Will Puddles Live Up To His Nickname? [book spoilers]

LordStoneheart

Shards has been stealing Craster's sons for years and Craster was cool with it, Sam has no respect for other cultures, typical white Anglo male.

This is a vile slander! It was no stealing, it was a progressive, multicultural and even interspecies act of mercy and adoption of boys who would have otherwise grown up in the poor conditions of Craster's Keep, facing starvation and other risks.

The Ice Anti-Defamation League shall protest such vile accusations with all its power.

This is a vile slander! It was no stealing, it was a progressive, multicultural and even interspecies act of mercy and adoption of boys who would have otherwise grown up in the poor conditions of Craster's Keep, facing starvation and other risks.

The Ice Anti-Defamation League shall protest such vile accusations with all its power.

Ugashep is taking no questions but issues the following prepared statement: "Members of the Board it is with the deepest humility that I come before you today beseeching your forgiveness for my careless choice of words earlier. When I referred to the practice of our aesthetically pleasing challenged brethren beyond the wall, of liberating male infants born into the pestilence of Craster's Keep as "stealing" I only meant to express the great haste with which the noble white walkers of the haunted forest secret the babes away from the unfortunate circumstances of their birth. Their lives as reanimated thralls of equal statute, regardless of race, gender, ethnicity, religious denomination, or sexual orientation are certainly preferable to any life these children may have had amongst the socially and economically stratified kingdoms of men, be it north or south of the wall. In penance for my carelessness I swear to wear a blue ribbon on my shirt on the night of the next Academy Award show to symbolize my solidarity with our icy friends. Humbly I remain, Ugashep, lowly Ice and Fire Forum Commenter."

This thread is hilarious.

I loved the shot of Shards calmly stalking through the trees, blue eyes gleaming in the dark...and the crows suddenly getting quiet just before he showed up. Brilliant.

I loved how confident his walk was, like a boss.

Surprised that nobody liked the white walker. The hair on the back of my neck stood up when he was stalking through the woods, and the look of of him just have me goosebumps. I think these things are terrifying looking.

Never was able to wrap my mind around the description of them in the books. They're inhumanely beautiful? Uhhhh . . . Okay. I much prefer the draugr looking things.

I LOVE the way they look. I want somebody to photoshop my skin, hair, and eyes like it. any volunteers?

Was Sams sword Valyrian Steel cause I don't think a good Val Blade would shatter like that.

No...why would it be Valyrian steel? It's not every soldier has a valyrian steel blade. It was probably some standard blade from the night's watch.

I agree with the ones that say that the poor Shard wasn't exactly attacking Sam, as the book one didn't consider him a menace in front of the other two Watchmen, when he found him, and Gren, and the third.

Despite the irony here, I LOVED the White Walker's behaviour with Sam, demonstrating superiority and not killing him outright.

I don't believe he is just stupid, he just didn't mean to kill Sam, just to get the poor child.

Sam is a sworn brother of the Watch, who, as Jon did and as no other classmates of theirs did, swore to the trees, north of the Wall. And the one fighting with him was a White Walker, one of the armed (he had a spear on last season's end, riding his dead beast) like the ones that killed Ser Waymar Royce. Not a zombie like the dead watchemen attacking Mormont in his room. And his use of force against Sam had quite evident non-lethal results, even if his intentions could be debated.

In any case, there are people there in the Heresy threads who looked this scene and find in it fuel. The child of Craster's is somehow related to the Pact that ended the Long Night in the same way that the Watch ("if it stays true") is. And White Walkers are agents of the Gods, not of any "Great Other" nobody in the North has spoken of, just the woman from Asshai.

There is complexity in this part of the story, not just monodimensional "end game" monsters motivating all of the "good" guys of this story to rally to fight before the happy end of the tale.

And to understand this part, one should start asking him/herself questions.

This scene leaves one: why didn't Shard kill Sam fast, as he was clearly able to do with his "superpowers"?

Breaking Sam's neck wouldn't have taken more time than tossing him away (expecially if Shard hadn't left his spear somewhere before coming here) and it would have made grow his undead army.

Why didn't he?

Stupidity and arrogance? Simply a plot armor case? Or.....?

The thing I don't get is why they took out the smoke from the torch when it gets put out and Sam crying from the books, as that makes it pretty clear Puddles was reborn in that moment as he is reborn in salt and smoke and will rise again to lead his fellow Others against the NW as he's AAR/TPTWP.

I think it was arrogance, like ''I'll deal with you later'' LOL

In a "I'll kill you more comfortably later, when I will be cuddling the child I'm going to take in one hand" way?

The other WW that took a baby was cuddling the child too.

The thing I don't get is why they took out the smoke from the torch when it gets put out and Sam crying from the books, as that makes it pretty clear Puddles was reborn in that moment as he is reborn in salt and smoke and will rise again to lead his fellow Others against the NW as he's AAR/TPTWP.

LOL. Oh, of course.

Stupidity and arrogance? Simply a plot armor case? Or.....?

I suppose for the same reason Sam wasn't killed at the end of last season.

He's an important character and is needed for the story but also has to encounter situations that cause tension. As a way to save him, the writers have the threat (s) act in an irrational way.

I suppose for the same reason Sam wasn't killed at the end of last season.

He's an important character and is needed for the story but also has to encounter situations that cause tension. As a way to save him, the writers have the threat (s) act in an irrational way.

Or maybe because Sam's cowardice is legendary, even among the others.

Archived