(Book Spoilers) Gendry

When I first saw that I was wondering what they hell they were doing going to KL.

Thought so also but I think it kind of fits for a pass-by in looking at the map. Not sure that Mel ever said they were on the Trident. The book suggests they are somewhere south of the Trident but not so close to Riverrun. We know they are south of the Trident since the Hound crosses the Trident with Arya to get to the Twins.

So they could very well be on those lakes or tributaries that become Blackwater Rush

I don't think Gendry will go back to the Brotherhood. The fact that he bumps into Brienne and essentially saves her life is an inconsequential plot point that is easily written around.

However, it will interesting to see if they do more with him than ship him off to the Free Cities. It might be good for the show to stick with a character the viewers know. The way Melisandre is treating him suggests that she is not necessarily interested in sacrificing him like she was with Edric in the books. The trailers indicate that she will be using Gendry's blood to curse the four kings. My recollection is that, in the books, she used Stannis' blood for that. So perhaps Gendry will have an ongoing use that keeps him around.

As for sailing by KL, their ship was not marked as a "Stannis" ship. Absent flying Stannis' flag, there's no reason for anyone to think the people on the ship had anything to do with Stannis. It's not like Stannis uses a different type of ship than people in KL or the surrounding kingdoms like the Iron Islanders do. Tons of nondescript boats go in and out of KL all the time. It's one of, if not THE, biggest ports in the Seven Kingdoms.

I agree. But Stannis in the show is much farther up Mel's ass than the one in the books.

YES! Stannis in the show seems weaker and too 'sold' on the "One True God" theme than Stannis from the books ever was. Stannis struggled with the constant zealous attitudes of his wife, Melisandre and the men who had easily converted over from his army. He disliked it for the most part and seemed to just go along with Mel's ideas simply because he knew she did hold magical powers and he wanted that advantage politically, not religiously.

I don't really know if show Stannis has the balls to stand up to Melisandre and prevent her from burning Gendry as was argued / fought about in the books with Edric. And in the books, Edric even grew up with his daughter and was like a foster son to him.

I'd like to see Gendry up up the squire of either Stannis or Davos. With Stannis, it might make more sense because he promises Jon that he'll try to rescue Arya. Of course, we all know it's not really Arya.

Davos could be a better pairing. Gendry could be his squire and his surrogate son and it would give him someone from the cast to hang around with as he travels to White Harbour and Skaagos. He would be involved in a mission to retrieve Arya's youngest brother. Although why he would want to be associated with someone in any way who wanted to burn him alive like Melisandre is beyong me.

I'd like to see Gendry up up the squire of either Stannis or Davos. With Stannis, it might make more sense because he promises Jon that he'll try to rescue Arya. Of course, we all know it's not really Arya.

You know, this got me to thinking - what a terrific way for Gendry, who wasn't there in the books, to be the big reveal about fake Arya ... he shows up and of all the people who have been duped into believing it's Arya Stark because most of them never met her or knew what she looked like, Gendry would be the greatest witness to the deceit when he sees it's not really Arya married to Ramsay at all. I love that idea. That's assuming Jon Snow himself isn't there to confirm it's not Arya either.

Am I the only one that doesn't really care if Gendry is there to save Brienne.I feel like he would be a lot more interesting paired up with a bunch of other characters over Brienne. For instance I like their decision to pair him up with Mel and Stannis as I think putting Stannis in the position of having to repeat the decision of whether to kill his sibling, one that we actually know, makes that pairing potentially interesting,

My question is, why isnt anyone in kings landing curious as to why a Stannis ship is sailing that close to the redkeep

The ship had white sails which is usually a sign of surrender or peace or something.

Anyways I thought the scene was great, it makes me wonder what direction they are going to take Gendry's character in the show. I doubt he just goes back to the brotherhood.

Am I the only one that doesn't really care if Gendry is there to save Brienne.I feel like he would be a lot more interesting paired up with a bunch of other characters over Brienne. For instance I like their decision to pair him up with Mel and Stannis as I think putting Stannis in the position of having to repeat the decision of whether to kill his sibling, one that we actually know, makes that pairing potentially interesting,

Gendry is Stannis' nephew, not his brother, but I understood what you meant. The fact Stannis was willing to have his brother assassinated is important to remember however, since that would lead us to believe sacrificing a nephew is far less of a moral issue for him regardless if it were Edric or Gendry. I too like having Gendry paired up with either Stannis or Davos and think they can probably do away with his meeting Brienne for the purposes of the new story arc.

Who would legitimize Gendry? In the Wiki great emphasis is put on the biological father.

Then we have Stanis willing to do it for Jon, I have great doubts that Stanis is Jon's father.

In this universe , as far as I remember is complicated, I think the father thing is true, but it can the Pope...

The High (sparrow) Septon is the one most likely to legitimize Gendry, so long as he renounces the Red God. The Seven choosing "The Smith" incarnate as it were. A humble king that could be swayed by the resurgent Church.

Show Gendry is less likely to continue to follow The Lord of Light after what he's about to go through. If book Brienne had a mind to bring Gendry to KL, would Jaime go along with it? Would he admit that Tommen & Myrcella were his bastards?

