[book spoilers] PhD research thread: Mental images of THAT upcoming scene

What were your initial reactions when you first read the scene? What are the most vivid mental images you have of it?

My first reaction was "No, no, this isn't happening.." Pure denial. I thought they had a chance of fighting their way out, hiding behind the table. The most vivid images for me, upon re-reads and initially, actually, was the food. I just remember being completely grossed out by the food they were served and thinking "crappy wedding..". I remember being disappointed that Robb didn't have Grey Wind with him, and feeling completely uneasy the entire time the Stark party was at the Twins. When Dacey touched the guy wearing mail, and her face just dropped, and Catelyn's like "what happened there.." and she starts to investigate, it was like the bottom fell out of my stomach. I was SO ANGRY when I was reading from Arya's perspective, thinking "HOW could they just set all his men's tents on fire like that! What a waste of human life!" and THEN I thought Arya had been killed by the Hound, after being *this* close to her family. I was so angry, and sad. And I had NO ONE to talk to about it! Until I found this forum. My mouth was probably agape for the whole Jinglebell thing, even though I was thinking "that'll never work, Old Man Frey doesn't care about one out of a hundred offspring". I was most shocked I think that Catelyn died in the end as well, it was just a slap on an already beat up face.

This may sound silly but this reminds me of people reminiscing about where they were on 9/11 and when they found out, talking about how they felt, and its almost if not as tragic. Judge away!

How do you think it would have been described from a different point of view than Cat’s or Arya’s?

I don't think we would have gotten the same emotional impact from any other perspectives.

How do you imagine the scene will play out on screen?

I hope they do it justice. I don't know how they could, but they just have to. And mine are long and sharp, my lord, as long and sharp as yours.

That is so powerful, reading those lyrics. Since we've only heard "And so he spoke, and he so he spoke, that lord of Castamere and now the rains weep o'er his hall with no one there to hear" in the show, I'm not sure they could have the same impact they had on book readers.

How much (if at all) are you looking forward to the scene? Can you say why?

I'm not looking forward to it, but its so momentous and completely changes your expectations of the end of the books, that they HAVE to do it justice. They just have to! I am looking forward to an emotional phone call from my mom, as well as all the Unsullied blowing up on facebook; they will finally know what I've felt.

I am looking forward to the episode and dreading it at the same time. Since Catelyn is one of my favorite characters, I hope HBO and D&D do her justice and make such an epic scene everyone will be traumatized and talking about it for weeks to come. I can't think of a more intense scene for any of the book-to-show translations.

I hope they get the music right - the way the book tells it the music was performed horribly - out of key, etc. Then the Rains of Castamere starts and Cat figures it out. I hope she slaps Walder Frey, but it will probably be one of the other Frey men (or possibly Bolton).

I've been waiting so long for this one scene - I can barely contain myself. I never give anything major away but I tell all my friends and family that this week's episode is the "big episode" of the series, which has made them all really curious about WTF is going to happen. Can't wait to see everyone's reactions.

What were your initial reactions when you first read the scene? What are the most vivid mental images you have of it?

Unfortunately for me, I knew about the Red Wedding before reading it in the book. To be honest I had never even heard of ASOIAF until season 2 of GoT was airing. My brother let me borrow the DVD set of season 1 and I became hooked, and started following the show closely after that. During the time between season 2 and 3 I read the books, but unfortunately I had been spoiled to a lot of the major events that happened in the books thanks to the wonderful internet.

For me though, even though I knew the RW was coming, the scene still had a huge impact. I think the same goes for a lot of people, but the two most vivid images of the scene in my head are when Cat first discovers the chainmail beneath Edwyn Frey's clothes, and Cat's final moments when she loses her mind. They're kind of like the bookends of all the craziness that happened at the RW so they stick out the most in my mind.

The single most vivid image I have though is Cat clawing at her face. For some reason that has always stuck out to me as like the defining moment of that whole scene. I felt it really represented her unbearable grief and her quick descent into insanity.

How do you think it would have been described from a different point of view than Cat’s or Arya’s?

