Aegon VI's Wives: Arianne and Margaery?

protar

Is there any indication Mace has a propensity for any sort of intrigue though? His own mother seems to keep him out of the loop on that stuff. Olenna is the cloak and dagger expert in the family.

Mace isn't an invalid. It's hardly a difficult plan to think up and Mace is cowardly enough to do it. It's perhaps a little stupid but that's the entire point - I think such a match would lead to disaster.

No see, I think the Tyrells will simply ignore the results of the trial in that case, and call the High Sparrow a lunatic. They're already pissed Margaery has been arrested. If push comes to shove, they'll simply ignore the result of the trial.

And then the Faith Militant will kill them. Or at least cause huge riots in KL. If either Cersei or Margaery lose their trial there's nothing they can do about it. You're also making no narrative sense. Why would Martin write a trial with such stakes if the result can simply be ignored?

Tyene hasn't even reached King's Landing yet, let alone organise a coup amongst the hardline Sparrows and assassinate the King.

So what if she hasn't arrived yet? I'm talking stuff that will potentially happen at the end of TWOW. We know she's a cunning young woman, we know she wants war with the Lannisters and we know she's being sent to infiltrate the Faith. 1+1=2.

Because you're positing a scenario which is an extremely long way away from happening, that would reflect a 180 in behaviour for the current Tyrell leaders (specifically, aligning with the Dornish, being obssessed with royal politics no matter the cost).

Sorry, I simply don't see the scenario you base this thread on ever happening.

Aligning with the Dornish? You mean like they've already done via the Lannisters? Being obsessed with royal politics? You mean like they've already been doing with the Lannisters? How is this a 180 for the Tyrells in anyway?

• Aegon marries Arianne to ally with Dornish.
  • Aegon takes KL and/or Cersei loses her trial
  • Tommen dies.
  • Tyrells throw lot in with Aegon.
  • Aegon wants to emulate Aegon I, offers to marry Margaery as well.
  • Dornish have no problem with this because the Tyrell/Martell enmity is one-sided and because the first child would likely be Arianne's.
  • Tyrell's have no problem with this because they believe they can have Arianne assassinated or slip her moon tea. Also because it allows Margaery to be Queen again.
  • Aegon marries Margaery, has virtually the whole south on his side.
  • Eventually however cracks begin to form and this leads to Aegon's downfall along with Dany's invasion of Westeros.

Mace isn't an invalid. It's hardly a difficult plan to think up and Mace is cowardly enough to do it. It's perhaps a little stupid but that's the entire point - I think such a match would lead to disaster.

And then the Faith Militant will kill them. Or at least cause huge riots in KL. If either Cersei or Margaery lose their trial there's nothing they can do about it. You're also making no narrative sense. Why would Martin write a trial with such stakes if the result can simply be ignored?

So what if she hasn't arrived yet? I'm talking stuff that will potentially happen at the end of TWOW. We know she's a cunning young woman, we know she wants war with the Lannisters and we know she's being sent to infiltrate the Faith. 1+1=2.

Aligning with the Dornish? You mean like they've already done via the Lannisters? Being obsessed with royal politics? You mean like they've already been doing with the Lannisters? How is this a 180 for the Tyrells in anyway?

• Aegon marries Arianne to ally with Dornish.
  • Aegon takes KL and/or Cersei loses her trial
  • Tommen dies.
  • Tyrells throw lot in with Aegon.
  • Aegon wants to emulate Aegon I, offers to marry Margaery as well.
  • Dornish have no problem with this because the Tyrell/Martell enmity is one-sided and because the first child would likely be Arianne's.
  • Tyrell's have no problem with this because they believe they can have Arianne assassinated or slip her moon tea. Also because it allows Margaery to be Queen again.
  • Aegon marries Margaery, has virtually the whole south on his side.
  • Eventually however cracks begin to form and this leads to Aegon's downfall along with Dany's invasion of Westeros.

This does seem the most logical way things are likely to go. The question is who would support Dany then? I cannot see the Storm Lords or the Lannisters supporting her. This leaves the Vale, the Riverlands and the Iron Islands. The next Dance of the Dragon begins probably with Dany emerging victorious.

