There are No Lemon Trees in Braavos (questioning Dany's childhood)

yolkboy

Quotin Lucy Lawless, a wizard did it.

Seriously, you are arguing about how climate would work on a completely fictional world? Last time i checked GRRM didnt tried to portray it realistically so we can at least imply the climate of an area based on the empirical experiences of the characters in the area.

You can also bring fantasy theories about it, maybe there is not much precipitation in Braavos which prevents the formation of snow, which has a positive feedback in getting colder. Braavos is also at the mouth of a river, maybe the water regulates the temperature. a more pronounced gulf stream current etc etc.

We see that Braavosi wear light clothes even at the eve of winter and its culture is heavily influenced by italian city states.

And most likely, GRRM really put any attention on the geography and its possible consquences, he probably thought "Braavos = Northern Italia".

Every discussion here is about a completely fictional world, sure we're allowed to discuss every aspect of it. And yes there could be many other (fictional) causes that make Braavos warmer than it should be. It could be totally true, but I think it's a very large stretch to compare it to anything Dornish (not that you did, just generally in this topic). For all we know about climates, the OP must be pretty right. And I gues there surely is some way a very rich man in Braavos can keep a lemon tree, I just think it's unlikely and reasonable to ask questions about it. Also, GRRM said his inspiration for a place is always a combination of several real places, So Braavos doesn't equal Northern Italy, it probably equals Northern Italy+several other (colder) places.

Nonsense. It can easily snow when it's not even below zero. I don't know what freak climate zone you live in, but if you've payed attention I'm pretty certain you should have experienced that as well.

All the arid and semi-arid climates are characterized by cold winter nights.

And the biggest climate blunder is the neck, the neck is a tropical swamp, yet the north has nordic winters, and the south seems to be like france.

The Neck was supposedly created by the magic of the CoTF using the hammer of the waters. And were does it say that the Neck is a tropical swamp?

Every discussion here is about a completely fictional world, sure we're allowed to discuss every aspect of it. And yes there could be many other (fictional) causes that make Braavos warmer than it should be. It could be totally true, but I think it's a very large stretch to compare it to anything Dornish (not that you did, just generally in this topic). For all we know about climates, the OP must be pretty right. And I gues there surely is some way a very rich man in Braavos can keep a lemon tree, I just think it's unlikely and reasonable to ask questions about it. Also, GRRM said his inspiration for a place is always a combination of several real places, So Braavos doesn't equal Northern Italy, it probably equals Northern Italy+several other (colder) places.

I think OP also understimates the lemon tree, its not an strictly tropical tree like a palm or a papaya, it can easily survive extreme temperaturess, they have a hard wood and they can easily regenerate dead leaves, the heck you can chop it down completely and it will grow from the roots.

Interesting catch, OP. I think it could easily just be a mistake by GRRM, but the fact that the lemon tree is mentioned so often and the fact that there are no trees in Braavos is pointed out so often probably means something. He made the intentional effort to repeat both those things a few times, so maybe it is as you said.

I'm on the fence about whether or not it has specific meaning. But if it does, good job catching it!

Since starting to read this thread, I can't stop singing the Lemon Tree in my head...

I'm sitting here in the boring room

It's just another rainy Sunday afternoon

I'm wasting my time

I got nothing to do

I'm hanging around

I'm waiting for you

But nothing ever happens and I wonder

I wonder how

I wonder why

Yesterday you told me 'bout the blue, blue sky

And all that I can see is just another lemon tree

I'm turning my head up and down

I'm turning, turning, turning, turning, turning around

And all that I can see is just a yellow lemon tree

The song's meaning btw:

It's all about depression.

It's about being alone, and bored, waiting for something to happen, or a person to come along to take you out of it.

But the person never comes and something never happens.

This song (at least to me) describes Dany's life and/or her emotianal state for most of it rather well...What we see of Dany in late AGOT is her growing tired of waiting and taking charge herself...and in ADWD we see her relapsing and going back to her old ways...

ETA: It sucks, but it was actually Viserys that told her of the blue blue sky and thus tried to show her that there is a better tomorrow...He was actually a really good elder brother in his own unbalanced egocentric way.

A cocodrile in everything but in name.

Cold blooded animals cant survive in the weather of westeros, except Dorne. You also forget about the tropical diseases

Just because crocodiles are cold blooded in reality does not mean that lizard lions are in this fantasy world simply because they resemble crocodiles. And where is it ever mentioned in the texts that there are tropical diseases in the Neck?

And where is it ever mentioned in the texts that there are tropical diseases in the Neck?

Nowhere really, I assume that he refers to Cranogmen poisoning the Ironborn as tropical disease ??? :dunno: The symptoms could be similar,depending on the poison and the disease...

ETA: I just realized that the term swamp for the Neck is incorrect. They actually call it bogs and those are found in Canada (which , to my knowledge, is not tropical at all).

Just because crocodiles are cold blooded in reality does not mean that lizard lions are in this fantasy world simply because they resemble crocodiles. And where is it ever mentioned in the texts that there are tropical diseases in the Neck?

Maybe they are wizards who control the others and live in candy mountains, i mean its never established that they dont isnt?

Anyway there are tons of arguments of why a warm blooded cocodrile that lives and hunts like a cocodrile would be ecologically so primitive it would be impossible to survive in a mammal dominated enviroment.

WTF is a cocodrile? Are you just trolling?

1) Lizard lions are not crocodiles. They might as well be some kind of crocodile resembling mammals.

2) There is no mention of tropical diseases in the books.

You must be trolling.

1.What else could a lizard lion be? Now think about that before you answer.

2. I believe the disease infested jungles of Sothoryos qualify. Whatever Yezzan zo Qaggaz has is some kind of tropical disease.

You must be trolling.

1.What else could a lizard lion be? Now think about that before you answer.

2. I believe the disease infested jungles of Sothoryos qualify. Whatever Yezzan zo Qaggaz has is some kind of tropical disease.

I mean they float like logs with eyes and teeth in slow moving waters, they are clearly winger velocirraptors with a mane, because fuck Occam

Archived