I'd agree with mostly everyone else - the scene just wouldn't have had the same impact if told from any other perspective. Cat and Arya perfectly depict the emotion behind the scene - it wouldn't have been as emotional from anyone else's POV.

Like I said before I have a very vivid mental image of this scene - like I'm sure everyone else does - and while I'm always hopeful the show will do it justice, I know it's impossible for it to perfectly match the image in my mind. But I'm okay with that. I just really hope D&D manage to capture the feel of the scene the right way. They need to set the tone early on - not make anything too obvious, but make it seem as though something isn't quite right.

There are certain things about the scene that I know need to be changed for casting/budget reasons, like certain characters that I know will be excluded - yeah, there are a lot of Stark bannermen that get slaughtered as well, but a lot of them in the book aren't given much development anyway so it's not like I ever had any real personal attachment to any of them. I think just the fact that all these Northernmen are getting killed off will be enough for viewers to realize the seriousness of the scene. Also, I don't believe I've heard anything about Jinglebell being cast for the show, but he could easily be replaced by another nameless Frey.

I just really hope certain things about the scene are depicted in the episode, like:

- The bad musicians

- Walder Frey sitting on his "throne"

- Cat finding the chainmail under Edwyn's (or whatever Frey they decide to use) clothes

- Somebody (probably not Dacey since she's not in the show...maybe Talisa?) getting axed in the stomach - aside from Robb and Cat's deaths obviously, this one in particular stood out to me the most in this scene

- The "boom doom" drum when the rest of the music stops

- Cat holding a Frey hostage and sawing his neck when Robb gets stabbed

- Cat sobbing and clawing at her face

As long as these things are depicted in the scene, I'll be satisfied.

Not that I'm looking forward to Robb and Cat dying, because I enjoy both characters (although I have to say Robb has been coming across as being really stupid in the show), but this scene to me is one of the most memorable scenes in any book I've ever read so of course I'm looking forward to seeing how it will play out on screen.

I will also point out that I've seen a lot of people say that Catelyn has been so under-utilized this season, which I will agree with to an extent. She has definitely seemed like more of a background character this season which is a shame, because casual viewers might be starting to forget about her a bit, so the RW scene won't really have the same kind of impact.

BUT, at the same time, there's not a whole lot that happens in Cat's chapters that we haven't seen already on the show this season. A lot of the stuff in her chapters has to do with Robb - like when he tells her he's married Jeyne Westerling, and when he beheads Karstark, and when he negotiates with the Freys. Aside from her time as a prisoner at Riverrun and her reaction to her father's funeral (which we've already seen on the show), there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of content in ASoS for Cat's character until the RW.

I've been waiting so long for this one scene - I can barely contain myself. I never give anything major away but I tell all my friends and family that this week's episode is the "big episode" of the series, which has made them all really curious about WTF is going to happen. Can't wait to see everyone's reactions.

I've avoided doing that. The big scene likely won't come until the last 10 mins of the episode, so telling people to expect something big would likely put them on high alert, waiting for something to happen and looking a little too hard for would-be surprises. Just let it happen naturally.

As it is, I think too many TV viewers will probably be expecting some kind of climactic event being that it's the penultimate episode, and that they might approach the wedding scene with a good idea of what could happen.

I've avoided doing that. The big scene likely won't come until the last 10 mins of the episode, so telling people to expect something big would likely put them on high alert, waiting for something to happen and looking a little too hard for would-be surprises. Just let it happen naturally.

As it is, I think too many TV viewers will probably be expecting some kind of climactic event being that it's the penultimate episode, and that they might approach the wedding scene with a good idea of what could happen.

You do have a point, I should just let it all happen naturally - but then again, like you said, the second to last episode, at least in this show, always seems to have a major event that happens.

I guess when the episode gets down to the last few minutes my unsullied friends will probably expect something bad will happen at the wedding - maybe they'll expect Robb to get killed, but I think a lot of people are going to be blown away by Cat also getting killed. That was certainly a surprise to me when I first heard about it.

