Moments of Foreshadowing 5

Fire Eater

Don't know if this came up yet:

"Don't make me rue the day I raped your mother" by Roose Bolton will lead to Ramsay doing exactly this: making Roose rue the day he raped Ramsay's mother, i.e. Ramsay will kill Roose (btw, a Roose Bolton prologue for TWoW would be awesome).

Yeah, I think in all of the confusion in Winterfell. Ramsay will not only kill Roose when the Frey soldiers leave Winterfell to fight but he will kill Fat Walda and the unborn legit Bolton in her. He will not let the Freys back in the Castle either, nor the Manderly's. HE sent the letter to Jon. He is pinned up in Winterfell and scared, some supporters he knows he cannot trust and is paranoid.

And it's better than Arya being Jon's Nissa Nissa...

yes, but just as people say she's too young for Gendry, she's too young for Jon. Plus, they're besties, and Starks aren't raised to marry family.

yes, but just as people say she's too young for Gendry, she's too young for Jon. Plus, they're besties, and Starks aren't raised to marry family.

I agree. I was just throwing it out there for fun. I like Nymeria reborn, I mean Arya better as a Faceless Gal than as a Queen...

In ACoK (pg. 809 to be exact), Theon has a dream of the feast of the dead at Winterfell. When He notices who he thinks is Lyanna, Rickard, and Brandon, the door to the great hall opens and in walks in Robb and Greywind, both bleeding from many "savage" wounds.

To me, this was obvious foreshadowing of the Red Wedding.

The other one that I noticed is on pg 418 of ASoS. Jaime is thinking how he cannot die while Cersei lives. That they were born together and will die together. This leads me to believe that he is the valonqar, not Tyrion.

Sorry if these were already brought up

aCoK, the Night's Watch at Whitetree

Jon said, "My lord father believed that no man could tell a lie in front of a heart tree. The old gods know when men are lying."

"My father believed the same," said the Old Bear. ...

This might foreshadow an interrogation scene in front of a heart tree, perhaps in the Godswood at Winterfell. My first guess would be Bran asking Roose Bolton about his role in the Red Wedding before Bran lops off Roose's head, but it could be other people involved. Or it could refer to the island tree that Asha wants Stannis to take Theon to.

aCoK, the Night's Watch at Whitetree

This might foreshadow an interrogation scene in front of a heart tree, perhaps in the Godswood at Winterfell. My first guess would be Bran asking Roose Bolton about his role in the Red Wedding before Bran lops off Roose's head, but it could be other people involved. Or it could refer to the island tree that Asha wants Stannis to take Theon to.

I brought this up in small questions. I think any lie told in front of a heart tree exposes the liar to divine retribution. See eg Dontos swearing to take Sansa home & Ramsay fake Arya wedding.

he [Aeron Greyojoy] would jape and jabber and make mock

Gerion made japes

Nor had Uncle Gery, the youngest and most reckless of his father's brothers,

I think Damphair provides foreshadowing for Gerion Lannister. Like Aeron, Gerion was the youngest and most reckless of four brothers who like to jape and fulfill the old adage of "youth is wasted on the young". Aeron's name of his ship was Golden Storm.

I think the Damphair's dead. I think the Crow's Eye slit his throat for him. Ironmaker's search is just to make us believe the priest escaped.

The men Lord Tywin sent to seek after him had traced his course as far as Volantis

Tywin actually paid the crew of the Laughing Lion to throw Gerion overboard when they were out at sea so as he would no longer disgrace House Lannister. Aeron was cast into the sea where he nearly drowned, and changed into Damphair. Aeron was humorless and stern compared to the pirate Euron. Invert it a little, and Gerion nearly drowned when he was thrown overboard and nearly drowned, and after the ordeal he changed into a pirate.

Gerion made japes

I think Damphair provides foreshadowing for Gerion Lannister. Like Aeron, Gerion was the youngest and most reckless of four brothers who like to jape and fulfill the old adage of "youth is wasted on the young". Aeron's name of his ship was Golden Storm.

