Worst Sibling in ASOIAF

The Prince of Ice

If she could save a complete nobody in Mirri she could at least try for her own brother,Who for all the douchebaggery and Cruelty was still the guy who took care of her for nearly 10 years.

At that point she just wanted him out of the way.

At most she could have not laughed at the mention of his death in the next chapter.

Euron, Ramsay, Gregor, Cersei to Tyrion, Tyrion to Cersei, Viserys isn't the king of brothers either... Lysa is in top 10 too... Robert, Stannis, Renly...

And yeah, Sansa is a crappy sister too, but that's mostly her limitless stupidity in GoT... later she improves, only there are no siblings left to be a good sister to. But Sansa's crappiness is nowhere near the others mentioned above. Maybe Lysa and the Baratheon brothers are somewhere around her level too...

I like to give Sansa's crappiness as a sister a pass because she is manipulated by everyone around her. I like to think it is weakness and not thinking for herself over intent. Even that said -she can't be the worst.

Euron did sleep with Vicky's wife, but it may have been her fault, or a mutual fling. Not sure of the circumstance. He did let Victarion continue to lead the fleet. He is crappy, but maybe not the worst.

At least Tyrion tried, but Cersei couldn't allow it. She is towards the top of the list when it comes to Tyrion. She did show Jaime some love though.... Then again she offers a lordship for Tyrion's capture or death.

Ramsay and Gregor have to be at the top the list. Killing your half brother or shoving their face in burning coals is as bad as it gets.

Joffrey may have diddled his brother. It can't have been serious beating because dear old mommy or daddy would have noticed bruises and the like, soooo....

I can't speak for what he might or might not have done and, to be fair, Joffrey never tried to kill or harm Tommen and Myrcella.

Joffrey may have diddled his brother. It can't have been serious beating because dear old mommy or daddy would have noticed bruises and the like, soooo....

That would require Robert to care about his children and for Cersei to ever think negatively about Joffrey.

Through, we do know that Joff did kill Tommen's pet fawn once.

I can't speak for what he might or might not have done and, to be fair, Joffrey never tried to kill or harm Tommen and Myrcella.

During Tywin's funeral, Jaime and Tommen have a brief father-son moment. Jaime advises Tommen to hide somewhere inside whenever bad things happen and Tommen says that he used to did that whenever Joffrey.... but he never really got to finished the sentence because Cersei arrived. It is strongly implied though that Joffrey abused Tommen.

Stannis is the worst sibling. He knew the truth about Jaime's and Cersei's incest and kept silent knowing his brother's life was in danger. His inaction allowed Robert to be murdered and Westeros to be plunged into war. Coward? I say yes.

During Tywin's funeral, Jaime and Tommen have a brief father-son moment. Jaime advises Tommen to hide somewhere inside whenever bad things happen and Tommen says that he used to did that whenever Joffrey.... but he never really got to finished the sentence because Cersei arrived. It is strongly implied though that Joffrey abused Tommen.

What was really implied is that Tommen stood silent keeping his own Mad King's dirty secrets: it was a clever father-son moment because Jaime had to do the same thing as Tommen did with Joffrey when serving King Aerys.

No, we know. Pulling a weapon in a sacred temple is an automatic death sentence. He would die no matter what.

and even if you think she should have tried, why? What's her motivation to save the man that has emotionally and physically abused her for years, disrespected her at every turn, and has now threatened her life and the life of her unborn child? He went so far as to pull a weapon. There is no doubt in her mind that he means for them to die, yet you actually think she should have tried to save him? I don't know you, so I need to ask, are you a parent? Would you ever let harm come to your child? If you're not a parent, would your parents have let someone hurt you? I'm not a mom yet, but will be someday, and I would never let someone hurt my child, not even my sister. Growing up, there would be no stopping my parents if someone tried to hurt me or my sister.

She's moved out of the sister roll into the mom roll, and that is the difference. It's one thing to hurt her, it's different when it's her child. That is why she doesn't step in. She no longer feels empathy for him once he threatens her child. No mother worth a damn would.

