why the HBO show 'MIGHT' have f****d up

TORMUNDSMEMBER10

The show isn't even finished with ASoS, and yet many readers like to use their knowledge of the five released books to make a final judgement on how his character has been adapted and portrayed. I still remember a number of posters saying that they were going to bungle Jaime's redemption after he killed Alton Lannister in season two, and look at how that turned out... Give it time. We all know that this fourth season will be the biggest yet for Stannis, so it would make sense for the writers to hold back on clearly defining which part of Stannis' nature will win the day in the end (at least for a little while).

This. So much of this.

Personally, I considered Stannis about as interesting as a door mat until he arrived at the Wall. If they screw up his awesomeness at the Wall, THEN we can talk about how they butchered Stannis.

Neither Stannis, nor Petyr, nor Doran, nor Joffrey nor Ramsey nor Hizdahr are among the series' 10 main characters (let's pick that number), nor are they among the 3 main characters in any of the books.

I never said that every POV character is a main character, but those with 15+ POV chapters happen to be; and when the POV chapters are telling someone's story, they are the main character. Areo Hoteh's chapters are telling the story of other Dornish characters (but it's still not big enough for Doran or Arianne to be among the top 3 main characters in AFFC or ADWD). But Ned's chapters in AGOT do not tell Robert's story, but Ned's. Sansa's chapters do not tell Joffrey''s story or LF's story, they tell Sansa's story. Theon's chapters do not tell Ramsey's story, but Theon's story.

Stannis is the 13th most mentioned character in the series.

Joffrey is 14th most mentioned character in the series.

Brienne who is a PoV is 17th most mentioned character in the series. So are you going to have her in top 10?

So lets see why you think Stannis is not among the series top 10 characters?

Stannis is as of the end the ADwD is in the top 10 characters of the series, since Ned, Catelyn and Robb Stark who have more mentions to him are dead/undead.

Heck Davos who is also a PoV is 19th most mentioned character.

Stannis is easily in the top ten character's of the series, whether you like him or not.

Stannis is the 13th most mentioned character in the series.

Joffrey is 14th most mentioned character in the series.

Brienne who is a PoV is 17th most mentioned character in the series. So are you going to have her in top 10?

So lets see why you think Stannis is not among the series top 10 characters?

Stannis is as of the end the ADwD is in the top 10 characters of the series, since Ned, Catelyn and Robb Stark who have more mentions to him are dead/undead.

Heck Davos who is also a PoV is 19th most mentioned character.

Stannis is easily in the top ten character's of the series, whether you like him or not.

No, I don't think Stannis is one of the series' 10 main characters. Who's dead and who isn't dead makes no difference. Ned has been dead since book 1, but he was the #1 main character of that book, without a doubt. (If I were to pick just10 main characters, I would go with Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Arya, Sansa, Bran, Catelyn, Ned, Jaime and Cersei.) But, if that makes you feel better, I do think he's in top 15 (and probably top 13) main characters.

Anyway, Stannis is definitely not one of the three main characters of A Dance with Dragons, which is what it was originally about. If you said "five main characters", then OK, yes, but three, no.

No, I don't think Stannis is one of the series' 10 main characters. Who's dead and who isn't dead makes no difference. Ned has been dead since book 1, but he was the #1 main character of that book, without a doubt. (If I were to pick just10 main characters, I would go with Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Arya, Sansa, Bran, Catelyn, Ned, Jaime and Cersei.) But, if that makes you feel better, I do think he's in top 15 (and probably top 13) main characters.

Anyway, Stannis is definitely not one of the three main characters of A Dance with Dragons, which is what it was originally about. If you said "five main characters", then OK, yes, but three, no.

Stannis has featured only in three books. He has done a pretty good job of making the 13th most mentioned character and he is not even a PoV.

Stannis was on the cover of the second book. He was easily in the top three in ACoK. He is arguably in the top 10 main character, but if you think he is not then i can't change that.

Stannis has featured only in three books. He has done a pretty good job of making the 13th most mentioned character and he is not even a PoV.

Stannis was on the cover of the second book. He was easily in the top three in ACoK. He is arguably in the top 10 main character, but if you think he is not then i can't change that.

Stannis is in the top three in ACoK? And who is TOP2, I'd like to hear, among Tyrion, Catelyn, Arya, Sansa, Theon, Dany, Jon, Bran, and Davos? Next I'll hear Sauron is one of the main characters of LoTR.

Stannis is in the top three in ACoK? And who is TOP2, I'd like to hear, among Tyrion, Catelyn, Arya, Sansa, Theon, Dany, Jon, Bran, and Davos? Next I'll hear Sauron is one of the main characters of LoTR.

Then why is he on the cover? If George didn't deem him important enough then he shouldn't be on the cover.

You think you are being smart but you are only coming of as a condescending and arrogant person.

At the risk of earning the ire of the foaming at the mouth Stannisers, I'd say the most important character in the Stannis arc who will effect the future of the books most is Melisandre. Stannis and Davos are lovely complex characters but Melisandre's going to get up to some more-important shit. I'd bet on that.

At the risk of earning the ire of the foaming at the mouth Stannisers, I'd say the most important character in the Stannis arc who will effect the future of the books most is Melisandre. Stannis and Davos are lovely complex characters but Melisandre's going to get up to some more-important shit. I'd bet on that.

Oh come on man Davos from Skagos is Stannis's main man, Mel would be more important for Jon i think.

I guess it must be a special edition for anti-stans.

And I thought it was the same picture in the same article you linked to...

It's not really such a strong argument as you believe. After all, Edmure Tully and Blackfish are on the cover of ASOS, which depicts the funeral of Hoster Tully.

BTW I hate these covers with people on them (the Serbian editions use these covers this), I'm glad I own those editions with objects like a sword, a crown, a chalice etc. on the cover, they are much more beautiful.

BTW I hate these covers with people on them (the Serbian editions use these covers this), I'm glad I own those editions with objects like a sword, a crown, a chalice etc. on the cover, they are much more beautiful.

I'm also not a fan of ASoIaF cover art with people, but the other covers are too abstract for my taste; they remind me of those bland and inoffensive Euro banknotes. Brazilian edition of AGoT is pretty nice - http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/grrm/7059164/88170/88170_640.jpg

It has an old school vibe that favours atmosphere, mood, and sense of place over action or depicting specific scenes.

And I thought it was the same picture in the same article you linked to...

It's not really such a strong argument as you believe. After all, Edmure Tully and Blackfish are on the cover of ASOS, which depicts the funeral of Hoster Tully.

Well if you don't believe it's a strong argument then i can't change that. It is your opinion afterall.

ASoS had Robb and Catelyn on cover, you can also look at it that way.

Archived