Tattooing: The Sequel-Not Loved Enough as Children...

MercenaryChef

Hm. I could proooobably get down to 00 by the end of the year, assuming my flesh cooperates. I've got some scar tissue on the right one that gets angry when I stretch, and it take a while to heal properly every time. But 7/16th, I figure that's got to be at least another year after that. That's a lot of time and effort.

Then again, it's not like I'm using my lobes for anything else.

i went from 20 to 14 to 12 to 8 to 4 to 0 to 00 to 7/16"

but my lobes are eager and willing.

When I first got pierced it was at 10, I think. Maybe 12. The piercer said I had great lobes and should be able to stretch a lot. This has proven to not be the case. I learned the hard way that I had to take time, time and more time. Damn my collagen-happy body!

You can get emu oil in most natural food type stores and most good piercing shops

Similarly, if a local shop doesn't have it, you could always try online. I got mine from an online piercing shop. In addition to selling larger bottles, you could choose a small bottle (think dropper size) if you bought above $x worth. With the expense of the larger-gauge jewellery, it wouldn't take much to get to that level. Of course, now it's also right on amazon and other online sellers, too, if you don't need new plugs yet.

• 2 months later...

getting my first not-easily-covered-by-clothing tattoo today. I guess I just love Blue Öyster cult that much.

w00t.

Yeah, can still cover all of mine easily enough. Though, trying to keep my healing half sleeve covered atm makes me realise that I don't really own enough tops with sleeves that come down to my elbow...

The next totally new thing (rather than additions to existing work) I get done is going to be on the inside of my lower arm (pretty much where Xray has hers). I guess that's as dangerous as I get.

So, the past year or so I've been contemplating getting half-sleeve tattoos to cover some scarring I have. I went in for a cold consult when I first started thinking about it and was told that it would pretty much be impossible to cover the scars that I have, but then have talked to a couple of people and have seen some stuff online that makes me think it could be possible.

The scars are hypertrophic scars and the biggest problem I guess is that there are a lot of them in close proximity. I've asked around a bit to try and find some artists in my area who are experienced in working with scar cover-ups, but haven't received any solid answers. So, first of all, should wanting to get them covered up be something I should give up on and, second, how do I go about finding an artist who's an expert on scar cover-ups?

I know very little about this, but I know that it is possible to cover some scars with tattoos. Is it Professor Green who covered part of a scar with a tattoo? I also know that severely damaged skin can be difficult to tattoo. Have you tried going for consultations with different artists? They should be more clued up on this kind of subject.

I haven't had any work done since I had my thestral. I still need my half sleeve finished, and I've finally found the design I want, but money is an issue.

Kay, you're very brave. I'm such a wimp, I couldn't stand the pain. My leg was painful enough. I'm sure it'll look awesome.

Two weeks from today I am shaving and tattooing my head. Part of it will go onto my face a little. Not joking.

Awesome. :cheers: When I thought I was gonna lose most of my hair due to some anti-Herman drugs I was taking, I decided that I would just shave it all off and get a skull tattoo. That hasn't yet come to pass (still got a full head of hair), but who knows what the future will bring.

Hm. I could proooobably get down to 00 by the end of the year, assuming my flesh cooperates. I've got some scar tissue on the right one that gets angry when I stretch, and it take a while to heal properly every time. But 7/16th, I figure that's got to be at least another year after that. That's a lot of time and effort.

Then again, it's not like I'm using my lobes for anything else.

I'm at just over an inch in both ears. Not sure if I am going to go any bigger yet.

What are some common mistakes people make with their first tattoo? I'm seriously thinking about getting one but I don't know if I'm considering everything.

Also how do you know what place to go to? Ask around and see what people say? Check out the previous work of the artist?

Listen to what other people say, after first making sure they are not a Juggalo. Check out portfolios. Make sure the port includes healed work -- don't be afraid to ask. You really can't do enough research. Be prepared to spend a lot of money -- unless the artist is your brother-in-law, a good tattoo will not come cheap.

Common mistakes: Not spending enough time thinking about the tattoo. Letting a guy you just met at a house party do it in the kitchen. Picking a shop and design because you walked past it while drunk. Being insufficiently badass.

Right, that's kind of what I figured.

I know the general motif I want to get done, but I haven't decided on the specifics yet (amount of detail, size, placement, colour or B/W, etc.). So I guess I better get to researching this.

Great Unwashed- if your scar tissue is texturally different than the rest of your skin, as in it is more than just a color difference (can you find it by touch, is its sheen in light different?), it will not hold ink the same way as the rest of your skin. Also, even if it did, these differences of texture will be more obvious on tattooed skin because it is darker. Because of these things, tattooing many scars makes them MORE noticeable, not less. I wouldn't be able to tell for sure without touching a scar if I'd tattoo it or not, but probably the artist you saw was right. The VAST MAJORITY of tattoo pictures on the internet are bad ideas that won't heal well, passed around by people who share it because they've never seen anything like it. The reason you don't see anything like it (white ink, tattoos along the arch of the foot or sides of the fingers, coverage of heavy scar tissue, putting lighter ink over darker ink in cover ups) is because they turn out badly. It looks good enough on the day it is done to take a nice picture, but a few years down the line you could end up with an irreversible mess. Scouring the internet for proof of what you want to hear instead of heeding advice you have been given by a professional who has seen your scar is not very smart. If you want other opinions, find an artist in your area who has a portfolio with large pieces- sleeve work, back pieces, chest panels, schedule a consultation so they can hear what you would want (this will make a difference) and examine the tissue in person. Don't listen to anyone who can fit you in just after tax time for a half sleeve in under 3 weeks. Anyone good should be very busy right now, industrywide, this is the busiest time of year. If that person says it isn't a good idea or won't produce the quality of work they want in their portfolio, listen to them. You can always find shady tattooists who either aren't experienced enough to know what is going to hold up over time or who don't care how your tattoo looks, only how your money spends. Don't just go find them.

Archived