Viserys for all the abuse was still her brother. He raised her for most of her life and was the only family she had. Technically he was also her king. That's enough reason to at least try.

Viserys was very drunk and making stupid threats. If Dany had acted in self defense then I would support her, but she wasn't. Viserys was no threat to her family. She had an entire Khalasar of 100k people to defend her and could have sent him away.

I am not a parent and if I was would be protective over my kids. In Dany's situation I may have lost my self control, but that does not mean I think it was right. There's a difference between protecting your children killing a helpless, pathetic person who once made a threat against them.

And, even if far down the list, I hold things against Asha (even if I am not a big fan of Theon) :angry:

Why? I've seen people bash Asha for her actions with Theon in ACOK but besides their first encounter being....odd (and hilarious) I don't see how she's a bad sibling. Just think of what Asha was thinking when she met Theon. Theon was already an arrogant prick that unwittingly insulted Asha to her face, it was made clear that he didn't take time to truly reacquaint himself with the Iron Islands. He insulted his uncles and his father and Theon just assumed that he could march back on shore and demand the respect that only seasoned captains earned. Theon HAD forgotten what the Iron Islands were like and his people's customs, and while it couldn't have been easy for him to return after a long time he was a self-entitled prick.

After that Asha simply tried to do what was best for Theon. She saw how indefensible Theon's position was and how stupid it was to "kill" Bran and Rickon was. Asha doesn't sugar coat things for Theon, she told him how he royally fucked up but she was never physically or psychologically abusive to warrant even a passing mention on this thread IMO (same with Sansa or Arya).

As for my list (in no particular order):

Gregor

Ramsay (murdering Domeric)

Euron

Viserys

Aerion Targ.

Tyrion and Cersei

Renly

The shadowbaby was fucked up but I still wouldn't put Stannis on this list.

Why? I've seen people bash Asha for her actions with Theon in ACOK but besides their first encounter being....odd (and hilarious) I don't see how she's a bad sibling. Just think of what Asha was thinking when she met Theon. Theon was already an arrogant prick that unwittingly insulted Asha to her face, it was made clear that he didn't take time to truly reacquaint himself with the Iron Islands. He insulted his uncles and his father and Theon just assumed that he could march back on shore and demand the respect that only seasoned captains earned. Theon HAD forgotten what the Iron Islands were like and his people's customs, and while it couldn't have been easy for him to return after a long time he was a self-entitled prick.

While, I don't think she is one of the worst(in how she hasn't tortured,mutilated, killed, or raped him) I do have to admit to being one of the few people that thought her first actions were kind of distasteful. Simply, at that time Theon had absolutely nothing to her when she decided to perform her little "test"/joke on him. Thus, I thought it was kind of unjustified and unnecessary mistreatment of his naivety.

Simply, she was aware that he had just returned home from a ten year exile for their father's crimes thus it would have been nice if instead of "testing" him that she actually acted like a normal sibling and welcomed back home. Especially, as she should be aware that their father had basically given up all hope on him and had respectively replaced him which has to hurt when you father cares that little about you.

Then if she wanted to know about what kind of person that he was she should have talked to more openly and see what he reveals to her. As I don't see how she expected to him be anything but cocky when talking to random peasant woman as the Ironborn culture seems based solely around being smug overly aggressive asses. Thus, it would be unheard of for the potential heir of the Islands to admit his fears and doubts to one of their subjects without fear of looking weak.

Additionally, who knows maybe Theon would have shared the his and Robb's plan with her and she, unlike Balon, could have seen the wisdom in that course. Thus, setting up a situation where Balon found himself pressured by both of his children to follow the path of assisting Robb in the pursuit of mutual independence rather then him demanding they go at it spitefully alone.

But yeah, that is just my humble opinion others might disagree and I rather not argue on this point. However, yeah Asha(and Theon) like Sansa and Dany don't belong on this list.