I bought and read all 5 books after seeing season one and two of the HBO series. I was not spoiled about the red wedding, but I've seen a couple of minutes of a comic con panel where George mentioned how hard it was to write a certain scene in the third book and how he postponed writing again and again so he wrote it last. So I knew there was something big coming, but somehow by the time I came to book three I thought it would be at the end of the book. Luckily that meant full impact when I read it :-)

Well let's start with the mental images: oddly enough for me it is the room emptying. After that the crossbow shooting musicians that played so loud and badly the whole evening.

Reaction: throwing the book at the wall (literally) and steaming off to my kitchen for a coffee. I had a couple free days and read late at night. Red Wedding was about 3 in the morning. Picked the book up again expecting to read how Arya and The Hound find Robb and Catelyn. End of the chapter I cursed Martin the magnificent Bastard.

I can't think of another pov that would make the scenes better, the men died too early to describe much so Catelyn is perfect. Sandor would be OK, his fighting could be more detailed but the Arya is perfect for emotions.

Pretty much as in the books.

I am looking forward to that scene since I knew it would be in season 3. It is the scene with the most emotional impact to me, they will get it right, and I will weep like a baby again :-).

The Red Wedding is one of the three most emotional scenes in fiction I experienced. The other two are in Doctor Who and the video game Freelancer (

episode Doomsday when Rose and The Doctor are parted; in Freelancer breaking into a structure and realising it's a Dyson Sphere

).

I read it through at a (I think) normal pace and kept reading further, having a thought that "something must be done about it" and "I wonder if there is anyone to do something about it". This could be the reason the first picture of the Red Wedding that comes to mind for me is Raynald Westerling escaping, badly wounded. It doesn't even come from the relevant chapters, someone mentions it afterwards. But I got wondering what it will mean to him, if he is still alive.

I also remember Robb trying to stay standing and trying to get a grip on what is happening. Catelyn ruining her face. And I imagine the Hound's eyes and tightening in his pose when he realises things and swings his axe at Arya to save her.

I think it would be more "narrow". Catelyn was alert, watching every detail and in the last moments she put all her life into Robb, expanding the view. She was at the centre and the heart of what happened. While someone else would likely be able to give only some facts from the nearest proximity and recount the conclusion.

I am ot sure if the suspence and emotion we got from the POVs can be shown sufficiently.

I am not looking for anything very specific. Except that they should keep it as much on Catelyn as possible.

Mostly it is only about the practical things: let the scene be done well as a sign that the TV series still have any life in it.

I am also not in the perfect understanding about "under 18", hyphotetically.

I didn't throw the book away, because my brain wasn't able to digest what just had happened. I was wondering what the hell had happened, and just couldn't understand. I had to read the last part to really confirm that Robb and Catelyn really did die. I think the fact that it happened in the middle of the book made it even harder to understand, since usually a moment THAT big is left for the end, but then again, ASoS did have a lot of big stuff happening towards the end.

I had quite the same reaction. I was just so stunned after reading Arya's chapter that I wasn't able to throw my book. Instead I made sure I read well and hadn't misunderstood something. The most difficult thing reading this chapters was how much I kept having hope until the last word and just realized how three main characters whom two were my favorites had been just killed that way. I was destroyed.

I won't say I'm not excited about watching this scene, but I'm sure it'll leave a bittersweet flavor in my mouth until monday.

As I was expecting a big argument from Walder Frey towards Robb for breaking his oath, I even thought they'd send someone to kill Jeyne. Unluckily for me, it caught me off guard.

I always thought Catelyn reminded me of my own mother and her death during the Red Wedding was what hit me the most.

I started reading the books after season two and nobody around me had read them already, after reading this I wanted to talk to someone about it but couldn't. And coming on this board wasn't an option with so many book spoilers.

I began posting like crazy on Twitter without giving away much and even thought GRRM had the Lannisters on higher grounds. Thankfully the Purple Wedding came just few chapters later.

It was perfect the way it was, Cat to see what was happening inside and Arya outside. I didn't believe for a second that Arya was killed or caught, though.

They put on great care on scenes like this one (Blackwater, Baelor). I'll try my best to separate the images I have from reading it in the book and focus on how this scene develops on its own in the show.

There are many scenes that I'm looking forward to see on the show. And that's because they're major events and turning points in the story.

