Small questions v.10007

Stubby

The whole deal with surnames is very shadowy still. We know bastard names can vary from the usual Snow, Hill, etc., and that bastards can later create their own houses (Blackfyre, Longwaters, etc.), but as far as we know the only lowborn to have a surname is Janos Slynt. Maybe Robert granted him a surname, or allowed him to keep one? A king certainly seems to hold the power to do so, but I doubt just any peasant can choose to have a last name, otherwise they'd all do it.

Why would they care about having one? There are few characters with background stories that lack a surname of sorts.

On the wiki it says house Glover and tallhart are masterly rather than lordly what does that mean?

scroll back a few pages. Knighthood was a sacred order for the 7. Since most of the Northern houses kept the old gods their "knightly" houses (one step below lord) were "masterly." But Helman Tallhart was a knight. Go figure...

I'm just being a pain here, but a lord siding with the Blackfyres in one of the rebellions would not be a Blackfyre pretender. Only the guy they were trying to put on the throne would be. So it's totally possible that he still was killed in a Blackfyre rebellion, just not by a Blackfyre. Probably not though!

There were other rebellions besides the Blackfyre ones.

How can queen's men such as Ser Godry Farring or Ser Richard Horpe call themselves 'knights' or 'sers' if they are followers of R'hllor and the R'hllorist faith denounces the Seven as 'false gods'?

Since they were knighted before I think they just keep using the title. Does make me wonder how Stan plans to handle it when it comes to knighting new people. Unless the red faith has some rituals.

What are the 16(?) wonders of the world of ice and fire?

16 is the correct number. Lomas Longstrider said: "The gods made seven wonders and mortal man made nine". The wonders of the world of ice and fire are recorded in his books: Wonders and Wonders Made by Man.

We don't know what all of them are yet, but so far: The Wall, Valyrian Roads, the Triple Walls of Qarth, and the Titan of Braavos.

Some think that the ruined Great Pyramind of Ghis, the Hightower of Oldtown, and Harrenhal are among the wonders.

16 is the correct number. Lomas Longstrider said: "The gods made seven wonders and mortal man made nine". The wonders of the world of ice and fire are recorded in his books: Wonders and Wonders Made by Man.

We don't know what all of them are yet, but so far: The Wall, Valyrian Roads, the Triple Walls of Qarth, and the Titan of Braavos.

Some think that the ruined Great Pyramind of Ghis, the Hightower of Oldtown, and Harrenhal are among the wonders.

Would the fourteen fires be on that list?

I think so. They would be one of the seven natural wonders IMO. GRRM has only confirmed four of the "wonders made by man", though.

I'd also hazard a guess that the Rhoyne is also amongst the 7 natural wonders being the biggest river in the world.

Since they were knighted before I think they just keep using the title. Does make me wonder how Stan plans to handle it when it comes to knighting new people. Unless the red faith has some rituals.

Just ask Beric...

Was Orell Jon's first kill?

Jon's first kill was the Wight! Othor. Then it was Orell yes.

Interestingly enough, his first kill in the TV Show (after the Wight that is) was Qhorin Halfhand.

Butterbumps, maybe? He's the Tyrell fool, and he farts a lot.

Ok, maybe it wasn't Olenna. I might be conflating two gassy characters. LOL

I'm thinking of someone that was being discussed for a small council position perhaps, but it's only a vague recollection. I can look it up later when I have my books. Thanks!

Jon's first kill was the Wight! Othor. Then it was Orell yes.

Interestingly enough, his first kill in the TV Show (after the Wight that is) was Qhorin Halfhand.

Totally forgot about Othor. But can you really kill something that's already dead? The Ironborn don't seem to think so.

I jest, thank you.

Archived