[Book Spoilers] Official Theon Thread

BananaSpice

Since I only linked to it in the "You little bastard" thread, I'll repost. For real, dat swagga!

Love it! He definitely has a look like, "You broke the fucking rules. You don't get to touch him." instead of a "What the fuck are you doing to that man who I was trying to set free? You are sick"

That's definitely one of those moments people are gonna look back on and be like, "Aw, shit, it was obvious."

They want to believe, haha. Especially if you're already a Misfits fan, because Iwan Rheon's character went from being a supremely creepy fucker to just being an off-kilter nerd, they're probably expecting a similar slightly creepy and weird but 'misunderstood' kind of character since this show really casts actors based on similarities to some of their most popular roles. (Natalie Dormer as Anne Boleyn 2.0, Sean Bean as Ned Stark, etc.)

Seriously. How can non-readers look at that death glare and not see a bad guy. <_<

Out of context both present and future, that gif makes my heart flutter. Ehee! The repulsion and horror can commence next episode.

I asked a non-reader friend who has not been quasi-spoiled (a la my father) and his reply was like "I WANT to think he's helping Theon, but something's off. Why would he not have told Theon he'd be shadowing him?"

They can believe because the death glare, and the arrows, could be taken as his rage that these men have so mistreated Theon, whom he was trying to save. I read some critique by a non-book reader who called Boy 'that cute young Ninja, come to rescue Theon.' HA!! And yes, the Unsullied over at TWoP are dreading that 'Simon' whom they loved from 'Misfits' might turn out to be a bad guy. Although one poster over there said he/she would look forward to a truly evil, evil character, 'not idiot evil like Joffrey, but truly terrifyingly evil.' HA, again! Welcome to Boy!

I asked a non-reader friend who has not been quasi-spoiled (a la my father) and his reply was like "I WANT to think he's helping Theon, but something's off. Why would he not have told Theon he'd be shadowing him?"

Ahh, your friend is a smart one! Very good point.

They can believe because the death glare, and the arrows, could be taken as his rage that these men have so mistreated Theon, whom he was trying to save. I read some critique by a non-book reader who called Boy 'that cute young Ninja, come to rescue Theon.' HA!! And yes, the Unsullied over at TWoP are dreading that 'Simon' whom they loved from 'Misfits' might turn out to be a bad guy. Although one poster over there said he/she would look forward to a truly evil, evil character, 'not idiot evil like Joffrey, but truly terrifyingly evil.' HA, again! Welcome to Boy!

Ramsay is a little idiot too, though far worse evil than Joff.

the truly terrifying evil wold be Euron i believe.

Theon’s torturer and near sodomizer may be an ersatz Reek I, poising as Ramsay. Ramsay kills him and the others because they disobeyed; either they were ordered to hold Theon safe until he arrived or let him escape. In the books Ramsay switches identities with Reek to escape Rodrick’s vengeance and sacrifices him. In Episode 4 Ramsay takes Theon to the ruins of Winterfell and reveals what became of Dagmer and his men after they surrendered. Just like at Moat Cailin in ADWD they have been flayed. He explains that because he had to kill his Reek, Theon will replace him. Or something like that.

Theon’s torturer and near sodomizer may be an ersatz Reek I, poising as Ramsay. Ramsay kills him and the others because they disobeyed; either they were ordered to hold Theon safe until he arrived or let him escape. In the books Ramsay switches identities with Reek to escape Rodrick’s vengeance and sacrifices him. In Episode 4 Ramsay takes Theon to the ruins of Winterfell and reveals what became of Dagmer and his men after they surrendered. Just like at Moat Cailin in ADWD they have been flayed. He explains that because he had to kill his Reek, Theon will replace him. Or something like that.

They wouldn't cast a recognizable and respected actor in a role that eventually amounts to shooting a couple of arrows and pulling a bag off someone's head only to replace that actor with someone who actually hasn't even been cast in the first place.

Oh, was that Ramsay? Wow. I was wondering; I figured it was either him or Reek.