I think the Damphair's dead. I think the Crow's Eye slit his throat for him. Ironmaker's search is just to make us believe the priest escaped.

The men Lord Tywin sent to seek after him had traced his course as far as Volantis

Tywin actually paid the crew of the Laughing Lion to throw Gerion overboard when they were out at sea so as he would no longer disgrace House Lannister. Aeron was cast into the sea where he nearly drowned, and changed into Damphair. Aeron was humorless and stern compared to the pirate Euron. Invert it a little, and Gerion nearly drowned when he was thrown overboard and nearly drowned, and after the ordeal he changed into a pirate.

Assuming that you are right on the theory, there's no way Tywin would kill his brother.

If that was the case, why is Tyrion alive?

And most importantly, why hasn't he been allowed to go with uncle Gerion?

Most likely Gerion has been thrown from the boat by the new men he had paid after a possible mutiny when he told the crew they were sailing to Valyria.

There's a Quentyn chapter that makes us reflect on that subject, iirc.

Also I believe that Aeron foreshadowing Gerion feels too farfetched: for example, Theon makes japes and fools around, he is the youngest Greyjoy brother alive, some family members could want him dead and he changed completely attitude after a sort of incident called Ramsay. Similarities at best, rater than foreshadowing.

Of course I say this without taking anything away from the many foreshadowing hints you brought on these threads! Just cannot take this one. :P

It would be interesting to see if Gerion is actually a pirate (or instead the Shrouded Lord or whatever) rather than simply being dead like I believe... weren't Aurane Waters and the Golden Company good candidates for being pirates?

I stumbled on a great one the other day during my reread. In one of sansa's early chapters in ACoK, she sees janos slynt in the throne room and thinks to herself, "I hope some great hero will come along one day and cut his head off." We now know her wish came true, and it gives us one more piece of evidence that jon is destined for greatness.

Assuming that you are right on the theory, there's no way Tywin would kill his brother.

If that was the case, why is Tyrion alive?

And most importantly, why hasn't he been allowed to go with uncle Gerion?

Tywin wouldn't see it him killing his brother since the crew were the ones throwing Gerion overboard not Tywin. Tyrion was still his and Joanna's son, and that may be why he didn't try to off him. I'll just agree to disagree.

I'd like to thank tze for finding this one.

SSM

What basically happened was that a Valyrian fleet, which was rowed by slaves, was taken over by the slaves after they mutinied. And they decided to get as far away to the north as they could, sailing through the narrow sea to find a refuge.

The Moonsingers led us to this place of refuge

The Volantene fleet is coming to Meereen which is rowed by slaves and the Volantenes consider themselves to be the heirs to old Valyria. Dany is referred to as "moon of my life" by Drogo. She may have the slave soldiers mutiny against their Old Blood masters.

Hi !

I'm not sure if this had already been said but I'm currently doing a Jon's re-read and I noticed this:

He (Robb) had the Princess Myrcella on his arm. She was a wisp of a girl, not quite eight, her hair a cascade of golden curls under a jeweled net. Jon noticed the shy looks she gave Robb as they passed between the tables and the timid way she smiled at him. He (Jon) decided she was insipid. Robb didn't even have the sense to realize how stupid she was; he was grinning like a fool.

This moment is often use to prove that Jon is not so good to judge a person at first glance but I think it only foreshadows Jon's and Robb's different taste in women. We know that Robb marry Jeyne who could be described as shy and timid, whereas Jon finds that kind of girl insipid and prefers girls like Ygritte and Val who sure can not be described as shy.

What do you think ?

(First post yeah ! And sorry for my bad english)

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but in A Clash of Kings, in Theon's first POV as he is being shown to his rooms in the bloody keep, he has this thought:

But Greyjoys were not murdered in Pyke except once in a great while by their brothers, and his brothers were both dead.

This foreshadows that Euron will kill Balon, which is a distinct possibility with the mystery surrounding Balon's death.

Gerion made japes

I don't know how to do spoiler box'

but I thought GRRM had offered to read a damphair chapter from TWOW at a con?

If so surely he ant dead....yet?

forgive me if I am wrong.

Archived