The most intriguing thing to me right now is what is going to happen with this Talisa woman, that's what I'm looking forward to see in this scene, because everything else I know. Like most people, I think she will take the place of Dacey Mormont.

The thing that is most vivid for me isn't even in the books, but rather my reaction to the scene. It was late at night, I finished the scene, and literally threw the book across the room and loudly cursed Martin for over an hour, shouting such things as (pardon the language) "How the fuck could you fucking do that, you fucking fuck!" and "Oh, I see, you are trying to just end that storyline so you can simply end it, and this is your cop out" and a bunch of other things like that. Finally, after well over an hour of cursing Martin in that way, I picked the book back up, placed in on the table, and went to bed, immediately continuing the reading in the morning from where I left off. Once I got into Feast (NOTE: started the series after Feast but before Dance--it was a little bit before the TV series began running), I came to the realization that Martin needed something like the Red Wedding to happen so that he could officially end the first part of the "trilogy"--that being Game of Thrones--and begin the second part: A Dance with Dragons. Once I started reading Feast, and, in particular, the Jaime and Cersei chapters, it became obvious to me that Robb needed to be out of the picture and the realm practically unified for Jaime's redemption arc to truly being taking form and for Cersei's Nixonian-Self-Destruction Arc to begin as well (well, Robb's death and end of that war, coupled with Joffrey and Tywin being out of the picture, but still...). Also, once Dance was released, it became even more evident that Robb needed to die for the overall plot to move along (elsewise certain things such as Theon's redemption, which I deem as being vital to Bran connecting with Stannis and Stannis' eventual transformation into the new Night's King, would not be possible). Learning, after the fact, that when writing Storm, Martin wrote the entire book, and then went back and wrote the Red Wedding chapter, and that the chapter was, according to him, the hardest thing he's ever written, has also taken a lot of my frustration away.

As to the unsullied reaction, yeah, really can't wait to see those people blow a gasket. For me personally, despite the fact that it is still such a difficult chapter to get through, the Red Wedding has been the scene from this season (and really the entire series so far) that I have been most looking forward to--it depresses me to no end that this is the case, but I am very much looking forward to it and I hope that they do it justice (and as a side note, the writers this season have done a superb job of foreshadowing that something big is going to happen without giving away any of the details, just as it is in the book, so kudos to them).

As to Talisa, I have this feeling that, especially since we know she is with child, she will be replacing (Jeyne) Arya in becoming Ramsay's wife, and that he and Roose will become Regent of the North in place of Lord of the North, with the intent being that this is the case until such a time as Ramsay gets her with child and does away with the Stark babe.

I knew something was wrong, I just didn't know what. The mood just felt... creepy. The most vivid image was Roose Bolton walking in with his sword. Then Cat cutting the throat on Jinglebells.

I think if it were by someone like the Greatjon it would have been more pleasant. Cat had an eye out and knew something was off. I think that the Greatjon or Edmure would have described it in a much more pleasant way, without the grim feeling.

I imagine it will be very much like the scene in season one where Robert visits Winterfell and they have a feast -- everyone enjoying their time, laughing and joking. Only this time, instead of a mean, serious-looking Cersei, we will have Cat looking cautious and perhaps paranoid. I think Robb will play the humble king to Frey, just as the books, and Edmure will be drunk and laughing without a worry.

Season 2 made me cautious about coming back to the show. This scene was the reason I was going to watch no matter what. It was the most emotional moment of my reading, and the way GRRM wrote it just made you (as the reader) know something bad was going to happen, you just never knew what nor did you expect it would be something like what it was.

All in all this scene in the books made me feel completely wrecked, almost an out of body experience. I had to put the book down and just go do something... happy. It felt like getting dumped by your girlfriend almost, just like your heart was ripped out and you never saw it coming.

Unfortunately, I read this chapter during a moment of "depression", in the sense that I was not very happy with some aspects of my life. It was late and I was ready to stop reading, in order to sleep. But when I reached that part, I didn't immediately realize what was happen. I had to rewind two or three phrases to catch everything that was happening. I felt so angered with all the injustice of the scene and the fact that Arya could not meet her mother left me frustrated. But I continued to read and eventually reached the Purple Wedding, which calmed me down a little bit. However, from that moment on, I always felt depressed when reading an Arya's or Sansa's chapter.