Why would Tommen be declared illegitimate if Cersei loses her trial? We know he is illegitimate, but it is simply not part of her trial. it is also not in the interest of the High Septon. He just wants a cowed, subdued Cersei and a loyal Crown. Tommen is everyone's ideal King, as he is sweet and looks easy to influence.

I agree though that the Tyrells would not be sticking around very long. Especially as Marge is not married to Tommen, only betrothed. They dumped Sansa in a heartbeat as well. I wish Loras and Marge were loyal to Tommen and looked after him, but it is never gonna happen. They are players.

Cersei will be sentenced to death if she loses her trial. The High Septon is not a forgiving man. Although, since she is no longer in the custody of the Faith, it's hard to see how a death sentence could be enforced without the agreement of the Small Council. If Cersei has been found guilty of incest with Jaime, and therefore treason, that is bound to cast a lot of doubt on Tommen's legitimacy. The Tyrells don't want that, because Margaery is married (not just betrothed) to Tommen. If he's deposed, then Margaery ceases to be Queen.

If Margaery herself is found guilty of adultery, and therefore treason, then she in turn will be sentenced to death. Like Danm_999, I couldn't see the Tyrells allowing that sentence to be enforced, but it would result, at the very least, in her marriage being annulled. Mace Tyrell might very well go ahead with his suggestion to Ser Kevan that Tommen should simply proclaim Margaery to be innocent.

If, however, information is released at Margaery's trial which implicates her in the poisoning of Joffrey, then things get very interesting. The Tyrells are almost certainly powerful enough to face down the Faith if she's only found guilty of adultery. But, if she's found guilty of murdering the previous King, I doubt if they could save her.

This has crossed my mind as it would then avoid Aegon's campaign throughout the Reach and at the same time, Aegon would still have a strong alliance with the Martells . But anyway, 2 wives at the same time is never a good thing!

I'd love if it happened though. The Tyrells and the Lannisters hate each other so it would be pretty silly if they united again to kick Aegon's ass.

This does seem the most logical way things are likely to go. The question is who would support Dany then? I cannot see the Storm Lords or the Lannisters supporting her. This leaves the Vale, the Riverlands and the Iron Islands. The next Dance of the Dragon begins probably with Dany emerging victorious.

The Vale will ally with the North imo, as will some of the Riverlands. However the Riverlands have always been very divided so I can see some of the Riverlands joining Dany. The Ironborn seem set to ally with Dany via Victarion's fleet. I can also see the broken and spent Lannisters managing to flee to Casterly Rock and rallying the Westerlands for Dany in a last wild bid for power. So the second Dance with Dragons would go:

• Aegon: Crownlands, Stormlands, Reach, Dorne, and the Faith Millitant
  • Dany: Ironborn, Westerlands, Riverlands, Essosi

The Vale will ally with the North imo, as will some of the Riverlands. However the Riverlands have always been very divided so I can see some of the Riverlands joining Dany. The Ironborn seem set to ally with Dany via Victarion's fleet. I can also see the broken and spent Lannisters managing to flee to Casterly Rock and rallying the Westerlands for Dany in a last wild bid for power. So the second Dance with Dragons would go:

• Aegon: Crownlands, Stormlands, Reach, Dorne, and the Faith Millitant
  • Dany: Ironborn, Westerlands, Riverlands, Essosi

Even in the days of Jon Arryn after the death of his heir, not all the Vale Lords rose up to fight against the Targaryens. With the foreshadowed love of flying Robert Arryn has, it seems to me like Dan could win them over to her side.

Dany hates Lannisters and the Westerlands are unlikely to fight for someone allied with Tyrion.

Even in the days of Jon Arryn after the death of his heir, not all the Vale Lords rose up to fight against the Targaryens. With the foreshadowed love of flying Robert Arryn has, it seems to me like Dan could win them over to her side.

Dany hates Lannisters and the Westerlands are unlikely to fight for someone allied with Tyrion.

She could potentially win the Vale over to her side however to start with they'll be allied with the North I think under Sansa. However they could come in at a later date to turn the tide.

