Worst Sibling in ASOIAF

The Prince of Ice

I wonder what gives you the idea that the khalasar would listen to Dany's wishes. The khal topped her and the khal wanted Viserys roasted. On the contrary, some of Drogo's men openly protested against her orders before. I imagine that her convincing their khal that Viserys should be forgiven for breaking their sacred laws would go particularly well with them.

There is common blood and then there is common sense.

I was not talking about the Khalasar obeying her wishes to not kill Viserys, but just protect her. Viserys was not a real threat. She could have easily ordered them to forbid Viserys from coming near her.

I was not talking about the Khalasar obeying her wishes to not kill Viserys, but just protect her. Viserys was not a real threat. She could have easily ordered them to forbid Viserys from coming near her.

He probably would have still drawn his blade.

Honestly, the best she could have done for Viserys is have Jorah take him back to Illyrio after his first attack and then continue to pressure Drogo to keep up his end of the bargain.

Oh, he is definitely not the worst. He knew the truth, yes, but he did not tell Robert because then Robert would not have believed him. He would have just blamed Stannis that he is lying in order to get the throne for himself. That is why Stannis did not want to tell Robert directly and talked to Jon Arryn instead and tried to prove to him about the incest. Jon Arryn then was close to proving it but unfortunately died. I think it's a little too harsh to blame Stannis for Robert's murder.

On topic, Gregor is absolutely number 1, without competition, followed by Ramsay and maybe Euron.

For a so called man of justice and duty Stannis sure failed in serving his king.

For a so called man of justice and duty Stannis sure failed in serving his king.

Stannis brought his concerns to Jon a man he knew Robert would trust. Jon then died leaving Stannis in a tough position. The accusation coming from him would look like a greedy brother trying to steal the throne.

Stannis brought his concerns to Jon a man he knew Robert would trust. Jon then died leaving Stannis in a tough position. The accusation coming from him would look like a greedy brother trying to steal the throne.

Why didn't he try contacting Ned then?

Why didn't he try contacting Ned then?

He did not know nor was he on friendly terms with Ned. He and Jon had become somewhat close in their time on the council. Jon Arryn even wanted Stannis to foster his son. We don't know what Stannis was planning to do, but he was probably building up his forces to help Robert if it came to war.

Viserys for all the abuse was still her brother. He raised her for most of her life and was the only family she had. Technically he was also her king. That's enough reason to at least try.

Viserys was very drunk and making stupid threats. If Dany had acted in self defense then I would support her, but she wasn't. Viserys was no threat to her family. She had an entire Khalasar of 100k people to defend her and could have sent him away.

I am not a parent and if I was would be protective over my kids. In Dany's situation I may have lost my self control, but that does not mean I think it was right. There's a difference between protecting your children killing a helpless, pathetic person who once made a threat against them.

well if you think you would fight to save the life of a man that had continually abused you and disrespected you your entire life, then actively threatens your unborn child by physically pulling a sword, you are a much more forgiving person than I am. I find no fault with her actions because if my child's life were danger (if he tried once, he'd most likely try again, only when they're alone with no one to save her) I would want that person dead. Whether they're the last remaining member of my family and had 'raised' me or not. You threaten my child's life, you die. No guilt, no remorse. I don't see how she had any more responsibility to try to save him after how he's treated her. And if you think sending him back to Pentos would be an option, your crazy. He could have stayed in Pentos to begin with but insisted on coming along because he wouldn't risk letting his army out of his site. Not to mention they had been riding through the Great Grass Sea for months at this point. How's he going to find his way back? Also all the other Khalasars on the plains would want him dead for desecrating their sacred temple. All of this still hinges on Dany convincing Drogo he deserves to live (which he doesn't) and getting him out of Vaes Dothrak, which after his disrespect of pulling a sword in a sacred temple would not be possible. The act of pulling that sword is what got him killed, not Dany in reality. Pulling a sword in that temple is an automatic death sentence that Dany and Drogo would be powerless to stop, even under the incredibly low probability they would want to.

Imagine pulling a weapon in the Vatican or in a mosque during the 1500s, you would not live. It's blasphemy, sacrilegious, so unbelievably disrespectful that the guards would have killed you.

I like to give Sansa's crappiness as a sister a pass because she is manipulated by everyone around her. I like to think it is weakness and not thinking for herself over intent. Even that said -she can't be the worst.

Euron did sleep with Vicky's wife, but it may have been her fault, or a mutual fling. Not sure of the circumstance. He did let Victarion continue to lead the fleet. He is crappy, but maybe not the worst.

At least Tyrion tried, but Cersei couldn't allow it. She is towards the top of the list when it comes to Tyrion. She did show Jaime some love though.... Then again she offers a lordship for Tyrion's capture or death.

Ramsay and Gregor have to be at the top the list. Killing your half brother or shoving their face in burning coals is as bad as it gets.

It was actually in no particular order, so I never meant Euron is the worst... I would put him on the same level as Lysa or the Baratheon brothers.

As for Sansa, she is the bottom of the list, obviously, and I know it was all because she was a silly girl, who let herself get manipulated by people, but yeah, I have a sister too, a younger one and not even so dissimilar to Arya in personality, but I would never ever treat her like, so I just can't help but stick with the opinion that Sansa is kinda crappy sister to Arya during GoT.

Obviously Gregor and Ramsay are the worst.

I adore my little brother and he's easily my best friend but when I was ten, I let a strange lady walk away with him because..I think he was annoying me? (She turned out to be a family friend I didn't recognise thankfully)

Sansa has covered for Arya more than once in the first book-she hardly deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Lysa A. or Stannis B.

As for Stannis: he had a whole year after Jon A.'s death to do something about the Lannisters-a year he spent vegetating on Dragonstone doing nothing. There is no mention of him trying to think of a way to tell Robert or warn Ned or even confide in Renly. The latter is especially strange when you consider that Renly was trying to remove Cersei anyway.

And the Worst Sibling Award goes to... Gregor Clegane. Seriously. The guy held his little brother's face against a burning brazier during a squabble, which then caused said little brother to have a horrible disfigurement, coupled with the fact that his father then told everyone else that Sandor's bedding had caught fire. Furthermore, the only Clegane daughter also mysteriously died.

Viserys is a character that needs to be pitied more than anything. His parents died, and at a young age he assumed responsibility for his little sister as well as trying to survive long enough to take back the Seven Kingdoms which he had always been told was his inheritance. Add to that the fact that madness ran in the family, it only makes sense that he was as nasty as he was by aGoT.

So instead he flees KL leaving to save his own skin without so much as an anonymous note to warn his brother. Cowardly is as cowardly does.

So instead he flees KL leaving to save his own skin without so much as an anonymous note to warn his brother. Cowardly is as cowardly does.

How inclined to do you think Robert would be to listen to some anonymous gossip from someone he doesn't know?

How inclined to do you think Robert would be to listen to some anonymous gossip from someone he doesn't know?

My point which you seemd to have missed is that Stannis did not do his duty to his King. Failing so miserably that Stannis did not even try to warn his brother while still covering his cowardly ass.

Archived