It is hard to say. I think from the PoV of Robb the description would not have been so different, except more heartbreaking perhaps.

I expect them to leave a strong impression on the non-readers, almost at the same level as the death of Ned Stark, only more surprising. I cannot think of the details, since my memory regarding the original events that were described in the books are not so vivid.

In my opinion, this scene is ASOIF in a nutshell. It represents the complete destruction of hope in the triumph of honor, personified by the Starks. I am really looking forward to the reaction of the non-readers, which I think will be a measure of quality of the show.

Initial reaction: I was physically sick to my stomach. I experienced shock and bewilderment even though I saw it coming. I think I experienced this because it's terrible to read about how characters I cared for we're brutally murdered.

The most vivid image for me is Lord Bolton stabbing Rob through the back because that image more than any other represented what was happening in that chapter: the ultimate betrayal.

I think it would have been extremely interesting to have seen the POV of Lord Frey or Bolton. What exactly was going on through their minds leading up to the massacre? Did Bolton have doubts about what he was about to do? Probably not

I can't even imagine how this will play out on screen. The scene will without a doubt be the most challenging (at least acting-wise) of the entire series to adapt. From what we know the actors felt completely drained when the scene was over so my expectations are pretty high.

A lot of people, including myself, have said they can't wait for this scene. To the outsider this probably appears grotesque. Do so many people really want to see their beloved characters massacred? I think not. I'm looking forward to this scene because as stated previously it is so challenging. If done right the entire audience will feel heartbroken. If done right it will only amplify why people love this show--because there's nothing else like it on tv. What other show could make you feel such extreme emotions? This is why I'm so excited. I want to see if the actors/producers pulled it off. If they do it will be a remarkable accomplishment that earns the respect of the masses and ensures the longevity of the series.

In a show with so much action, violence, and intrigue, it's challenging to see how they'll handle these deaths. They must be different, just as Ned's was in season one. Some deaths simply mean more than the deaths of those who simply "lay with lions."

The Red Wedding is about the extinguishing of hope. The end to any illusion that wealth and power do not conquer all, in the world of Westeros. I see its portrayal as tragic, in an abstract sense, but with tears, in the physical: both on the part of Robb, realizing for his last moments of life, that he has failed, and on the part of his mother, who has also failed to protect her child.

I see Robb's stabbing being the last sound heard in the scene, with Djawadi's Stark theme played, perhaps on a solo violin. A requiem. Grey Wind's last howl. The sound of Catelyn's wails and sobs perhaps being the only other sound heard. I've dreaded seeing this scene, but I expect it to be well done, however it's portrayed.

Regarding the Book RW:

I appreciate the atmospherics that GRRM included, like the smell of the men sitting next to Cat, the drunkenness of different guests, who ate what....sword belts hung on the wall rather than around guests waists, poor choice of food that was served, dogs snarling.....

There were many shocking things but for me it was the end as Catlyn was clawing her own face and feeling the blood run down it as she died. I had no sympathy for Robb since he was so stupid to marry Jeyne....actually i did not have any sympathy for most of the men. It was Catlyn's experience that hit me the hardest and Daisy Mormont with an axe in her belly. Maybe because I am female. The men deserved what they got.

But not Greywind, the death and mutilation of the wolf bothered me more than Robb's. That really upset me but not as much as the death of Lady earlier when I first experienced GRRM's willingness to kill off important characters. Lady was the first to die.

Regarding the Book RW:

I appreciate the atmospherics that GRRM included, like the smell of the men sitting next to Cat, the drunkenness of different guests, who ate what....sword belts hung on the wall rather than around guests waists, poor choice of food that was served, dogs snarling.....

There were many shocking things but for me it was the end as Catlyn was clawing her own face and feeling the blood run down it as she died. I had no sympathy for Robb since he was so stupid to marry Jeyne....actually i did not have any sympathy for most of the men. It was Catlyn's experience that hit me the hardest and Daisy Mormont with an axe in her belly. Maybe because I am female. The men deserved what they got.