Were the Lannisters to side with Dany I think it would be a last resort: They're beaten and broken and Dany is the only person who might offer them some salvation. Dany grudgingly allows them to ally with her to get more troops - and then to Cersei's dismay she finds that Tyrion is Dany's right hand man.

no way in heck jon con makes him marry anyone but dany. Still don't see mace leaving the power he has now though unless tommen dies and marg is kinda damamged goods by now.

Regardless of whether or not marries Arianne, Margaery, Sansa or any combination of the three a marriage with Dany is looking incredibly unlikely now. Aegon needs to shore up his alliances ASAP now he's at Westeros and Dany is taking her sweet time in Meereen. Plus Martin has confirmed a second Dance of Dragons so it seems like Dany and Aegon are almost certainly at war.

Regardless of Aegon's actual legitimacy does anyone see this as a possibility? There's definitely precedent for Targaryen polygamy and Aegon might benefit from emulating Aegon the Conquerer.

Arianne marrying Aegon would solidify the Dornish alliance to him, and as for Margaery she'll likely be seeking some new legitimacy as Queen now that House Lannister is about to fall.

While it would be strategically sound in the short term I think that in the long term such a match would help lead to the downfall of Aegon. So much has been made of the Martell/Tyrell rivalry but nothing has actually came of it yet. This could be a potential catalyst for the enmity to flare up.

Thoughts?

I could also see Aegon VI marry, both a Blackwood and a Bracken maid, it won't happen of course, but one can always dream!

It's a joke. Besides, I think that one of the queens *has* to lose to the Faith, and it won't be Cersei.

Other than that, Aegon might keep one spot empty in case Dany would decide to join him (as Tyrion advised him).

I also think that Margaery will loose her trial. It would seem weird to have both Cersei and Margaery get off, and I think Cersei will live through tWoW (long enough for Maggy's prophecy to come true). Also, Tommen is Margaery's third husband, I seriously doubt she will have a fourth since the number three usually has significance in literature.

I think that Arianne will marry Aegon because we've already seen chapters where her marriage prospects have been discussed, including the plot to marry her to Viserys, and having Aegon marry a Westerosi noble would add legitimacy (and military strength) to his claim. Daenerys is responsible for the death of Viserys (Arianne's betrothed) and Quentyn (Doran's first son). After what they've been through with Daenerys and their unlikelihood of allying with the Lannisters, I'm guessing Aegon will look pretty good to them in comparison.

Okay I have a bit of a crackpot that I don't actually want to happen but since at this point anything can happen it's probably worth mentioning and someone smarter than I am can say yes or no.

I'm on my second read through and really it's a whole new set of books this time around. This is what we know, a Faceless Man named Pate, formally known as Jaqen H'ghar is in the Citadel with a skeleton key. I just finished aDwD Tyrion IV and there was a lot packed into that chapter. I found out that there is a copy of a book called Blood and Fire, or The Death of Dragons locked away in a vault. I remember from my first read in a Jon chapter that Bravos hates dragons, because Jon made a joke about them to the banker and he was like 'don't even joke about that.' People say that the Faceless Men are in league with the Bank of Bravos. So "Pate" is probably looking for that book for a way to kill the dragons.

Here is the crackpot: At the very end of Tyrion IV, they are on the Rhoyne, which I think is Queen Nymeria's river, and at Nymeria's city of Ny Sar, where the the main river meets the stream called the Wild Daughter, they get blessed by the turtle Ysilla calls The Old Man of the River. Who has a direwolf named Nymeria in the Riverlands and is a wild daughter? It could mean nothing or it could mean Arya and fAegon will meet and she'll become his Queen.

BUT WHY would she do that? Because the Faceless Men would need her political power in order to take down Dany and her dragons. Then after the war is won she will go back to the faceless men and they fake her death and that's when they are prying needle from her cold hands in the spring thaw. I only say that because I can't see what the Faceless Men would stand to gain by her being Queen of Westeros forever. Alternate ending, she actually dies.

:dunno: Like I said I don't actually want this to happen, but I wouldn't throw my kindle in rage if it did either.

Mladen, why do you think that the Faith would be so set against a Targaryen contender?

Remember, Aegon is not their natural enemy; he's a good little follower of the Seven. He's not even a product of incest and his name is not besmirched by any sin (like the RW, for example, which smallfolk hold the Lannisters responsible for, too).

