Small questions v.10007

Stubby

Did Barriston Selmy offer any details about why he chose to bend the knee to Robert following the Battle of the Trident? While Prince Rhaegar was dead, King Aerys was still alive at that point. On it's face, Selmy's decision is surprising given that by all accounts he's a man of high honor.

Did Barriston Selmy offer any details about why he chose to bend the knee to Robert following the Battle of the Trident? While Prince Rhaegar was dead, King Aerys was still alive at that point. On it's face, Selmy's decision is surprising given that by all accounts he's a man of high honor.

Are you sure he bent the knee before the sack of KL?

Barristan was gravely wounded (eta: in the battle of the trident) and could not fight on and Robert had his maester tend to him, that is the reason he gives Daeneris.

It is possible that by the time he recovered enough it was all over. Robert was also wounded on the Trident because he left the chase to Ned. That's why Ned is the one to find the Lannister flag flying over KL and Jamie on the throne.

It is possible that by the time he recovered enough it was all over. Robert was also wounded on the Trident because he left the chase to Ned. That's why Ned is the one to find the Lannister flag flying over KL and Jamie on the throne.

highly possible, considering that Tywin states that he had to hurry to KL because Ned was rushing south with the vanguard after the battle of the Trident.

Okay. Thanks. That fits a bit better with what we know of the man. I would find it hard to believe that he would bend the knee with the King alive.

Actually, that having been said, I do find it a bit odd that upon finding out that Rhaella and Viserys had escaped to Dragonstone that he would not abandon Robert. He did seem racked by guilt when he revealed himself to Danerys though, so I guess there's that.

Probably a stupid question but I think this is the right thread for it.

Why wer Ned and Bob wards of John Arryn? Wards are usually hostages or part of a deal. Bob was the Barrartheon heir and Ned the second son. So they were kinda important. Why would John Arryn have them?

that has been bugging me for quite a long time....thanks

Okay. Thanks. That fits a bit better with what we know of the man. I would find it hard to believe that he would bend the knee with the King alive.

Actually, that having been said, I do find it a bit odd that upon finding out that Rhaella and Viserys had escaped to Dragonstone that he would not abandon Robert. He did seem racked by guilt when he revealed himself to Danerys though, so I guess there's that.

Sounds about right to me.

Why wer Ned and Bob wards of John Arryn? Wards are usually hostages or part of a deal. Bob was the Barrartheon heir and Ned the second son. So they were kinda important. Why would John Arryn have them?

Fostering wasn't always done for purposes of having hostages on hand, often it was done so that the child would be exposed to the wider world and to strengthen ties between houses.

EDIT: spelling

Probably a stupid question but I think this is the right thread for it.

that has been bugging me for quite a long time....thanks

So are you saying this is the place for stupid Qs? Just kidding. It seemed pretty common to foster your kids as wards with other houses to develop good relations and provide opportunities and good experiences for your kids. Think about Walder's request to have Gkids fostered at WF.

It still seems odd to me that Ned would be sent south to the Eyrie where there are no weirwoods. How old was Robert when his parents died in the shipwreck? Didn't he become lord then but didn't return to Storm's End to take his seat as head of thr house?

I would just like to clarify that period in the life of Ned and Robert. Does it mean they went to the tourney at Harrenhal from the Eyrie and returned to the Eyrie afterwards?

So are you saying this is the place for stupid Qs? Just kidding. It seemed pretty common to foster your kids as wards with other houses to develop good relations and provide opportunities and good experiences for your kids. Think about Walder's request to have Gkids fostered at WF.

Indeed. Though there seems to be other reasons as well. Brandon was fostered at Barrowton, a rather minor town of unimportant lords. Maybe it's in order for them to gain different experiences, and see the world a little? Or maybe be trained by a specifically trustworthy lord or master-at-arms, the way Jon Arryn seemed to be (or even Dunk, for that matter).

It still seems odd to me that Ned would be sent south to the Eyrie where there are no weirwoods. How old was Robert when his parents died in the shipwreck? Didn't he become lord then but didn't return to Storm's End to take his seat as head of thr house?

I would just like to clarify that period in the life of Ned and Robert. Does it mean they went to the tourney at Harrenhal from the Eyrie and returned to the Eyrie afterwards?

They were still wards of Jon Arryn when Aerys asked him for their heads at the start of Robert's Rebellion. So Robert was Lord of Storm's End but there was a castellan in charge.

There were still Godswoods even though there were no weirwoods.

Robert was 15 when his parents died, Stannis was 13.

I'd imagine he was still fostered with Jon Arryn to learn a bit about ruling. It certainly didn't sink in, but i'd imagine since he'd need a regent anyway they just decided to foster him with a Great Lord for a while so he could see what ruling a region is like.

I think they did return to the Eyrie. They were at the Eyrie when Aerys called for their heads.

It's also possible that Ned and Robb's fostership was part of the "southron ambitions" Rickard apparently had, which may have been part of a conspiracy to overthrow Rhaegar. Well worth checking out the related threads.

“I despise porridge.” He looked at her with Littlefinger’s eyes. “I’d sooner break my fast with a kiss.”

A true daughter would not refuse her sire a kiss, so Alayne went to him and kissed him, a quick dry peck upon the cheek, and just as quickly stepped away.

“How... dutiful.” Littlefinger smiled with his mouth, but not his eyes. “Well, I have other duties for you, as it happens. Tell the cook to mull some red wine with honey and raisins. Our guests will be cold and thirsty after their long climb. You are to meet them when they arrive, and offer them refreshment. Wine, bread, and cheese. What sort of cheese is left to us?”

“The sharp white and the stinky blue.”

Yep.

Archived