[Book Spoiler] well gosh, that's a curious song to play at a wedding... huh? what?

I've red many post about people fearing that unsullied friends won't have such an amazing reaction about RW as book readers had, because unsullied friends simply don't like Robb and they predict his doom. I just hope that HBO shows at least something cool about Robb, which will give his fans back. What I wanted to say, that after Robb's marriage I also thought that he is doomed, till Cat's relief in Twins about guests safety. From that moment I was sure it will be alright ;) and so he spoke.. and so he spoke.. :)

I knew ahead of time that Rob was going to die, but did not know the circumstances nor did I have any suspicion that Cat was going to get a red smile. So the whole chapter was a real shock, and I genuinely felt relief when Walder offered them bread and meat, because Catlyn was relieved. After I read the short Arya chapter and thought she was dead too, I threw the book across the room. I quickly picked it back up and thumbed through to see if she had another chapter, and I was very relieved I could do that.

So my point is even if watchers know that Rob has it coming to him it will still be such a visceral shock they will not soon recover and the internet will explode. I can't wait.

I'm wondering if they'll do the whole thing as a flashback: open the episode with Stark bodies everywhere, or dead Catelyn on a riverbank, and then go back a week. I'm not saying I particularly like this idea, but I suspect by the time the episode comes around, many viewers are going to know it's the end of Robb, so the gut punch of his death won't be that effective - and maybe placing it at the very beginning, when no one expects it, would provide that gut punch. Making it more of a tragic doom rather than a long-spoiled "surprise" could be one way to deepen the shock.

Basically I hope there's something in the episode that throws me or surprises me, rather than just depicting what I've already read in the books. To be honest that's one of my biggest criticisms of the TV show so far: it's depicting the books well (especially this season so far), but not giving me much of a different perspective on them. The only exception that comes to mind is Margaery Tyrell, and I love how they're developing something the book leaves undepicted. TV's a different medium than novels, and I hope they can make use of that more: the visual shock of White Walkers' corpse patterns is one example; another is the way they edited Tyrion's manipulation of Littlefinger, Varys, and Maester Pycelle last season.

I think its weird that people are saying that Rob needs to be built up for the RW to have an impact - most of my friends who haven't read it basically think that GoT is pretty much a story about the Starks with a lot of other shit going on around it.

mmm.... uhh.... fine I'll say it... It basically is. Whether we want to admit it, and whether they're just grey, good, bad, or all turn out to be secret targs, that's what the series is mostly about. six out of nine POVs in book one (counting prologue) are Starks, and I am counting Jon because he is at a connected family member. the last book had a working title of A Time for Wolves. That's a bit flimsy, I know, but the "heroes" of the story are the Starks. GRRM said so in sports illustrated.

There is a bigger picture with ice and fire, but that's why there's such a focus on starks and targaryens.

Cat's death, and Ayra coming so close to being reuinted is just as heartbreaking, moreso than Robb dying for me personally.

Same... but even worse for me was the 3 or 4 chapters when I actually thought Bran and Rickon were burned to death.

At least for the RW I was somewhat numb to GRRM's level of raw by Book 3. .... Book 2 was still an ongoing process.

mmm.... uhh.... fine I'll say it... It basically is. Whether we want to admit it, and whether they're just grey, good, bad, or all turn out to be secret targs, that's what the series is mostly about. six out of nine POVs in book one (counting prologue) are Starks, and I am counting Jon because he is at a connected family member. the last book had a working title of A Time for Wolves. That's a bit flimsy, I know, but the "heroes" of the story are the Starks. GRRM said so in sports illustrated.

There is a bigger picture with ice and fire, but that's why there's such a focus on starks and targaryens.

Yeah no doubt but I still think people who watch the show think the story is more Stark-centred than people who read the book. Basically I am saying that the RW will be gutting for a lot of fans. They don't need to develop Robb's character to make that the case.

