[Book Spoiler] well gosh, that's a curious song to play at a wedding... huh? what?

I hope that at some point in this episode, or in the preceeding episodes, the story behind the song 'The Rains of Castamere' is explained. I hope there is mention of the Raine/Tarbeck Rebellion and how Tywin put them to the sword. I think this will make the RW scene even more epic IMO.

In one of the trailers Tyrion is quoted as saying something along the lines of "7 Kingdoms in fear of Tywin Lannister". Perhaps this is in reference to what he did to the Raines, so maybe there is a scene where Tyrion is explaining this...

Do you agree? And do you think it will happen?

Do you think Sansa will appear in this episode? Its obviously going to focus on the Starks and Robb, Cat and Arya are definitely going to be in it. I can also see Jon and Bran appearing but dont think they really need to feature Kings Landing. I love the scenes and characters at the KIngs Landing but they (Tyrion, Cersei etc) have been featured in almost every episode so far in the entire series and i think this episode would be better if it didnt feature anything at Kings Landing. They need to build up to the big moment throughout the night, and i wouldnt really like it if they go from a scene with Robb and Cat to a scene at Kings Landing (or anybody else to be honest, i think it would be best to just focus on the Starks instead of jumping to Tyrion/Cersei/Stannis/Dany etc)

Most everyone is convinced that this episode will be all about the Red Wedding, which really suprised me because all along I had been assuming this episode will be about the Joffrey/Margery Purple Wedding. "Rains of Castamere" seems a better description of the Purple Wedding than the Red Wedding. Plus the show seems to be setting up the relationship between Joffrey and Margery.

On the other hand, there is not a whole hell of a lot left for Robb to do.

My best guess is that episode 9 will be about both Red and Purple Weddings:

They scratch the marriage between Tyrion and Sansa completely.

Tyrion spend all of season 4 in jail plotting his defense and escape.

Season 4 culminates in the Tyrion patricide.

The saddest part of the rw for me was the fact that it had been teased for pretty much the whole book that cat and arya were going to be reunited. I wasn't the biggest fan of cat but I was actually extremely happy for her. I suspected rob would eventually die, but I figured it would be the Boltons betraying him at the war in the north, NOT at a wedding! It was quite surreal with aryas chapter prior to the rw when she FINALLY caught up to cat after so many chapters of travelling. I was waiting the whole of cats chapter for arya and the hound to burst in the door and witness one of the true happy moments of the series. Wow... What a bait and switch that turned out to be! Even once rob was killed, I still clinged onto hope that cat would live and be reunited with a captured arya or something. It was shocking to me when she died. The arya chapter that followed only made me angrier. I didn't quite believe she was dead (it was out of character for the hound to kill her), but I was in such agony I'm fairly certain I flicked through the book to see if she had any more chapters. Without doing that I couldn't actually focus on the rest of the story.

:agree:

That, and Cat's death too. I never understood all the hate for Cat. She's not my favorite character, but I never hated her either.

When Robb died I wasn't sad for him. He had it coming for betraying his word. I was sad for Cat, because she had lost so much.

Most everyone is convinced that this episode will be all about the Red Wedding, which really suprised me because all along I had been assuming this episode will be about the Joffrey/Margery Purple Wedding. "Rains of Castamere" seems a better description of the Purple Wedding than the Red Wedding. Plus the show seems to be setting up the relationship between Joffrey and Margery.

On the other hand, there is not a whole hell of a lot left for Robb to do.

My best guess is that episode 9 will be about both Red and Purple Weddings:

They scratch the marriage between Tyrion and Sansa completely.

Tyrion spend all of season 4 in jail plotting his defense and escape.

Season 4 culminates in the Tyrion patricide.

No. It's about the RW solely, not the PW. It will be Blackwater-esque and focus on mostly one plot line. The PW is 99% not going to be in this season.

How is Raines of Castamere a better description for the PW? It's the song that kicks off the slaughter in the RW...

No. It's about the RW solely, not the PW. It will be Blackwater-esque and focus on mostly one plot line. The PW is 99% not going to be in this season.

