The Black or Red Dragon?

King of Winters

Targaryen because Baelor Breakspear > Daemon Blackfyre.

:agree:

Besides, Varys is a Blackfyre and is willing to plunge the realm through decades of war to place his nephew on the throne. The Blackfyres had no claim to the IT in the first place.

:agree:

Besides, Varys is a Blackfyre and is willing to plunge the realm through decades of war to place his nephew on the throne. The Blackfyres had no claim to the IT in the first place.

The Blackfyre's had a pretty good claim.

1. They had the sword of kings, which was the main claim.

2. Daemon was the best man.

3. Aegon IV wanted Daemon as king.

4. Not really used much, but possiblity Daeron was illegitimate.

Also Daemon>Baelor Breakspear

Wut? How please is Daemon the easily-manipulated airhead the better man than wise Dareon or the epitome of just rule that Baelor Breakspear is in The Hedge Knight? Do you really believe delusional Ser Osgrey on this matter, when we can clearly see that his grasp on reality throughout The Sworn Sword is nonexistent?

Actually:

1. Birthright is the main claim, not the person who has the sword. (It's not the sword in the stone, westeros version)

2. Subjective

3. No, he only legitimized Daemon, never named him successor.

4. Yes it is rumored, but no concrete proof. Until then...

1. Blackfyre is, and was never, the main claim to the Iron Throne. It was just a symbol, passed on from king to king, as tradition, nothing more. Daemon and his supporters were the ones who believed that getting a sword makes you king, which is pretty stupid since there are Targaryen succesion laws.

2. How was Daemon the better man? He was mad at Daeron because he gave away Daenerys to the Martell lord and was wiling to let thousands die just so he could become king. Daeron was way better, he was more intelligent, he was a cultured, scholarly man.

3. Who cares if Aegon IV wanted him to be king? Firstly, Aegon was an idiot, who basically caused the war, and secondly, there were already succession laws in place.

4. There's no proof of this.

Actually:

1. Birthright is the main claim, not the person who has the sword. (It's not the sword in the stone, westeros version)

2. Subjective

3. No, he only legitimized Daemon, never named him successor.

4. Yes it is rumored, but no concrete proof. Until then...

1. Well the sword always went with "birthright". It is not Excalibur, but it was still the sword of Aegon and the kings.

2. Yes, but this was one of his claims. I personally think he was the better man too.

3. He never named any successor, but many saw handing him the sword and legitimising Daemon as an intent to have him as his heir.

4. Yes there was no proof, but without DNA testing there is never going to be any concrete proof.

1. Blackfyre is, and was never, the main claim to the Iron Throne. It was just a symbol, passed on from king to king, as tradition, nothing more. Daemon and his supporters were the ones who believed that getting a sword makes you king, which is pretty stupid since there are Targaryen succesion laws.

2. How was Daemon the better man? He was mad at Daeron because he gave away Daenerys to the Martell lord and was wiling to let thousands die just so he could become king. Daeron was way better, he was more intelligent, he was a cultured, scholarly man.

3. Who cares if Aegon IV wanted him to be king? Firstly, Aegon was an idiot, who basically caused the war, and secondly, there were already succession laws in place.

4. There's no proof of this.

1. How can you differentiate between a symbol and the claim if they always went hand in hand? Blackfyre was viewed as the kings sword. Even men like Baelor the Blessed must have had it. The Targaryen succession laws did not count for much when Egg came to the throne.

2. Daeron broke the promise made to Fireball about becoming one of the kingsguard. Daeron tried to arrest Daemon before he had down anything. Daeron brought too much foreign influence into court. Daemon was honourable in everything he did. He lost his life trying to help a foe. Even Bloodraven knew he would never leave the body of his son. People make pilgrimages to the spot where he fell.

3. Aegon was a terrible king, but who he wanted to be his successor counts for something.

4. I agree, but it was the claim that was made.

I have said myself that I would have fought with the Targaryen's but switched to being a Blackfyre, when they picked the best man for the job over the rightful heir themselves. They chose Aegon over the rightful heir, Aerion's son. After that I would fight for the Blackfyres.

While I would choose the Targs, I find the Blackfyre's intriguing. Daemon's sense of entitlement is completely understandable, and the same feeling held by his descendants after that is also understandable. While I know that the Blackfyre's caused the Targs a huge amount of trouble over the years, I find the character's commendable and the family in general very interesting.

1. A sword is a sword, nothing more. It's just a symbol, not the "main claim." Jon is not the heir to Bear Island is he?

2. Daemon was jealous and stuck up. Was he gallant? It seems so but gallantry will only take you so far. Why do you think Daeron II was called Daeron the Good?

3. Aegon IV is remembered as quite probably the worst Targaryen King. He gave someone a dragon's egg for sleeping with their daughter. If anything, this is a point against Daemon.

4. No proof whatsoever. Bloodraven supported Daeron remember?

:lmao:

Archived