How did you come to read ASOIAF?

Spragues

My brother had read the first 4 books and was working through the 5th when the show started. I didn't pay it much attention and didn't watch it during the first airing, but then he convinced me to watch. I finished all 10 in probably 3 days and told him I must read. Fortunately it was near my birthday and I got the box set. I blitzed through them and not only caught up to my bro, but I actually finished 5 before he did. :) Addicted forever!

Author Joe Abercrombie wrote a review of "A Game of Thrones" in SFX for it's book club feature back in 2008. SFX (a UK based sci-fi and fantasy mag) had been going on about how wonderful the series was for some time but this review caught my eye with some of the witty comments by Abercrombie and other readers on the mag's forum. One reader admitted... "Like Tolkien (dangerous words to start off on)" as if to say this sounds like heresy but i feel these books are so good it justifies the accolade. I was wary because Lord Of The Rings is still my most beloved book ever (you might have spotted that from the handle....), but i have to agree. Another reader said "Wolves, kids, incest, politics, secrets, midgets (....) dragon mother, bastard child. ....oh, did he just die?" Well, i gave it a go, and was hooked, pretty much as soon as Ser Ilyn lopped poor old Ned's head off. I though "bloody hell, i thought he was the hero!?! What the crispy crap is going on here?" and i fell madly in love with Tyrion and just had to keep reading.

I got a bit difficult because i couldn't find a copy of the second part of Storm of Swords for ages and ages and thus skipped ahead to Feast and wondered where everybody had gone... But once i'd gotten the full set of books, i got my mum hooked on them too. Now i'm wondering about introducing my grandma...

I actually read the Hedge Knight in the early 2000s because I got the Legends anthology from a book of the month club (I used to prefer cheap hard backs on my shelves--now, I prefer my Kindle!). I actually thought it was, on the surface, a response to the movie A Knight's Tale, complicating the whole idea of Hollywood's Cinderella knight story. *cringe* Then, I noticed it was actually published first, and I thought A Knight's Tale probably was an attempt to make money off the idea of a commoner becoming a knight, made popular by that novella writer (whoever he was?!). Then, when AFfC was coming out, I decided to read the books (someone I knew - but really disliked - went on and on about how, finally, AFfC was published, and I was all like "it can't be that great. That guy has no taste anyway, but I'm looking for a new doorstop series"). I realized that the Hedge Knight was connected to this series by the mention of the Targs ("I've read about this before? No, it was a bit different. What was that?" :dunno:). D'oh!

I watched the first and second season of the show as they aired. After the second season I just needed more and found out the series was based on books. Was surprised I hadn't picked up on that earlier since I'm huge fantasy reader :dunno: .

Anyway I started the series right after the second season ended and read all five. I'm dying for more now, I would not have been able to stand the wait between feast and dance!

I honestly can't remember how I came to the books; it was wayyyy back when, either before the release of ACOK or slightly after. I have a distinct memory of picking one of the books off the shelf at the library (either AGOT or ACOK, I think it was AGOT), but I can't remember who recommended the books to me or why I chose them. Maybe I just picked the book randomly because I liked the cover? I spent a lot of time in the science fiction and fantasy section of the library at that age, so it's possible I was just working my way through the books and came across that one. This would have been in 1997 (if the book I picked was AGOT) or 1998 or 1999 (if the book was ACOK). I read AGOT and ACOK and then sort of forgot about the series for several years, and I heard about plot points in ASOS and AFFC that left me very confused (I remember being very surprised that Sansa had married Tyrion). When the series started airing I went back and reread all the books, and then ADWD when it came out.

Given that I read AGOT and ACOK when the books originally came out, I think I can legitimately say that I liked ASOIAF before it was cool. (I was shocked when I heard years later that they were adapting the books for TV, though, since I thought the books were unfilmable. I'm still iffy on whether AFFC and ADWD are filmable. We shall see.)

A random Facebook post on my News Feed featuring Dany and Sean Bean made me decide to watch Game of Thrones while season 2 was in the middle of airing. I watched season 1 and season 2 until the end, ranted to my uncle about it, he told me I should have read A Song of Ice and Fire years ago when he told me to, and then he surprised me with the entire set on the kitchen table one day. Then I read them.

A random Facebook post on my News Feed featuring Dany and Sean Bean made me decide to watch Game of Thrones while season 2 was in the middle of airing. I watched season 1 and season 2 until the end, ranted to my uncle about it, he told me I should have read A Song of Ice and Fire years ago when he told me to, and then he surprised me with the entire set on the kitchen table one day. Then I read them.

5th coolest uncle, ever!

My good friend at school and my dad were both reading it at the same time, raving about how good it was. This was in 2011 when season 1 was airing so I quickly read book 1 before watching the show, then sped through books 2&3 and then sort of drifted, taking a year to read 4&5, before I found these forums and became completely and utterly obsessed with both the books and show and reread the series in four weeks.

I was looking for a new fantasy series, and figured this one must have something going for it since it had just got a TV show green lit. I'd heard good things about it too.

The timing was pretty good. Dance was released mere weeks after I'd finished Feast.

Archived