[Book Spoilers] Positive Nitpicking

Tyrion4President

Hodor, Kristian Nairn is the perfect Hodor, so much is expressed through Hodoring.

Arya and the Hound. Seriously, Arya and the Hound. I've been looking forward to Arya and the Hound since I read the book, and I'm so happy that we'll most likely get a season with those two. Also, Arya's coin scene, just awesome! It also made me wonder if they'll move some of Arya's missed scenes from earlier to season 4. I really hope so. I think I like Arya more in the show than in the books. Kudos to Maisie Williams.

Robbwind. It looked more horrifying than anything I could have imagined. I love how they made it clear that Robb has no head. Robb is dead, like so dead.

Girl's giggling when Podrik walked past them. Tyrion trying to get Podrik drunk.

Basically everything with Tyrion, Joffrey and Tywin. I also liked the scene with Tyrion and Sansa. Some hated it, I liked it. Oh, and Tywin sending Joffrey to bed without his supper, hah!

Walder Frey and Roose Bolton, really showed how different they are. Oh, Roose, you and Tywin would be best friends.

Reek!

"Cersei ..." That part actually moved me, and I could never have imagined it would.

Davos and Gendry chatting. Basically everything Liam did as Davos was pure gold. Davos is good man!

I loved the scenes with Bran and Sam. I haven't been a huge fan of those two this season, but this time I was almost begging for more. Sam calling Bran his brother, Hodor being Hodor, the story of the rat cook, Sam handing those obsidian weapons to the fellowship of the Bran, and finally making those people moaning about that scene in episode 8 shut up.

'I know how this must look.' Sam, you're talking to a blind man.

Brienne's face.

Davos's crash course in escaping islands.

The Roose and Walder comedy hour. That howl.

Bran's story about guest right, then the cut to Walder Frey. Subtle as a sledgehammer, but it worked.

Also, the return of Balon and Pyp, two characters who could have been written out by now, but weren't. Always nice.

The first thing I noticed was all the foreshadowing. Loved The North Remembers. And I loved the parallel between Jon being carried by his brothers and Dany by her "children". I know a lot of people didn't like the Dany scene but you have to admit, it was fantastic TV and it felt great. Also loved the hint of the suggestion that Dany is in over her head. You can see she's enjoying it to much and you can Jorah looking worried. I really liked that. Bodes well for things to come.

Loved Jamie and Brienne. For me, these two were one of the best parts of Season 3 even though they are whitewashing Jamie.

And now I want to talk a bit about Jon. While his relationship with Ygritte has been slow, especially in relation to some of the other stories, I think there's a very good comparison to Robb and Talisa that should be made. Robb chose love over duty, and Jon chose duty over love. They both took three arrows (bolts) for their decision, but one is still alive and the other isn't. Aemon put it best when he said that "Love is the death of duty."

I didn't notice this before I read your comment. I love it! This is what the shows does really well, these subtle comparisons.

ETA: Forgot to mention Dragonstone! "What is the life of one bastard boy against a kingdom?" "Everything" Did you think of Jon Snow too?

I like that you get the impression that Tywin’s least favorite family member is constantly shifting, mostly based on who is being the loudest at the moment.

It seems like people were hoping for more from the Jaime / Cersei reunion, but I liked how they played that. The Lannisters aren’t the kind of people who run across a room to hug each other, and after what they’ve been through, their relationship won’t / can’t pick up from where it left off.

Apparently I’m really slow, but I just noticed the parallels between the Bolton / Jaime and Sandor / Arya situations. Both Bolton and Sandor have high value captives and a choice to make the Lannisters happy, make the Starks happy, or kill / ignore the captive anonymously. Since they’re both unhappy with their liege lords, they decide to make the other camp happy much to the surprise of both captives. I like seeing parallel situations play out in both the books and the show.

There was a lot of concern that Sansa’s unwillingness to give her marriage a chance would make people hate her since show Tyrion is much less dark than book Tyrion. I think the show played that quite well, with her and Tyrion starting to bond but then the Red Wedding shut that down. Add in Tyrion’s mistress, escalating bitterness, and alcoholism, I don’t see the failure of their marriage being blamed on Sansa.

Yeah, I think some might have overreacted in regards to the first Tyrion/Sansa scene. Yes, I agree Tyrion is much more cuddly in the show but I also think Sansa was tired of being miserable. Not saying see was learning to love him but I think she was just trying to make the best of a bad situation.

Although, I guess that makes it all the more depressing. She's finally starting to get a laugh in and then bam, news of the Red Wedding.

I wonder who broke the news.