I'm wondering if they'll do the whole thing as a flashback: open the episode with Stark bodies everywhere, or dead Catelyn on a riverbank, and then go back a week. I'm not saying I particularly like this idea, but I suspect by the time the episode comes around, many viewers are going to know it's the end of Robb, so the gut punch of his death won't be that effective - and maybe placing it at the very beginning, when no one expects it, would provide that gut punch. Making it more of a tragic doom rather than a long-spoiled "surprise" could be one way to deepen the shock.

Basically I hope there's something in the episode that throws me or surprises me, rather than just depicting what I've already read in the books. To be honest that's one of my biggest criticisms of the TV show so far: it's depicting the books well (especially this season so far), but not giving me much of a different perspective on them. The only exception that comes to mind is Margaery Tyrell, and I love how they're developing something the book leaves undepicted. TV's a different medium than novels, and I hope they can make use of that more: the visual shock of White Walkers' corpse patterns is one example; another is the way they edited Tyrion's manipulation of Littlefinger, Varys, and Maester Pycelle last season.

I disagree wholeheartedly with the notion that the TV show depicts the books well to the point that gives no different perspective. And I have never heard this opinion elsewhere. But that's off topic.

The RW won't be done in a flashback. That would ruin it for people who don't know it's coming. It's one of the biggest, most pivotal points in the entire series. If it's done as an exact duplicate of Catelyn and Arya's chapters, count me happy.

I'm looking forward to see this, although I have to say I didn't feel it as much as for Cat and Robb as I did for poor Grey Wind :(

I was actually glad that Cat was out, now that I think of it.

I will never understand this line of thinking. Yes, it is very sad when animals die. For some reason, it is sadder to people than when people die. I am guilty of this line of thinking sometimes as well, but not here.

I cannot understand "I do not like this character, I am glad they died." when speaking about Cat. What about Arya and Sansa who have to live knowing their mother is murdered? What about Bran & Rickon? Edmure and Blackfish? She left behind many people and characters who cared deeply for her. To be glad over that makes no sense to me.

And it's not just about the deaths of Cat and Robb. The Red Wedding is about the final decimation of the North.

I'm really interested in how the RW will be handled. In the books it was Catelyn point of view that made it so heartbreaking for me, Robb getting stabbed in front of her eyes was horrible. I'm curious about Talisa also, I dislike this character and the story they have created for her, so I kind of hope that she just gets offed at the RW and that's it.

It's very simple: I just didn't like Cat. I didn't enjoy her chapters except this one. I don't feel pity for the rest of the characters to be honest. They're in the middle of a war. If I were to feel sorry for every character who loses someone they love reading would be a bad experience for me.

My feelings about Grey Wind have to do with the fact that they'll probably show it. When I read it I felt sorry for the poor animal, so loyal, dying far from his master, and that's all. Actually seeing it works differently for me. Somehow, I, like many others, are desensitized to human deaths but not to animals being killed... Anyway, that's an entirely different subject.

The saddest part of the rw for me was the fact that it had been teased for pretty much the whole book that cat and arya were going to be reunited. I wasn't the biggest fan of cat but I was actually extremely happy for her. I suspected rob would eventually die, but I figured it would be the Boltons betraying him at the war in the north, NOT at a wedding! It was quite surreal with aryas chapter prior to the rw when she FINALLY caught up to cat after so many chapters of travelling. I was waiting the whole of cats chapter for arya and the hound to burst in the door and witness one of the true happy moments of the series. Wow... What a bait and switch that turned out to be! Even once rob was killed, I still clinged onto hope that cat would live and be reunited with a captured arya or something. It was shocking to me when she died. The arya chapter that followed only made me angrier. I didn't quite believe she was dead (it was out of character for the hound to kill her), but I was in such agony I'm fairly certain I flicked through the book to see if she had any more chapters. Without doing that I couldn't actually focus on the rest of the story.

Archived