[Book Spoilers] Meereenese Knot

This one wanted to simply post an appreciation for the witty use, and illustration, of the term "Meereenese Knot" this episode, if it was indeed meant to be a witty use of the term.

Those who have read the books and the forums know what it really refers to, which made it even better.

That is all.

I read the books, but still don't understand what this is about. Can someone explained what I missed? The "Mereeneese Knot" showed up in a review as a GRRM nod to book readers.

Also...I think LF is using his girls on Pod to find out who Tyrion is involved with (Shae). Why else spend time on that dialogue between LF and Tyrion and "ask Cersi"?

It seems funny now, maybe Bronn and Tyrion don't suspect it, but the girls weren't giving anything away for free. If they aren't suspicious, they are incredibly foolish.

I read the books, but still don't understand what this is about. Can someone explained what I missed? The "Mereeneese Knot" showed up in a review as a GRRM nod to book readers

The "Mereenese knot" expression refers to the reason why DwD took so long to write. Martin coined that expression in an interview during which he explained, if I'm not mistaken, that he needed a certain set of characters to all converge to Meereen but couldn't find a way to do so organically and it became like an inextricable knot in the plot.

I never got why the Meereneese knot was such a big deal.

I vaguely recall that GRRM was going to do things really differently but then he thought of using Barristan Selmy as a point of view and it suddenly became clear. Because as it stands, I can't see what specifically made writing the convergent storylines at Meereen so difficult.

The "Mereenese knot" expression refers to the reason why DwD took so long to write. Martin coined that expression in an interview during which he explained, if I'm not mistaken, that he needed a certain set of characters to all converge to Meereen but couldn't find a way to do so organically and it became like an inextricable knot in the plot.

i was under the impression that "mereenese knot" was a play on the Gordian knot, which is a myth associated with Alexander the Great, in which an intractable problem is solved by thinking outside the box. While im sure everything you said might be true, im almost certain the origin is this.

i was under the impression that "mereenese knot" was a play on the Gordian knot, which is a myth associated with Alexander the Great, in which an intractable problem is solved by thinking outside the box. While im sure everything you said might be true, im almost certain the origin is this.

Yes, The Lost Direwolf is correct in what the term refers to and you're correct in that the name is derived from the Gordian knot.

I vaguely recall that GRRM was going to do things really differently but then he thought of using Barristan Selmy as a point of view and it suddenly became clear. Because as it stands, I can't see what specifically made writing the convergent storylines at Meereen so difficult.

I seem to recall that GRRM actually felt the need to write out the different versions of events involved in different characters arriving at Meereen at different times before finally deciding who would arrive when and settling on his final version. I feel a lot of sympathy for the guy, that approach must have involved a hell of a lot of work.

I seem to recall that GRRM actually felt the need to write out the different versions of events involved in different characters arriving at Meereen at different times before finally deciding who would arrive when and settling on his final version. I feel a lot of sympathy for the guy, that approach must have involved a hell of a lot of work.

Martin doesn't outline his books the way some writers do. He keeps the story in his head and takes a "gardener" perspective when writing his books. When it comes to the knot, you are both right. Martin wrote out multiple versions of the Meereen storyline, changing the order which others arrived (Quentyn, Vic, Tyrion, etc.) and the version he felt worked best is what we got in the books. The second big problem he had was how to write out the Mereen story the way he wanted with Dany gone. This is how Barry became a POV.

I sadly did not get the Meereeneese knot reference. I usually relisten to the scenes if I have trouble understanding, but during this scene it seemed unnecessary since I figured they are not saying anything important anyway, and I wanted to get the scene done with. So I only caught "Meereneese" something. Only on the forum did I get what it was about. It is a nice shout out, really.

This one wanted to simply post an appreciation for the witty use, and illustration, of the term "Meereenese Knot" this episode, if it was indeed meant to be a witty use of the term.

Those who have read the books and the forums know what it really refers to, which made it even better.

That is all.

What's odd (and I posted this elsewhere) if there are two seasons beyond 4 there may be a defacto version of the Knot!

Martin doesn't outline his books the way some writers do. He keeps the story in his head and takes a "gardener" perspective when writing his books. When it comes to the knot, you are both right. Martin wrote out multiple versions of the Meereen storyline, changing the order which others arrived (Quentyn, Vic, Tyrion, etc.) and the version he felt worked best is what we got in the books. The second big problem he had was how to write out the Mereen story the way he wanted with Dany gone. This is how Barry became a POV.

Interesting. I thought Barry's chapters worked really well.

• 1 month later...

I still think they should have used that contortionist for another Littlefinger sexposition scene.

"So Littlefinger, how do you intend to bring the Vale of Arryn over to our side?"

"Like this!"

Littlefinger summons Kaila, ties her into a knot so no-one can tell which end is which, then fucks her.

Archived