All true... But I believe Faith alway had problems with Targaryens, especially armed Faith. You have someone that proclaims to be above the Gods, and do whatever they want to do. Basically, those are Targaryens. Also, I don`t think any of Aegon`s counselors will look fondly on armed Faith. We had historical conflicts between them. And can you just imagine what would happen once Dany arrives with dragons? Both her and Aegon will not be looked fondly once they start playing the Game. Faith was subdued only by Targaryens, and I don`t see new High Septon being humble servant to the King.

All true... But I believe Faith alway had problems with Targaryens, especially armed Faith. You have someone that proclaims to be above the Gods, and do whatever they want to do. Basically, those are Targaryens. Also, I don`t think any of Aegon`s counselors will look fondly on armed Faith. We had historical conflicts between them. And can you just imagine what would happen once Dany arrives with dragons? Both her and Aegon will not be looked fondly once they start playing the Game. Faith was subdued only by Targaryens, and I don`t see new High Septon being humble servant to the King.

Then who else does the Faith side with? The Lannisters are the only other viable candidate and they aren't very friendly with the Faith at the moment.

I see your points, but could you tell me which other king/queen the Faith is supposed to support? Should Cersei be found guilty (i know it probably wont happen), Tommen would lose all claim to the throne.

Stannis is following a red demon and the Ironborn have their drowned god.

The only king, who is currently following the faith of the seven, is Aegon :)

Then who else does the Faith side with? The Lannisters are the only other viable candidate and they aren't very friendly with the Faith at the moment.

I see your points, but could you tell me which other king/queen the Faith is supposed to support? Should Cersei be found guilty (i know it probably wont happen), Tommen would lose all claim to the throne.

Stannis is following a red demon and the Ironborn have their drowned god.

The only king, who is currently following the faith of the seven, is Aegon :)

You all forget Tommen. What if Cersei and Margaery get out free of that trial, which is most likely scenario? What then? Then, everything will remain the same, and in their eyes of Faith, Tommen is the King. Also, never forget, Cersei hasn`t been officially charged with inces with Jaime. High Septon thinks it`s Stannis`s lie, and due to Melisandre, he is ready to overlook it. Ser Robert Strong will beat the crap out of any Faith champion. Let us not forget who he actually is...

You all forget Tommen. What if Cersei and Margaery get out free of that trial, which is most likely scenario? What then? Then, everything will remain the same, and in their eyes of Faith, Tommen is the King. Also, never forget, Cersei hasn`t been officially charged with inces with Jaime. High Septon thinks it`s Stannis`s lie, and due to Melisandre, he is ready to overlook it. Ser Robert Strong will beat the crap out of any Faith champion. Let us not forget who he actually is...

And how likely is that to actually happen. Something has to happen with Cersei's trial to shake up the status quo and regardless of whether or not Cersei wins free, the Faith is hardly going to forgive her on the spot. They'll keep fighting her to the bitter end.

And how likely is that to actually happen. Something has to happen with Cersei's trial to shake up the status quo and regardless of whether or not Cersei wins free, the Faith is hardly going to forgive her on the spot. They'll keep fighting her to the bitter end.

They won`t fight her to bitter end. High Septon wants power, and he has a means to claim it. He will become Tommen`s Regent and therefore Faith will be united with Lannister/Tyrell aliance. The trial isn`t about justice, it`s about Faith taking the power.

They won`t fight her to bitter end. High Septon wants power, and he has a means to claim it. He will become Tommen`s Regent and therefore Faith will be united with Lannister/Tyrell aliance. The trial isn`t about justice, it`s about Faith taking the power.

The trial is about the faith getting power. They don't want to side with a faction who isn't devout in worshiping the Faith, unless the High Sparrow isn't so devout as he claims. That would seriously disappoint me though I see a lot of people saying that. In any case, even if the High Sparrow does just want power, he's not going to get that from the Lannisters. If Cersei is let free then she'll probably have him assassinated and certainly won't be giving him any power. If Cersei is found guilty Tommen loses his legitimacy and any power the Faith gains by siding with him is gone. There's no way I can see that the High Sparrow can get anything out of siding with the Lannisters any more. Not a doubt in my mind that he'll be siding with Aegon, with some ushering from Tyene.

Archived