FOOTBALL XLIV - Mansours, Khelaifis, and Rybolovlevs,... oh my!

Horus Ex Machina

I think the main thing about Higuain as a potential signing of the season is if he works out, he'll have added a whole new dimension to Arsenal's game. I don't think the same will be true of Paulinho - he's a bloody good player but he's adding depth, not a whole new thing. And he's hardly costing peanuts himself, isn't 17mil being touted?

Given that the two best signings last season though were Benteke and Michu, I wouldn't be overly surprised if it was another cheap(er), relatively unkown player again. Lots of teams are throwing cash around - Villa, Norwich, Swansea, Southampton and Fulham are all looking very busy in the market this summer.

Hmm. Not sure, personally. I mean he's a good goalscorer and I've seen him do well for Argentina - but for some reason I don't fancy him to be outstanding? I mean, I think he'll get 15-16 goals - but how many did Giroud get this season?

Dunno, why. Maybe he'll do very well, I'm not confident though. (Also the deal's been dragging for a while)

Higuain has had several seasons with over 20 goals in RM. I think personally that he will do at least 25 goals in Arsenal if Arsenal's other players also do well with passing etc.

He's easily a 20+ goals a season player if he fits in with the system and the league. He's got a great goals-to-minutes and I think goals-to-shots ratio. He's a bit limited at anything else other than running past players and finishing, he'll never be Henry or Van Persie, but he's quality at getting the ball in the net.

Higuain is a great signing, although arguably it means even more than your average 25 million move in that arsenal are shattering their whole ethos of the last several years for this.

It'll be a bit awkward at the players bbqs or whatnot, like we were discussing for the MLS upthread, when there's this one guy earning three times more than everybody else.

But the best news is that Rooney's probably staying at united. I'd've had to revoke Arsenal's status as my third favourite team if that'd gone through.

Jozy Altidore to Sunderland. Bad decision.

http://tracking.si.c...fer-sunderland/

He was setting scoring records in the Eredivisie and was finally playing well for the nats. With a World Cup just around the fvcking corner he could have leveraged a solid performance next summer into a transfer to a better club. Now he's in a difficult league with a club that may well not be able to provide him with the space and service to be successful. If it were 2 or 3 years until the World Cup, I could understand this move, but the only reason there was a lack of interest was his prior stint at Hull. That could have been alleviated with a solid World Cup. Now I worry that a season with Sunderland can kill his momentum going into that World Cup.

(Also the deal's been dragging for a while)

It's not taking any longer than transfers used to take, wiltord for example took ages. But that was all pre-social media, these days we have news 24/7 through twitter and radio, and I'm fairly certain signing someone who will probably be our most expensive signing to date, is more than just giving him a contract and telling him to sign on the dotted line.

Higuain is a great signing, although arguably it means even more than your average 25 million move in that arsenal are shattering their whole ethos of the last several years for this.

It'll be a bit awkward at the players bbqs or whatnot, like we were discussing for the MLS upthread, when there's this one guy earning three times more than everybody else.

Isn't it reported that he will be on about 100K? That's the figure that seems to be on most of those sites, if he's earning three times more than someone like Ignasi Miquel or Eisfeld, then I don't think it's much of big deal. Because he's at another level to those two. We've also got Walcott at the same level, whilst Cazorla, Per, Giroud are probably on something from 50-80

My cousin lives in Washington State, but I'm definitely stopping for 3 days in DC on the way! Would love to catch a game on the way through if I can... Football, drink, food, all the good stuff. Happening.

Archived