The High (sparrow) Septon is the one most likely to legitimize Gendry, so long as he renounces the Red God. The Seven choosing "The Smith" incarnate as it were. A humble king that could be swayed by the resurgent Church.

Show Gendry is less likely to continue to follow The Lord of Light after what he's about to go through. If book Brienne had a mind to bring Gendry to KL, would Jaime go along with it? Would he admit that Tommen & Myrcella were his bastards?

Ok, responding to yourself is gauche, but here goes...

Saw a response to the Bran prophesy that plays here- generally understood to be Ser Robert Strong looming over Jaime and the Hound, but someone pointed out that the snarling dog's head helm might be taken up by Brienne (since she killed its most recent owner)

So say Brienne becomes champion of the Faith against Cercei's invincible unGregor to prove or disprove her guilt of treason/twincest. The fight starts, Brienne strikes some good blows but will inevitably lose. Before she can be killed, Jaime jumps into the ring and admits that Tommen is his son. The Faith wins the trial after all, Cercei is sentenced to death (at the hand of the valonquar), but they're left with- ok, the Baratheon kids are Lannister bastards, does that make R'hllor worshipping Stannis king? Not so fast, says the High Sparrow, the Seven legitimize Robert's first born son who our champion just brought to us. BTW Jaime, you're pardoned for your treason/twincest. Now, What's that noise? Elephants at the gates?

I don't really know if show Stannis has the balls to stand up to Melisandre and prevent her from burning Gendry as was argued / fought about in the books with Edric. And in the books, Edric even grew up with his daughter and was like a foster son to him.

I don't see how people get this fact confused. Edric and Shireen did not grow up together. Shireen grew up on Dragonstone and Edric Storm grew up on Storm's End. Those are two different castles. One is in the Stormlands and the other is an island castle.

When Melisandre uses her shadow demon baby the second time to kill the castelan for Storm's End, the next guy in charge surrenders and gives up Edric Storm and then Stannis sails to KL and the battle of blackwater. Meanwhile Edric is sent to Dragonstone where he quickly charms everyone and becomes friends with Shireen.

so Shireen is going to spend more time with Edric than Gendry but they didn't grow up together.

and Gendry was not conceived in Stannis's marriage bed, let's not forget either.

I'd call it a push as far as "reasons to burn the bastard"

Well in the books, Edric Storm gets shipped off to lys. Seeing as Gendry is replacing him I think he will be shipped off to Essos as well and posisbly later down the line he might meet up with Arya in Braavos, obviously massive speculation but I think thats where they might be going with it.

I don't see how people get this fact confused. Edric and Shireen did not grow up together. Shireen grew up on Dragonstone and Edric Storm grew up on Storm's End. Those are two different castles. One is in the Stormlands and the other is an island castle.

When Melisandre uses her shadow demon baby the second time to kill the castelan for Storm's End, the next guy in charge surrenders and gives up Edric Storm and then Stannis sails to KL and the battle of blackwater. Meanwhile Edric is sent to Dragonstone where he quickly charms everyone and becomes friends with Shireen.

so Shireen is going to spend more time with Edric than Gendry but they didn't grow up together.

and Gendry was not conceived in Stannis's marriage bed, let's not forget either.

I'd call it a push as far as "reasons to burn the bastard"

Simple case of misremembering book details is all, it's been a long time - people forget plots in the books often even after reading more than once, they were pretty hefty and it's been years now since I re-read. No need to be condescending about it. My point still stands that Stannis should have less connection to Gendry than he would have Edric considering the history with Edric's struggles and Gendry being a full grown man by now and completely unknown up to this point. Edric was just a little boy, and living with Shireen and they were happy friends.

And again, Melisandre's influence religiously and sexually over Stannis has been much different in the show than in the books. He's much more easily convinced of the Red God's demands. I don't think they're going through all this character development with Gendry just to toss him into a fire, but lets hope Davos comes to his rescue.

The TV writers created this storyline of Mel searching for a blood relative of Stannis that is strong and finding his nephew Gendry. When Mel informs Gendry of his parentage does this foreshadow Mel's finding Jon at the Wall and informing him of his parentage?

Simple case of misremembering book details is all, it's been a long time - people forget plots in the books often even after reading more than once, they were pretty hefty and it's been years now since I re-read.

I can agree with that, no problem happens all the time.

No need to be condescending about it. My point still stands that Stannis should have less connection to Gendry than he would have Edric considering the history with Edric's struggles and Gendry being a full grown man by now and completely unknown up to this point. Edric was just a little boy, and living with Shireen and they were happy friends.

Shireen will be friends with anyone that will talk to her. No reason her and Gendry couldn't be friends too.

I disagree I think that Gendry is pretty much the same sacrificialbility. He might be older but Stannis's wife was begging Stannis to burn Edric because he represented the curse that Robert gave their marriage bed. She tried to claim Edric was the reason she couldn't give Stannis a son. There's no way she can put that nonsense on Gendry.

