How did you come to read ASOIAF?

Spragues

I am new to these forums, joined a couple weeks ago, so I was wondering how my fellow posters came to read these wonderful books. I received A Game of Thrones for Christmas back in '99 and have been a fan of the series ever since.

On a personal note; I thought I knew something about this series until I came here. Now I realize.... I know nothing. I have learned more than I ever knew in the last couple of weeks and I am grateful for it.

Inevitable, I suppose..... Sigh.

For some, it's not so inevitable. And for some, it elicits a good deal more than a sigh. ;)

Myself, I grabbed Game of Thrones as a wee lad wandering the aisles of the neighborhood Barnes and Noble. The cover drew me in and the text made me a man. I lent that book to a friend and never saw it (or her) again. Sometimes I wonder if they're still together.

A co-worker told me about the show. I watched the whole first season in about three days, that includes watching most episodes twice when I got my dad to start watching it, I got aGoT shortly after. I think I made it to aSoS before finding this website to have people to talk to about it, since most of my friends hasn't heard of the show, I lurked for a week before joining.

Through Dragon Age, the writer behind that strongly endorsed GRR Martin and I thought there must be something in it and bought GoT... Read the series straight through after that.

I picked them up as a random buy. I had read RJ way more than called for. I had a friend who mentioned them and that applied with the RJ comment's triggered something when I saw them. Turned out to be one of the best random buys I ever made.

I had a first impression back in 2003, later a friend of mine (we both play role-playing games together) introduced me to the show and then I watched the first season when it was aired.

Afterwards, I bought the books and read them in about a month and have been hooked ever since.

Before christmas I'd heard tons about the show and had been meaning to read the books before starting the show because I'd then heard a lot of great things about the book series. By chance my sister returned from uni around christmas with the first book. Said she couldn't get into it so gave it to me. Destroyed the Game of Thrones book and then went and bought the whole set of books.

But even though I read the books first, I probably wouldn't have ever read them if not for the fact the tv show was made and the hype around it grabbed my attention.

Archived