Will the Freys give up their hostages?

The Sleeper

Prior to his departing for Raventree, Jaime commanded the Freys to send the hostages they took during the RW to KL. Do you think they will actually go through with it? Personally, I can totally see Walder Frey blowing them off.

Only if they have already done so. Now that Jaime is missing there is nobody to compel them to since Cersei could care less about the issue. I suspect they haven't gone through with it yet though.

The Greatjon will escape and go full-blown hulk status on the Freys. His sigil (a giant in shattered chains) has got to be foreshadowing for an epic escape.

Anyway, the only Highborn captives were The Greatjon, Edmure & Patrek Mallister. Edmure is being taken to Casterly Rock & Patrek was taken back to Seagard to force Lord Jason to bend the knee, so the only ransom-able captive left is The Greatjon.

They are pretty much doomed whatever they do, whether they keep them or not there are probably countless of northeners and riverlanders that would want to exact revenge on house Frey. So if I was Walder Frey I would probably just keep them and tease them for whatever little time remains to "me". Dont know how the next Lord of the Crossing would act though.

The prisoners are going to be moved at some point, and thats when we are going to find out that what Mormont and Glover have been up to all this time is planning to spring the prisoners whilst on the road. The north cannot openly fight its enemies whilst so many of its great lords are hostages.

Only if they have already done so. Now that Jaime is missing there is nobody to compel them to since Cersei could care less about the issue. I suspect they haven't gone through with it yet though.

That depends on when they learn of Jaime's disappearance. The order to release the hostages to King Tommen will reach them before news of Jaime's disappearance does. Unless they are involved in that disappearance.

Another question is who knows of Jaime's order to release the hostages - Cersei wouldn't care, wouldn't understand. But Jaime might have sent word to Ser Kevan and Mace Tyrell. Mace Tyrell understands the importance of hostages, and he might insist on Walder Frey handing over the hostages.

That depends on when they learn of Jaime's disappearance. The order to release the hostages to King Tommen will reach them before news of Jaime's disappearance does. Unless they are involved in that disappearance.

Another question is who knows of Jaime's order to release the hostages - Cersei wouldn't care, wouldn't understand. But Jaime might have sent word to Ser Kevan and Mace Tyrell. Mace Tyrell understands the importance of hostages, and he might insist on Walder Frey handing over the hostages.

It's very up in the air although the fact that it isn't even noted in the epilogue of A Dance with Dragons does not bode well for the chance that the order has already been carried out.

Prior to his departing for Raventree, Jaime commanded the Freys to send the hostages they took during the RW to KL. Do you think they will actually go through with it? Personally, I can totally see Walder Frey blowing them off.

I think Lord Walder is pissed off about the Lancel marriage and some other things, with Cersei being imprisoned and the Freys fighting in the North, fearing rebellion from the their neighbors I can not see him releasing these guys at this point even to the Throne. I think that Piper mentioned one of his sons was being held and that some of the knights who accompanied him might be captive as well. I think there are more hostages than just the Greatjon. He might also hold onto Rosilin and the child she is expecting from Lord Edmure. Jaimie wanted her sent to Casterly Rock with her infant after she gave birth, I do not think that Walder will go for that either.

The Late Lord Frey is not going to release the prisoners unless: a) there's something in it for him; or B) someone forces him to. Frey doesn't really give a crap about liege lords, kings, or otherwise.

I think Lord Walder is pissed off about the Lancel marriage and some other things, with Cersei being imprisoned and the Freys fighting in the North, fearing rebellion from the their neighbors I can not see him releasing these guys at this point even to the Throne. I think that Piper mentioned one of his sons was being held and that some of the knights who accompanied him might be captive as well. I think there are more hostages than just the Greatjon. He might also hold onto Rosilin and the child she is expecting from Lord Edmure. Jaimie wanted her sent to Casterly Rock with her infant after she gave birth, I do not think that Walder will go for that either.

Didn't Lancel's younger brother take over when Lancel backed out? I doubt that lord Frey will hold it against the Lannisters much as long as Kevan Lannister's heir marries Gatehouse Ami. And Lancel was not the only Lannister contracted to marry a Frey. Ser Daven Lannister, the Warden of the West, is also contracted to marry one. I don't think Lord Frey will risk losing that - not for a couple of hostages or Lancel Lannister. He might keep on to Roslyn - who is not a hostage but his favorite daughter. Poor girl.

The Late Lord Frey is not going to release the prisoners unless: a) there's something in it for him; or B) someone forces him to. Frey doesn't really give a crap about liege lords, kings, or otherwise.

No, but he gives a lot about good matches for his offspring. The hostages don't give him much advantage now, if any. If he kills them rather than giving them to the King, it will damage House Frey far worse than the Red Wedding did.

Well,they have 1 protector and two kingdoms of enemies,so I'd say that they need to obey that one protector.

Will that protector actually do anything if the kingdoms fall on them. I don't see it. The Tyrell's have enemies on opposite sides and their daughter under going trial, so these hostages are probably his best defense. On the flip side, Walder will be thinking that he did their dirty work and they miss no chance to piss on him. Will the same protector have the energy to assemble the military force to compel him? I don't think so.

The hostages don't give him much advantage now, if any. If he kills them rather than giving them to the King, it will damage House Frey far worse than the Red Wedding did.

Who said anything about killing them?

Well,they have 1 protector and two kingdoms of enemies,so I'd say that they need to obey that one protector.

Well ... they could ally with Aegon.

But I don't think Aegon wants the Freys. Real or fake, I hope Aegon has better taste.

He would never marry a Frey, would he???

Well ... they could ally with Aegon.

But I don't think Aegon wants the Freys. Real or fake, I hope Aegon has better taste.

He would never marry a Frey, would he???

The Riverlands will try to consider any allegiance at this point very carefully. Anyone that promises to rid them of the Frey's will be taking a great step at winning their support as opposed to enraging them that someone would wish to join with the most hated family in Westeros.

They better not because they'll need hostages for bargaining or a truce if Stannis lays siege to them, although since Stannis believes deeply in justice and him knowing what the Freys have done he'll probably just storm the castle and kill them all.

Who said anything about killing them?

What is he supposed to do with them?

If he simply releases his hostages, he loses face.

If he keeps them against royal orders, it will strain his relationship with the Iron Throne. The Iron Throne is weak, but it might still be strong enough to squash his opposition.

Archived