But not Greywind, the death and mutilation of the wolf bothered me more than Robb's. That really upset me but not as much as the death of Lady earlier when I first experienced GRRM's willingness to kill off important characters. Lady was the first to die.

The men deserved what they got ...

?

I believe Joffrey agrees with you, but I don't think anyone deserved what happened at the RW, no matter how you look at it. Yes, he betrayed the wet shit Frey's trust, which was stupid, still doesn't mean someone deserves to die for being a bit naive, stupid and in love. And the men following Robb were men who believed in his cause, who wanted an independent North with Robb as their king, don't know why they should deserve to die because of that.

The men deserved what they got ...

?

I believe Joffrey agrees with you, but I don't think anyone deserved what happened at the RW, no matter how you look at it. Yes, he betrayed the wet shit Frey's trust, which was stupid, still doesn't mean someone deserves to die for being a bit naive, stupid and in love. And the men following Robb were men who believed in his cause, who wanted an independent North with Robb as their king, don't know why they should deserve to die because of that.

Agreed. Robb deserved to lose the Freys support. But outright betrayal and murder after he tried to make amends? Absolutely not

My initial reaction was shock. I actually dropped the book and had to take a few minutes to process what had just happened, and then re-read it multiple times to make sure I hadn't misread. The most vivid mental images for me are the musicians with the crossbows, Cat holding Jinglebell at knifepoint, and Roose stabbing Robb saying "Jaime Lannister sends his regards".

I would like to see how this played out from Robb's point of view. We never got to see inside his head, but I wish we had. I would particularly like to know if he had any suspicions, especially when they made him leave Grey Wind outside. Reading his final thoughts might've been even more heartbreaking than "Ned loved my hair". Was he regretting his decision to marry Jeyne? Was he angry for trusting the Freys? Was he telling himself that the Freys will be forever cursed for violating guest right?

I would imagine that a lot of things would have to be going on to recreate the scene as I saw it in my mind. A large room with many tables, filled with various Northmen and Freys, all eating and drinking, the vast majority being quite drunk. Multiple musicians with loud music permeating the whole scene. Robb and Cat at the main table looking uncomfortable, but trying to seem like they're enjoying the party. Walder Frey presiding over the whole event looking gleeful and very pleased with himself. Edmure being completely enchanted with Roslin and fairly drunk. Roslin looking like the timid new bride, but smiling. They call for the bedding, and all the drunken celebrants eagerly leave the room stripping Edmure and Roslin and shouting crude jokes. As the sounds of the crowd dies down as they get further from the hall, a tense silence remains. A single drummer begins a slow beat as we see those who've remained behind. A singer slowly begins humming the "Rains of Castamere" to the beat of the drum. Robb and Cat both get a split second of realization that something is very wrong and the musicians pop up with the crossbows and the slaughter begins. We see a blade emerge through the front of Robb's chest before panning up to see Roose Bolton behind him saying "Jaime Lannister sends his regards". A look of complete devastation on Cat's face before she grabs a random Frey hostage (since we've not been introduced to Jinglebell), holding a knife to his throat while trying to bargain for her life with Walder Frey. Cat slicing the random Frey's throat when Walder refuses. Cat being dragged away from Walder by her hair. Then cut to Arya and the Hound outside being able to hear "Rains of Castamere" from the Twins, as well as Grey Wind's howling (which is promptly silenced, indicating the death of the wolf), and the Hound makes Arya flee with him to avoid being killed as well. In a later scene we would see Cat's dead body in the river.

I am looking forward to this scene because if it's done right, it will be incredible to see. The way it's described is so rich and full of detail that it's almost made to be portrayed on screen and I can't wait to see it. On the other hand, if the scene is done as well as I hope, it will be completely devastating emotionally and probably make me cry. But the hallmark of good story-telling is being able to evoke strong emotions in the viewer which this scene should be completely able to do.

I was 15...and a speed reader, unfortunately. I wish I slowed down so I could have been more observant. However, I was in shock. I was already shaken up because I previously thought Bran and Rickon were seriously dead, and I started going through to find more Cat chapters and found....zero. I just couldn't believe it. The Robbwind thing really terrified me.

Archived