[Book Spoilers] Official Theon Thread

BananaSpice

I never shipped it whilst reading the books, but the show is really bringing on the Theon/Ramsay. Like, a LOT. My brain is simultaniously enjoying this new development, and trying to push it away.

Also, the fact that Ramsay saved Theon from impending rape reads slightly like a fanfiction. I don't know what to make of it. My BRAIN doesn't know what to make of it.

I don't know whether to look forward to their relationship or not. Darn it.

This is what I do to deal with this 'Episode 3 Hysteria':

:bang:

I not thure if ith working yet.

Ramsey killing the men serves no purpose except to further convince the viewers he is a "good guy," so his heel turn will be more shocking. Does it make sense...of course not. Especially not in times of war. However if you are going to hold this show to the standard that characters make intelligent decisions consistent with the greater plot or their characterization from the source material, you will always be disappointed.

Ramsey killing the men serves no purpose except to further convince the viewers he is a "good guy," so his heel turn will be more shocking. Does it make sense...of course not. Especially not in times of war. However if you are going to hold this show to the standard that characters make intelligent decisions consistent with the greater plot or their characterization from the source material, you will always be disappointed.

It's in character, b/c Ramsay doesn't make intelligent decisions most of the time ... in fact, his father chides him about this and wants him to be more discreet / less rash.

It's in character, b/c Ramsay doesn't make intelligent decisions most of the time ... in fact, his father chides him about this and wants him to be more discreet / less rash.

I agree. Ramsy is a complete psychopath. If anyone is going to kill their own men in order to play mindgames with a helpless captive it's going to be him. It's not like he left any survivors to blame it on him.

lol @ "season 3 hysteria" ... I feel like that sums up ALL MY FEELINGS ABOUT EVERYTHING for the past month, hah

:laugh:

I'll take your advice. I think I'd prefer banging my head against a wall to seeing Ramsay as a shippable character. *shudders*

For the night is dark... and full of Ramsay.Terrors,

I agree. Ramsy is a complete psychopath. If anyone is going to kill their own men in order to play mindgames with a helpless captive it's going to be him. It's not like he left any survivors to blame it on him.

A good point. Honestly if anyone makes less sense it's Locke imo... but a different thought for a different thread.

It makes total sense that Ramsay would kill the Bolton men for shits and giggles and to set himself up as Theon's "rescuer", I'm surprised that people who've read the books are even puzzled by his behavior. He's an impulsive, psychotic idiot at heart, and in his mind everyone else only exists to further his own entertainment - this is one one of those moments for you to look back on after the reveal of his identity, and go "Wait, did he kill his own men just for the hell of it?" yep

I really like watching it knowing that this guy is just bad news. It hurts more because I get inside Theon's head this way. "Yara sent someone for me! I am not going to die here! I'm being saved!" you get the ups and downs Theon is feeling but you know the whole time where it will end... It's painful to watch.

I really like watching it knowing that this guy is just bad news. It hurts more because I get inside Theon's head this way. "Yara sent someone for me! I am not going to die here! I'm being saved!" you get the ups and downs Theon is feeling but you know the whole time where it will end... It's painful to watch.

All of this.

I really think the next couple of seasons are going to be an emotional rollercoaster regarding Theon's arc. I'm anticipating it with gritted teeth.

Anyone have any thoughts on when Ramsay might start to turn on Theon? Or will it be a very gradual thing?

All of this.

I really think the next couple of seasons are going to be an emotional rollercoaster regarding Theon's arc. I'm anticipating it with gritted teeth.

Anyone have any thoughts on when Ramsay might start to turn on Theon? Or will it be a very gradual thing?

I hope it's sudden, but I don't know when it will happen. It should happen suddenly to leave the viewers as confused and hurt as Theon.

It makes total sense that Ramsay would kill the Bolton men for shits and giggles and to set himself up as Theon's "rescuer", I'm surprised that people who've read the books are even puzzled by his behavior. He's an impulsive, psychotic idiot at heart, and in his mind everyone else only exists to further his own entertainment - this is one one of those moments for you to look back on after the reveal of his identity, and go "Wait, did he kill his own men just for the hell of it?" yep

actually Ramsey is calculated and cunning. Where do you find him so impulsive?

He's a sociopath for sure, but most sociopaths are very much detail oriented.

actually Ramsey is calculated and cunning. Where do you find him so impulsive?

He's a sociopath for sure, but most sociopaths are very much detail oriented.

I think he's calculating and detail oriented when it comes to his own sadistic perversions ... but not as a Lord / leader or when it comes to politics. In ADWD Roose basically calls him out on being an idiot b/c "people are talking" about how cruel and monstrous he is. He does a lot of impulsive things (like killing everyone and burning down Winterfell forcing Lady Hornwood to marry him and then starving her to death) ... none of these were very smart and he didn't think about the long term consequences / results.

I can see this line of thinking, and as I let my reader self go and try and appreciate the show as something more loosely based on A Song of Ice and Fire, the more I enjoy it. There certainly is something scarier about a guy who'll kill his own men just to eff with your head ever worse

I think he's calculating and detail oriented when it comes to his own sadistic perversions ... but not as a Lord / leader or when it comes to politics. In ADWD Roose basically calls him out on being an idiot b/c "people are talking" about how cruel and monstrous he is. He does a lot of impulsive things (like killing everyone and burning down Winterfell forcing Lady Hornwood to marry him and then starving her to death) ... none of these were very smart and he didn't think about the long term consequences / results.

I don't think putting winterfell to the torch or marrying lady hornwood were impulsive.

I don't think he's wasteful enough to kill his own men but he certainly makes some questionable decisions. In the books he's quite loyal to the dreadfort and certainly doesn't throw dreadfort lives away.

Ramsay has a definite low cunning, but he's selfish and idiotic to the extreme - even in ADWD when "Arya" is the Bolton's only hope of keeping the other northmen from smoking their asses he can't restrain himself. Lady Dustin tells Theon that for everyone's sake, Ramsay should "teach his new bride to laugh" - instead he tells her he's going to cut off her feet to keep her from running and further brutalizes her at every turn. Her sobs are pretty much constantly echoing throughout the grounds of Wintefell.

He was a lot more calculating before ADWD, imo. His mind games and the Reek switcharound in ACOK show some measure of cleverness. I think being legitimized made him too comfortable in his own position, leading to him going even more out of control, but he was always like that to a certain extent.

Archived