(Book spoilers) "We all know what happens to things that don't bend?"

I can't remember Dany ever saying this line in the books during the Yunkish scene. For one because the Yunkish are never described as a "proud people" by anybody; ever. But obviously the wording is strikingly similar to what the blacksmith on the wall says about Stannis. That he is iron and will break before he bends. Dany uses essentially the same metaphor, implying that if the Yunkish won't bend she will break them.

Do you think this is just coincidence or D&D deliberately doing this? From the amount of comments on the board its quite a well known metaphor about Stannis and I think one that crops up more than once.

I can't remember Dany ever saying this line in the books during the Yunkish scene. For one because the Yunkish are never described as a "proud people" by anybody; ever. But obviously the wording is strikingly similar to what the blacksmith on the wall says about Stannis. That he is iron and will break before he bends. Dany uses essentially the same metaphor, implying that if the Yunkish won't bend she will break them.

Do you think this is just coincidence or D&D deliberately doing this? From the amount of comments on the board its quite a well known metaphor about Stannis and I think one that crops up more than once.

I think it's deliberate and aims at Stannis :)

I really didn't put a lot of significance on that particular metaphor she used, though they did seem to emphasize it in that dramatic scene so it's entirely possible it's a foreshadowing or hint. Most viewers probably just think it means Dany's ready to do whatever it takes to get what she wants including using her dragons and her unsullied army to break whatever she wants to display her power - coming fully into her "Queen" rights and attitude.

Your theory and comparison to the same metaphor used about Stannis is definitely interesting!

Yes, I think of Stannis too, considering how D+D deslike Stannis I'm sure it is about him, but I'm not sure if it's a foreshadowing a confrontation betwenn those 2, jut that Stannis will eventually break :( (but that's nothing new to book readers, Stannis as badass as he is, is kinda doomed since ACOK he will break before he bends)

I thought of it but I don't believe that Stannis is unbending. The Stannis Donal Noye had known might have been but he changed a lot since aCoK, in aSoS he changed his strategy completely and in aDwD he even accepted the idea that every lord didn't had to show him their loyalty without him doing anything and seeked out the Mountain Clans. He bends, slightly, on some aspects.. And he shall never let dragonspawn take westeros whislt he lives.

Stannis had one of the biggest character developments to me, in the books. He does bend. I think he was very stubborn and demandng of others mostly because of how rigid he was, he was expecting other people to do the same (maybe not really expecting, but stubbornly wanting, cause otherwise his whole lifestyle would seem to be for nothing, if he is the only one following the codex). He slowly crept out of that mind-state and now is more accepting, although grudgingly (would that all lords of westeros had but a single neck).

They liked the line (because it's an awesome line) so they gave it to Dany, not making it about Stannis. Many viewers love Dany, and many do not care about Stannis.

Stannis learned to bend when he followed Davos' advice to go North: that's a good thing. Dany bent too much during book 5: is not a good thing.

I also thought about Stannis, but the context of the phrase was very different: they use the word to speak of Stannis's stubbornness, his inability to look beyond the box, which we know he has changed as he's now looking beyond the Wall. For Dany "bend" still means to obey her and do her will because she's the Queen or they will be destroyed. Stannis lost too much by thinking like that.

I thought of Daenerys herself later on. Stopping slavery is noble and everything but she went about it in a childish, impulsive, stubborn, arrogant way and it ended with an attempt on her life and her being captive by a rival khalasar.

Things that don't bend, indeed.

She has a dragon. Granted, a tempermental dragon. But he's still sharing food with her.

They have horses, swords and arrows.

I'd be mighty surprised if the ending to that scene isn't:

"And then the stench of urine became very strong and the Khalasar ran screaming like little girls."

Archived