Even if Ramsay's introduction was cut in the second season they're replicating the feeling of confusion concerning him and his identity very well. It feels faithful, even if it isn't a direct adaptation. I think this is the plotline I'm looking forward to the most in fact, not only because Theon is a favorite character but because it's basically completely new ground, even if it's pulling material from flashbacks. It's the first time we won't know exactly what's happening!

It's more than a little odd to see Ramsay being played by such a ridiculously attractive individual when his physical description in the books emphasized his ugliness so much. That swagga gif is definitely compelling. ;) He's going to be much less attractive when he's "hunting" women, flaying people, and breaking poor Theon's teeth, that's a certainty.

This version of the character could work better than the overt monster, inside and out, that he was in the books. With a pretty but unassuming face to hide behind, his proclivities will be more discreet and unexpected, but all the more horrifying. Very Ted Bundy-ish, as someone mentioned.

I can't be the only one who wanted to talk to the screen like a slasher movie. "Theon, nooo, get away from the bad man!" :lol:

Even if Ramsay's introduction was cut in the second season they're replicating the feeling of confusion concerning him and his identity very well. It feels faithful, even if it isn't a direct adaptation. I think this is the plotline I'm looking forward to the most in fact, not only because Theon is a favorite character but because it's basically completely new ground, even if it's pulling material from flashbacks. It's the first time we won't know exactly what's happening!

It's more than a little odd to see Ramsay being played by such a ridiculously attractive individual when his physical description in the books emphasized his ugliness so much. That swagga gif is definitely compelling. ;) He's going to be much less attractive when he's "hunting" women, flaying people, and breaking poor Theon's teeth, that's a certainty.

This version of the character could work better than the overt monster, inside and out, that he was in the books. With a pretty but unassuming face to hide behind, his proclivities will be more discreet and unexpected, but all the more horrifying. Very Ted Bundy-ish, as someone mentioned.

I can't be the only one who wanted to talk to the screen like a slasher movie. "Theon, nooo, get away from the bad man!" :lol:

I think his generally well regarded appearance will only be more shocking when we find out how much of a monster he is. If he looked like the pudgy, ugly, worm-lipped guy he is in the books, people would probably think to trust him less.

I agree with this being a somehow faithful yet invented plot line. They can't just cut Theon for 2 seasons and be like oh hey remember this guy from 4 years ago well yeah now he's totally different, in fact the actor isn't even available anymore so here's someone who kinda looks like him! It works better in books that way. Plus, it being totally new is something suspenseful and compelling to look forward to watching even if it is pretty horrible.

Yeah, this is the storyline I am most interested in as well this season. And I think Iwan Rheon will nail the role, even though he is much better looking than book!Ramsay. He is perfect at making creepy faces:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1tzkzKvyl1r88zzj.gif

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FOVTB4T-K7A/UA2Dy6Tyh-I/AAAAAAAAAxI/AR4bG5V0Nlg/s1600/ramsay.jpg

Am I the only one who doesn't find him attractive at all?

The actor? Possibly, he's quite cute. ;)

I would like to think that no-one actually finds the character attractive in that way, though. ... Right? He's hardly a misunderstood bad boy. Then again, people even glamorize real life serial killers, so I suppose it wouldn't surprise me if there's people out there who want a dog named after them or sexualize his treatment of Theon Greyjoy. :dunno:

Yeah, this is the storyline I am most interested in as well this season. And I think Iwan Rheon will nail the role, even though he is much better looking than book!Ramsay. He is perfect at making creepy faces:

http://media.tumblr....Kvyl1r88zzj.gif

http://1.bp.blogspot...1600/ramsay.jpg

Whoa, that smile! I'm sure he'll do just fine as Ramsay.

Oh, I like Ramsay as a villain, much the same way I love the TV version of Joffrey. I like any character who makes me feel an intense emotion, even if it's "Die bastard!" "Love to hate 'em" at its finest. The jury's out for me on Euron. He has to do more than influence bad dreams and dye his lips.

As for Iwan Rheon in the role, hells yes he's hot. I go weak for "cold beauty" types. From a purely physical standpoint; I don't fancy the character...ew. I do think his relationship with Theon is fascinating in all its Stockholmy, horrible glory, so I'm looking forward to how the show handles it.

Gaaah he was so creepy in early Misfits episodes.

Archived