I think also pointless to compare the two because Edric doesn't exsist in the show, well he exists but he's trapped in a jar as a still born baby. I hope they try to make it a difficult decision instead of "yeah burn him and give me my stone dragons"

And again, Melisandre's influence religiously and sexually over Stannis has been much different in the show than in the books. He's much more easily convinced of the Red God's demands. I don't think they're going through all this character development with Gendry just to toss him into a fire, but lets hope Davos comes to his rescue.

Well there shouldn't be any doubt about that.

Episode 10 synposis says: At Dragonstone mercy comes from unexpected places.

The TV writers created this storyline of Mel searching for a blood relative of Stannis that is strong and finding his nephew Gendry. When Mel informs Gendry of his parentage does this foreshadow Mel's finding Jon at the Wall and informing him of his parentage?

Melisandre was looking for a bastard of Robert Baratheon because he had a lot of them. Why exactly would she be looking for a child from Jon Snow's long dead or recently dead parents?

I think we're reaching just a little bit too far here, like anything that can happen may happen and it might point to foreshadowing?

Melisandre was looking for a bastard of Robert Baratheon because he had a lot of them. Why exactly would she be looking for a child from Jon Snow's long dead or recently dead parents?

I think we're reaching just a little bit too far here, like anything that can happen may happen and it might point to foreshadowing?

Well, this is an invented part of the story and infers that Mel can follow a trail to power rather quickly. So, if in this TV created segment, Mel can determine that Gendry is Robert's, will she also feel the power within the Blood of Kings when she gets to the Wall and connects with Snow.

I really enjoyed Gendry's parentage reveal. It was well acted, and it felt significant.

It's what I loved the most about it, more so in fact because the character stated he never had a family the episode before that. Except Gendry doesn't get to have a pretended family with the Brotherhood, he gets to have the real one that was lost to him when Robert Baratheon - and Ned - died. He gets to know his own history, perhaps met his own relatives and it seems all the more important to me because its something the character didn't have on the books.

Gendry is Stannis' nephew, not his brother, but I understood what you meant. The fact Stannis was willing to have his brother assassinated is important to remember however, since that would lead us to believe sacrificing a nephew is far less of a moral issue for him regardless if it were Edric or Gendry. I too like having Gendry paired up with either Stannis or Davos and think they can probably do away with his meeting Brienne for the purposes of the new story arc.

I agree- why does Gendry have to save Brienne- it could be fucking Anguy the archer for all I care.

As for Renly v. Bastard Nephew- yes Renly was a brother, but he was also a traitor. If Stannis is the true king, he must kill the traitor even if he grieves for the brother. Gendry is innocent, not deserving of punishment, a true sacrifice.

As for show Stannis being more pliable, we've seen him at his lowest point (after defeat) on the show, a position we were somewhat shielded from by the aSoS POV on him. Even then, Davos obviously did not think Stannis would resist burning Edric forever. Stannis has an arc; we've just mostly seen its nadir this season.

Well, this is an invented part of the story and infers that Mel can follow a trail to power rather quickly. So, if in this TV created segment, Mel can determine that Gendry is Robert's, will she also feel the power within the Blood of Kings when she gets to the Wall and connects with Snow.

I don't think they explained it like that, I'm sure they left it ambiguous, but from what we know Mel can only see visions in the flames so she's not just going to be able to "sense" who someone is by looking at them. Unless she's been looking for them.

That is a good point though if the show decides to expand her powers like that to where she can just GPS locate people. I guess I'll just have to point out a silly idea that the wall is interfering with Mel's magic and she can't even notice it. The ancient spells in the wall are spells of the Children of the Forest and they hate fires. It's true that the Wall is a giant powerful henge of the world but not for fire priests. It's made of ice for crying out loud.

BR and Bran might be able to control her visions, as she notices them watching her in the flames and all she mostly sees is Snow. Jon is protected by the Wall's magic since he said the vows of the Night's Watch and vowed to "wear no crowns" so I'm sure that they could go somewhere with that.

In the books Melisandre could sense that Jon's a warg, but she tells him he's a "bastard" or has "bastard blood" I can't remember, I think Stannis points out his bastard blood.

so if she does reveal Jon Snow is more than a bastard it would be a huge change.

It's what I loved the most about it, more so in fact because the character stated he never had a family the episode before that. Except Gendry doesn't get to have a pretended family with the Brotherhood, he gets to have the real one that was lost to him when Robert Baratheon - and Ned - died. He gets to know his own history, perhaps met his own relatives and it seems all the more important to me because its something the character didn't have on the books.

I agree it's awesome that he has a family but what his family is going to do to him is not cool. The reasons that Melisandre got him is not so that he can have a family reunion with Stannis, Selyese and Shireen. I'm pretty sure the family that he develops at the "crossbow inn" and with the BwBs in the books is better than the deal he's getting here.

I agree- why does Gendry have to save Brienne- it could be fucking Anguy the archer for all I care.

or Podrick Payne. The boy's a bit older than his book counterpart and clearly already demonstrated his ability to stab people through their faces.

Archived