Thank you, TyrionforPresident! I was wondering where this thread was. I loved most things about this episode except that very last scene and couldn't wait to write them down. My very favorites are:

• When Walder Frey leaned forward at the mention of Winterfell and asked Bolton, "What happened up there?" I thought it was tantamount to his saying , "What's up with that?" Still makes me laugh just thinking about it.
  • The added scene with Tyrion and Sansa walking along, getting to be friends, with Tyrion as funny and clever as ever and Sansa talking about the sheep shift.
  • Joffrey aiming that tirade at Tywin about hiding under Casterly Rock while all the time the fear in his eyes was so clear, kind of emotionally ducking, unsure how Tywin was going to react, then Tywin sending Joffrey to bed because he'd been a 'bad boy'
  • Davos pronouncing "night" with that a short "i" and "git" as a second syllable
  • Davos's expression of shock/horror at the end of the Stannis/Mel scene when Stannis laughed and said "You're in his [Lord of Light's] army now." Gulp.
  • All of the conversation between Gendry and Davos, both down in the dungeon and also with when G set out in the boat. Both have a nice wry sense of humor
  • All of the Bran/Sam scenes, especially Sam basically saying 'you can't fool me, I know a direwolf when I see one', Hodor having fun at the well and beaming when Sam said he'd heard all about him, and the story of the Rat Cook - perfect follow-up to RW, loved M. Aemon's swinging into action, "they all [ravens] fly tonight", no questions, no doubts of Sam, no hesitation
  • Loved the tears in Ygritte's eyes and her expression after she'd gotten 3 arrows into Jon and he'd left - haven't always loved her but that lip quivering that went along with her tears was genius acting -- also loved Jon's tired, sad plea "I have to go home now" (and loved that he considers CB home to him now)
  • Arya and The Hound -- are there enough words? Loved it all. Somebody in another thread posted a link for a still shot of their riding away, the Hound with such a mournful and compassionate expression on his face as Arya sat crumpled before him with her head buried in his chest

ASHA FUCKING GREYJOY!!!!

She's SO Badass.... SO SO SO SO Badass!!!..."I'm taking the fastest ship, the 50 best killers on the Iron Islands and I'm going to get my baby brother"

FUCK YEAH

I'm NO fan of the Ironborn, but that was blood-chillingly-mind-blowingly-knock-your-socks-effingly EPIC!!!

ASHA FUCKING GREYJOY!!!!

She's SO Badass.... SO SO SO SO Badass!!!..."I'm taking the fastest ship, the 50 best killers on the Iron Islands and I'm going to get my baby brother"

FUCK YEAH

I'm NO fan of the Ironborn, but that was blood-chillingly-mind-blowingly-knock-your-socks-effingly EPIC!!!

Agreed! The Ironborn usually put me to sleep, but this Asha scene was badass. Even though it poses some awkward plot issues, it got me pumped up to go rescue Theon with Asha and the fifty best killers from the Iron Islands!

ASHA FUCKING GREYJOY!!!!

FUCK YEAH

What a perfect post.

seriously, Asha/Yara, why you gotta own so hard. I really can't wait.

I really enjoyed this episode in all honesty. Some of my favourites moments that stick out are:

Ramsay's face when he trolls Theon as he's eating then says "What? Noooo. Pork sausage. Do you think I'm some sort of savage?" made me LOL! Same as when he taunts Theon by saying "Your daddy was mean to you. The Starks didn't appreciate you" in episode 6.

Loved the small council meeting especially Tywin's cold stare of death to Joffrey and then calmly sending him to bed after Joff screams "while you hid under Casterly Rock!"

Arya's creepy lost child act. Wow! I would not want to meet her in a dark abandoned hallway. That whole scene was great especially with the Hound stepping between her and the remaining Frey men. I love how nonchalant he is about the whole thing afterwards too. "I just killed three men in under 10 seconds...must be Sunday."

Tywin Lannister. 'nuff said.

Arya killing the Frey men. Bummed they cut her killing the Tickler still though.

Ramsay creating his Reek

The Bolton/Walder Frey conversation was great as well. They're definitely setting Roose up as the next big bad guy.

ETA: I thought the angle of the shot with Stannis where Mel is on one shoulder and Davos was on the other was great as well. Despite completely botching Stannis, that shot was awesome.

My personal favorite scenes of the episode :

- Jon and Ygritte : I'm on the minority out there, but I swear, my eyes wept during their scene ! So intense !

- Reek and Ramsay : Man, Ramsay is so spot-on !

- Jon back at the Wall : "You're home !"

- Sam and Bran : Nice and full of trust scene.

- Davos and Gendry : Great dialogue between two men of Flea Bottom.

- Arya and the Hound : no words needed.

- Roose and Walder : Gimme more Bolton everyday ! Also, great dialogue and setting-up !

- Small Council : Do I really need to say more ?

- Back to Pyke : I really love Ash... I mean, Yara ! I feel her story will be a window to Rickon (Wex) and Wyman Manderly.

I want to add I enjoyed Varys's disgust with Joffrey during the small council meeting as well as his repressed amusement at Tyrion's snarky comments against Joffrey. Just subtle things but Varys was great.

Archived