Is Syrio Forel really dead?

This thread is not going to end well, not at all. There are people who just took it to be implied he died and there are those who never got the impression (yes, never got the impression, it is not a theory/wishful thinking), there is no official confirmation, so if you don't like to repeat and read the same things over and over, quit this thread while you still can!

http://asoiaf.wester...io-forel-lives/

If he died, I'm sure it would have been mentioned that he'd been killed considering he was a reasonably famous personality (First Sword of Braavos and whatnot). I found it odd.

If he died, I'm sure it would have been mentioned that he'd been killed considering he was a reasonably famous personality (First Sword of Braavos and whatnot). I found it odd.

'reasonably famous personality' = relatively well known in certain circles in Braavos. He's down on the hit list as Arya's dancing master, worth killing, but then lots of people are worth killing during a coup.

Using that same logic,

wouldn't someone mention that he had lived? Reasonably famous dancing master to a highborn lady. Find it odd.

If you stay posting on the board for a few more years this is something you might come to understand!

Perhaps... But already today, there is a lot of threads that I consider BS, and thus I simply skip them or read in fast-forward mode. :cool4:

For everyone else, apart from Syrionites like yourself, Syrio served his purpose in getting Arya as far as he did in AGOT. With each new mentor that she has, she grows a little further, to now we see in the House of Black and White she is able to keep secrets from the Kindly Old Man, eventually in true Bildungsroman style she will become an adult with no need of close mentor figures. The idea of a reintroduction of a Syrio is to restrict Arya and box her in. Arya is a hero in this story, Syrio isn't. He's a bit of the background.

I'm just having some fun with it at this point. I personally don't believe Syrio is alive, but I'm not ruling it out completely, and don't think it's especially prudent for anyone to rule him out completely.

jon snow and jaime lannister are more likely dead than syrio forel.

meryn trant, in full knight's gear with his visor down is not going to be able to strike down syrio. with 5 swords laying about, syrio easily picking one up off the ground would make him one of the most dangerous men in king's landing, if not all of westeros. the guy just killed five men with a wooden sword without getting touched. even if by some stroke of dumb luck meryn trant bested syrio, there is no way he would have been able to do so unscathed.

it's more likely that meryn trant, realizing that he was ridiculously overmatched, turned and ran. he could have easily made up some story that he went after the girl while leaving his men to fight syrio. it's bad enough that he lost the girl, but there is no way he, being a member of the king's guard, is going to openly admit that he was bested by a man with a broken wooden sword. and again, what are the odds that meryn trant would be able to kill syrio forel fully armored with his visor down?

most likely, we will not see syrio again. his part of the story is probably finished. but then again, he may prop up as a final test from the faceless men for arya. nonetheless, the odds that meryn trant struck down syrio forel would be about as likely as the portland trailblazers winning this year's world series.

...meryn trant, in full knight's gear with his visor down is not going to be able to strike down syrio. with 5 swords laying about, syrio easily picking one up off the ground would make him one of the most dangerous men in king's landing, if not all of westeros. the guy just killed five men with a wooden sword without getting touched. even if by some stroke of dumb luck meryn trant bested syrio, there is no way he would have been able to do so unscathed.

it's more likely that meryn trant, realizing that he was ridiculously overmatched, turned and ran. he could have easily made up some story that he went after the girl while leaving his men to fight syrio. it's bad enough that he lost the girl, but there is no way he, being a member of the king's guard, is going to openly admit that he was bested by a man with a broken wooden sword. and again, what are the odds that meryn trant would be able to kill syrio forel fully armored with his visor down?...

Yes that makes perfect sense. Mervyn Trant, trained since he was a boy in wearing armour (something specifically designed to allow you to move and fight) and using a sword (a special tool that allows you to kill people), faced by the most dangerous thing imaginable - an unamoured man with a broken stick within the reach of his sword - would obviously run away :rolleyes:

Yes that makes perfect sense. Mervyn Trant, trained since he was a boy in wearing armour (something specifically designed to allow you to move and fight) and using a sword (a special tool that allows you to kill people), faced by the most dangerous thing imaginable - an unamoured man with a broken stick within the reach of his sword - would obviously run away :rolleyes:

he's weighted, already slower than syrio otherwise, has limited vision, and now facing an armed syrio, who easily picked up a sword up off the ground. meryn's four best strikes and the most he could do was break a stick. meryn is a coward and proven so by his treatment of sansa at the urging of joffrey. that's a bull you're trying to milk.

edit: the guy killed five armed and lightly armored men with a wooden stick without getting touched, and now he has a sword.

Well what is the pointin disgussing ideas that have already been disgused when you could just read about them?

well, i figured most of the 12 pages were "he's dead" and "no, he's not" so i skipped it. does most everyone think meryn trant could strike down syrio forel? my guess is that he'd have a better chance of catching a cat in that suit of armor.

well, i figured most of the 12 pages were "he's dead" and "no, he's not" so i skipped it. does most everyone think meryn trant could strike down syrio forel? my guess is that he'd have a better chance of catching a cat in that suit of armor.

I think people tend to underestimate him, after all he is in the kingsguard and no mug.

i don't underestimate him. he did beat loras in tourney battle i believe, but again, syrio killed five armed and lightly armored men with a wooden stick without getting touched. he also has swords easily available to him. if it were barristan or jaime, then i would more likely believe syrio to be dead. but for trant to take him without grievous injury, i don't buy that.

ser meryn trant is a weak knight, it is known.

i don't underestimate him. he did beat loras in tourney battle i believe, but again, syrio killed five armed and lightly armored men with a wooden stick without getting touched. he also has swords easily available to him. if it were barristan or jaime, then i would more likely believe syrio to be dead. but for trant to take him without grievous injury, i don't buy that.

He was withing killing distance of Meryn's sword! how is he meant to pick up a sword without getting cut down first? even if he did he isn't a braod sword expert and so would have no chance against Meryn. also it has already been stated by in book 2 Cerci says how arya got away because 'her dancing master interfeared' to me this implies he died!

Syrio is a faceless man who's true identity is.... Ned Stark!

shame he went and got beheaded at the end of book one.

Do we ever see him in the same room? NO

Ned Stark likes Arya, Syrio likes Arya

They both conveniently get put in a black cell around the same time (Syrio was arrested by the KG and put in a black cell, as evidence by the fact Ned Stark is in a black cell)

The evidence is mounting.

Archived