FOOTBALL XLIV - Mansours, Khelaifis, and Rybolovlevs,... oh my!

Horus Ex Machina

A rough first day at the Gold Cup for the automatic qualifiers:

Mexico 1-2 Panama

This officially cements that Mexico is in trouble. That is their first ever loss to Panama,... a team that's only two points behind them in WC qualifying. And they have to play them again at Azteca. Normally that would be a safe game, but Mexico has yet to win a game at Azteca this year. Last year most expected Mexico to be the team surging and the US to be struggling. Funny game, footall...

http://www.voxxi.com/mexico-lose-against-panama-gold-cup/

CONMEBOL wants to merge tournaments for a centennial celebration tournament played in the US in 2016, but FIFA has to sign off on that. I think CONCACAF needs it more than CONMEBOL despite it being CONMEBOL's idea. CONMEBOL needs the money, sponsorships, and television market of N. America, and CONCACAF needs a credible tournament to be a part of,... at least part time.

One thing that's for certain is that neither the US nor Mexico are willing to play all A team players anymore at the pre WC edition of the Gold Cup. Post-WC still gets A team players, but our confederation tournament is still a bit of a joke. Noone even remotely thinks anyone outside of the US or Mexico have a shot in hell of winning it, and now they're not even taking this tournament seriously. How can this tournament ever improve? And only two countries in our region have the ability to ever host the tournament, but it will likely never leave our shores.

http://bleacherrepor...eed-of-a-revamp

One wonders if Arsenal will ever sign Higuain, or if United will ever sign Thiago Alcantara.

Good move for Gomez? At least he will get more time now, but I'm not sure of Fiorentina as a destination, seems like he deserves an even bigger club, teams like City or Madrid should have gone for him. Still, beautiful city, club with history, not bad at all. I'm just surprised Munich decided they wanted to be rid of him, really surprised still, I rate him slightly higher than Mandzukic, so if Lewandowski isn't coming, you are giving up your best striker IMO. I know others will disagree because they feel he is too limited technically, but he is an elite goal scoring machine, and as even Barcelona shows, sometimes you just need someone who scores all the time, even if he will not a double scissors from the midfield every week. He never failed for Munich either, he just got injured and they replaced him.

I see Dortmund have signed the Armenian who was supposed to go to Liverpool and are touting him as Gotze's replacement. Curious to see him play.

I know others will disagree because they feel he is too limited technically, but he is an elite goal scoring machine, and as even Barcelona shows, sometimes you just need someone who scores all the time, even if he will not a double scissors from the midfield every week. He never failed for Munich either, he just got injured and they replaced him.

Amongst those who disagree with your view is Jupp Heynckes, who did rather well last season using him as second or third choice striker. It's not so much technical limitations, it's that he doesn't add much to a team's overall play. If you're dominating the other side anyway, that's no problem, but if you find yourself hard-pressed, a striker like Gómez is a liability you can't afford to have on the pitch.

Also, are you seriously comparing Gómez to Messi?

One wonders if Arsenal will ever sign Higuain, or if United will ever sign Thiago Alcantara.

Good move for Gomez? At least he will get more time now, but I'm not sure of Fiorentina as a destination, seems like he deserves an even bigger club, teams like City or Madrid should have gone for him. Still, beautiful city, club with history, not bad at all. I'm just surprised Munich decided they wanted to be rid of him, really surprised still, I rate him slightly higher than Mandzukic, so if Lewandowski isn't coming, you are giving up your best striker IMO. I know others will disagree because they feel he is too limited technically, but he is an elite goal scoring machine, and as even Barcelona shows, sometimes you just need someone who scores all the time, even if he will not a double scissors from the midfield every week. He never failed for Munich either, he just got injured and they replaced him.

yea I've also been shocked by the lack of interest in this guy, he's scored over 100goals for Bayern!(He joined in '09). Clubs like Inter & Atletico madrid could really do with a guy like him, yet the only club that's showed interest is Fiorentia..I don't understand it.

Despite the King Kenny tap in, he would genuinely be a decent shout for you lot I reckon. Easily affordable if you shift the racist as well.

And us come to think of it, though my sources tell me that Jovetic's agent is currently in Manchester negotiating. Looking at around a £25m fee + £80k wages.

yea I've also been shocked by the lack of interest in this guy, he's scored over 100goals for Bayern!(He joined in '09). Clubs like Inter & Atletico madrid could really do with a guy like him, yet the only club that's showed interest is Fiorentia..I don't understand it.

It's simple enough: Gomez is a type of player that no longer suits how coaches at the top level want to set up their teams. The days when all a striker had to do was score goals are gone, at least for now: nowadays, all of the top teams in Europe demand strength, mobility and link-up play, and these are not Gomez' strong suits. He can't hope to be more than second choice at any really top-level team, but he can be first choice at a slightly lower level - hence Fiorentina.

It's simple enough: Gomez is a type of player that no longer suits how coaches at the top level want to set up their teams. The days when all a striker had to do was score goals are gone, at least for now: nowadays, all of the top teams in Europe demand strength, mobility and link-up play, and these are not Gomez' strong suits. He can't hope to be more than second choice at any really top-level team, but he can be first choice at a slightly lower level - hence Fiorentina.

Added to that, Gomez doesn't just 'just score goals', he sometimes outright gets in the way. You see it when he plays for Germany.

The thing is that he really needs the team to be set up in a very specific way to be at his best - direct, lots of crosses and aerial balls. Bayern did a fair bit of that until last season but then Heynckes changed it and there's no chance whatsoever that Pep's going to go back to that.

Atletico have just signed Villa. Yes, he's older but I'm reasonably certain he'll do better for them than Gomez would. Though they're still likely to want someone else I reckon (they're one of the clubs linked with Benteke).

Jon,

No, I'm not comparing Gomez to Messi. Not sure why you'd infer that, maybe because I said he could go to City or Madrid?

I think he would be a succesful striker at a top club again, that's pretty much it. If I were Juve, I'd have picked him over Tevez for instance. But apparently the proof is in the pudding, all the first tier top clubs aren't interested.

David Beckham has been spotted out and about last night with what looks like 5 members of the Manchester branch of the EDL.

Full story.

I don't know what the greatest sartorial crime in that picture, but it's close competition with a strong field of challengers.

Probably the jumper tied around the waist. Possibly Phil's 'Boots work experience' look.

No, I'm not comparing Gomez to Messi. Not sure why you'd infer that, maybe because I said he could go to City or Madrid?

I think he would be a succesful striker at a top club again, that's pretty much it. If I were Juve, I'd have picked him over Tevez for instance. But apparently the proof is in the pudding, all the first tier top clubs aren't interested.

I think it possible that Juve might have gone for Gomez over Tevez if they didn't already have Llortente, who's also a big tall strong striker of fairly limited mobility, but with a much stronger all-round game. As it is, Tevez adds something a bit different.

I do think that Tevez at his best is rather better than Gomez, but Gomez at least is fairly consistent and not a disruptive influence the way the Scarface is, so I'd probably take Gomez if I was to pick one onto a blank squad sheet.

I thought with your reference to Barcelona you'd meant that Messi's consistent goalscoring kept Barcelona competitive even when their team wasn't ticking as it used to do, which I took as an implicit comparison.

Archived