Most Precise ASOIAF Timeline in Existence

PrivateMajor

So email the author so that these mistakes can be changed to make it even more precise, if you have the time and energy to point out the mistakes on here why not point them out to them so they can change it?

We can all make it better.

I did. No response.

I'm trying a PM, there's a hell of a lot of info in this thing that could be amazing with multiple input for the errors.

I went through reddit and got a response in less than an hour.

That's because I am a mod at /r/asoiaf - reddit is my place!

I'm very sorry that I don't have more time to look through all the responses here, but am happy that this thread got active again. This was a collaboration of effort between many, many people - I was just in charge of it.

If you want access to the timeline to make your own edits, you must do two things.

1) Take a solemn oath before the Olds Gods and the New that you will not vandalize the document.

2) Send me a reddit PM with your e-mail address (if you don't have it, either make an account or give your e-mail to someone who does) and I will add you to the list right away.

Thanks again!

-PrivateMajor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This timeline is amazing! It really helps with understanding the story better. I was just wondering on how the dates are estimated.

I also must agree with Lost Melnibonean:

I think there needs to be more time between Dany's arrival in Qarth, Barristan's departure fro Pentos & Barristan's arrival in Qarth.

Illyrio and the west have no way of knowing about the dragons until Jorah sends his last dispatch from Qarth. Let's say he does that when he goes to the docks after the arrive. Let's assume he finds a galley bound for Pentos with only one stop. I'm guessing it would take about a "turn." Let's say Barristan is waiting with Illyrio for word of Dany when the dispatch arrives and let's assume Illyrio is able to send Barristan with Groleo shortly thereafter. That would suggest to me you need at least two to three months.

All you'd have to do to fix it woukd be to push Barristan's departure back to late July.

Shouldn't Barristan have heard that Dany is in Qarth to know where he needs to go?

The journey from Pentos to Qarth (directly) takes about 37 days. The journey from Jorah’s messages about Qarth and the dragons (presumably send on the first day of their arrivel in Qarth) would take longer probably, since the ship (if he immediately found one), would probably make several stops along the way, assuming it would travel west again, and not east, going the other way around Essos. The possible stops include Slavers Bay, Volantis, Dorne, Myr, Lys, and Tyrosh, even possibly KL, before arriving in Pentos. Ships will probably stay at each port for two to three days, so let’s assume they stopped at three out of 6 possible stops, that’s another 9 days or so. Making the journey of the message 46 days long. This means that Dany was in Qarth for at least 83 days (two and a half months).

Is it possible for Dany to have been in Warth for 2 and a half months? Renly dies about a month before Dany meets Barristan. Travelling 37 days from Pentos to Qarth would mean Barristan missed the news of Renly's death (sailing a ship from KL to Pentos takes about 7 days I believe, it's not that far), if that news had even been send immediately.

Any solution for this? Because Barristans timeframe in between his dismissal and him arriving in Qarth always confuses me.

It seems to me there's a problem with the first sighting of the comet. The timeline has it by Dany and the Dothrakis on 20/01/299. But the comet is first mentioned in aGoT in Bran VII, the day the news of Ned's death reaches Winterfell.

"For a certainty," Maester Luwin agreed with a deep sigh. The maester was peering through his big Myrish lens tube, measuring shadows and noting the position of the comet that hung low in the morning sky.

And the timeline has Bran VII on 02/01/299. Assuming the comet becomes visible on the whole planet at the same time, there shouldn't be a 18-day delay between Bran VII and Daenerys X.

Half the travel from Braavos to Oldtown is going North to South, and that doesn't even account for getting through the Stepstones, which would necessarily delay the journey. Even if we were being generous, that trip is 3 months at best, especially with what we have to compare it to. Just think how long it took Victarion to make the trip to Meereen. Incidentally, does the timeline actually assume that Sam passed the entire Iron Fleet while traveling in the opposite direction?

wind powered vessels travel fastest with a cross wind, not direct tail wind.

And the timeline has Bran VII on 02/01/299. Assuming the comet becomes visible on the whole planet at the same time, there shouldn't be a 18-day delay between Bran VII and Daenerys X.

I've been thinking about it a little more, follow me :

In aGot :

* At the end of Arya V, Ned is beheaded under Joffrey's command, page 703 in my edition

* At the beginning of Bran VII, the comet is mentioned for the first time in the book, page 705 in my edition, so 2 pages later only.

So, assuming the date 02/01/299 in the timeline is correct for Luwin's observation, we would have :

* 01/01/299 after sunset, Dany and the Dothrakis spot the comet for the first time

* During the night between 01/01/299 and 02/01/299, both Bran and Rickon have the same dream of Ned visiting them in the crypts of Winterfell

* 02/01/299 in the morning, Maester Luwin watches the comet through his lens tube

* 01/01/300 at the Purple Wedding, Joffrey, responsible for Ned's death, dies exactly one year after the first spotting of the comet

It works well, isn't it ?

wind powered vessels travel fastest with a cross wind, not direct tail wind.

Doesn't that depend on the rig? I thought purely square rigged ships were fastest when running before the wind.

Although my knowledge of the subject does come exclusively from playing the 1987 version of Pirates! so perhaps it should be taken with a few tons of salt.

• 1 month later...

According to the timeline, it took the Iron Banker about a month to go from the Wall to Stannis's camp. Jeyne, Alysane, Massey and co. departed for the Wall before 10 days of Jon's assassination. When they arrive to the Wall, it will be 20 days passed from Jon's assassination. Does anyone have an idea what will be the situation at the Wall when they arrive?

Archived