Stannis is the worst sibling. He knew the truth about Jaime's and Cersei's incest and kept silent knowing his brother's life was in danger. His inaction allowed Robert to be murdered and Westeros to be plunged into war. Coward? I say yes.

Oh, he is definitely not the worst. He knew the truth, yes, but he did not tell Robert because then Robert would not have believed him. He would have just blamed Stannis that he is lying in order to get the throne for himself. That is why Stannis did not want to tell Robert directly and talked to Jon Arryn instead and tried to prove to him about the incest. Jon Arryn then was close to proving it but unfortunately died. I think it's a little too harsh to blame Stannis for Robert's murder.

On topic, Gregor is absolutely number 1, without competition, followed by Ramsay and maybe Euron.

Oh, he is definitely not the worst. He knew the truth, yes, but he did not tell Robert because then Robert would not have believed him. He would have just blamed Stannis that he is lying in order to get the throne for himself. That is why Stannis did not want to tell Robert directly and talked to Jon Arryn instead and tried to prove to him about the incest. Jon Arryn then was close to proving it but unfortunately died. I think it's a little too harsh to blame Stannis for Robert's murder.

Could have at least returned to King's Landing and helped Ned discover the truth, along with bringing enough guards from Dragonstone that those along with Ned's could easily overcome that of the Lannister guards without help from the Goldcloaks.

I think there's some confusion between "awful person" and "awful sibling". The Baratheon brothers are not awful people in general but they are awful siblings.

Tywin is an awful person but a good sibling. Similarly, while Cersei is an awful person, she is a better sibling than Gregor or Aerys II and ranks closer to Stannis.

What was really implied is that Tommen stood silent keeping his own Mad King's dirty secrets: it was a clever father-son moment because Jaime had to do the same thing as Tommen did with Joffrey when serving King Aerys.

I thought Joffrey being Joffrey implied that he abused Tommen?

The exact quote is

“The world is full of horrors, Tommen. You can fight them, or laugh at them, or look without seeing... go away inside.”

Tommen considered that. “I... I used to go away inside sometimes,” he confessed, “when Joffy...”

Joffrey enjoyed abusing people who were physically weaker than him or people that could not protect themselves.

He abused Sansa, because he knew that no one in KL cared for the traitor's daughter.

He was also abusing Robert Arryn,

“I knew that boy Joffrey. He used to call my Robert cruel names, and once he slapped him with a wooden sword.

I don't think that it would be out of character for Joffrey to abuse Tommen. I think it was something more than simply Tommen witnessing Joffrey acting as a cruel and insensitive King. Besides we see Joffrey's cruel decisions from Sansa's and Tyrion's POV. Tommen is seldom present. In the past Joffrey had killed Tommen's fawn. Not to mention that Joffrey killed a pregnant cat just to see the kittens. Also his parents and uncles, apart from Tyrion, never really bothered to discipline him. Tommen, just like Sansa and Robert Arryn, was an easy target for Joffrey.

He was also abusing Robert Arryn,

Man, now I feel even more bad for Robin. Additionally, sad as it is might have best that Stannis didn't bring Shireen to the capital with him to hang out with that jerk.

Sorry that is off topic, but was my immediate reaction to that quote.

Viserys for all the abuse was still her brother. He raised her for most of her life and was the only family she had. Technically he was also her king. That's enough reason to at least try.

Viserys was very drunk and making stupid threats. If Dany had acted in self defense then I would support her, but she wasn't. Viserys was no threat to her family. She had an entire Khalasar of 100k people to defend her and could have sent him away.

I am not a parent and if I was would be protective over my kids. In Dany's situation I may have lost my self control, but that does not mean I think it was right. There's a difference between protecting your children killing a helpless, pathetic person who once made a threat against them.

I wonder what gives you the idea that the khalasar would listen to Dany's wishes. The khal topped her and the khal wanted Viserys roasted. On the contrary, some of Drogo's men openly protested against her orders before. I imagine that her convincing their khal that Viserys should be forgiven for breaking their sacred laws would go particularly well with them.

There is common blood and then there is common sense.

Archived