How is Raines of Castamere a better description for the PW? It's the song that kicks off the slaughter in the RW...

They play it a lot at the PW, more of a celebration that a signal and warning. They play it in honor of Tywin and House Lannister in general.

Though I'd have mixed feelings about it, I really could see them coming both weddings in one episode, with those at the PW laughing and having a jolly good time right after the RW scenes, and then BAM, Joff is toast...ed.. hehe...

Having both weddings in one episode (while an interesting idea) would severely weaken the impact of either one, I think. And it's important for Sansa to know about the RW going into the PW. As far as she knows she's going to her last living relative.

It makes sense because the whole song is about what happens when you fuck with Tywin Lannister. Plus they play the Rains of Castemere right before killing the Northmen, Cat, and Robb, In fact, as a reader, when Cat notices they're playing that song, you know some awful shit is about to go down. That rendition of the song is way more powerful than the 12 times they play it in the PW.

There is nowhere near enough time to film both the RW and PW and do them both justice in the same 1 hour episode.

I really have to prepare myself emotionally and mentally for this episode. The build up we're seeing through Catelyn's grief is already enough.

I may have to request the following Monday off work, to drink myself into oblivion after this episode. The Hound won't be able to keep up with me.

I'm wondering if they'll do the whole thing as a flashback: open the episode with Stark bodies everywhere, or dead Catelyn on a riverbank, and then go back a week. I'm not saying I particularly like this idea, but I suspect by the time the episode comes around, many viewers are going to know it's the end of Robb, so the gut punch of his death won't be that effective - and maybe placing it at the very beginning, when no one expects it, would provide that gut punch. Making it more of a tragic doom rather than a long-spoiled "surprise" could be one way to deepen the shock.

D&D said they were going to avoid flashback scenes. Because of this I don't think they will use flashback. One of them said something like, "If we do one flashback scene, we'll have to do 1000. So no, no flashback scenes."

I think we can all definitely agree that this episode will end during the height of the RW. But what do you think will be the final scene? Cat getting slashed, Arya getting hit, GW's head on Robb?

I personally would like it to end with Cat getting her throat slashed, similar to Ned in S1E9. Then, similar to S1E10, opening scene for E10 is Arya getting knocked out (which will also be the last scene of Arya until S4 for cliffhanger). Then GW!Robb + Cat getting thrown into the water. E10 ends with BwB finding Cat's body, and the kiss of life.

I don't hate Talisa or anything but I'm hoping for good drama's sake, she's ousted as a traitor and replaces Jinglebell as being the person at the wedding who gets their throat slit by Cat. That, or she will be Lady Stoneheart's first kill instead of a few random Freys to give the moment more oomph.

I really like this particularly the latter with Stoneheart.

I think we can all definitely agree that this episode will end during the height of the RW. But what do you think will be the final scene? Cat getting slashed, Arya getting hit, GW's head on Robb?

I personally would like it to end with Cat getting her throat slashed, similar to Ned in S1E9. Then, similar to S1E10, opening scene for is Arya getting knocked out (which will also be the last scene of Arya until S4 for cliffhanger). Then GW!Robb + Cat getting thrown into the water. E10 ends with BwB finding Cat's body, and the kiss of life.

I think Robb will get offed and then we will see Catelyn freak out, screaming and laughing maniacally. Then the camera zooms into her face and a sound effect is made to insinuate she was stabbed, coupled with Cat gasping as one does when stabbed, and the scene cuts on her facial expression of her last breath as Catelyn Stark as she falls to her knees. Roll credits.

I think Robb will get offed and then we will see Catelyn freak out, screaming and laughing maniacally. Then the camera zooms into her face and a sound effect is made to insinuate she was stabbed, coupled with Cat gasping as one does when stabbed, and the scene cuts on her facial expression of her last breath as Catelyn Stark as she falls to her knees. Roll credits.

That would be an awful ending. It's gotta end with Arya meeting the Hound's axe.

Archived