Jaime, Rhaegar, and their connection

Nephenee

I am pretty sure it is up to Robert what Arya's punishment should have been not Cersei and Jaime.

Nah, I would rate Tyrion as being a better person then Jaime as Tyrion holds some sense of loyalty while Jaime doesn't.

Robert was a weak king and a weak person, to be fair. He didn't defend his friend, or even his 'son'. He just walked off. I also believe Jaime thinking back at that, was him reflecting on what he would have done for Cersei and as I've said, that isn't right either. It is bad to maim or kill a child; but in terms of law, something should have happened for the 'crime'.

Tyrion is not a better person, at all. Loyalty to who, himself?

I also look forward to Stannis executing Jaime, to be fair, for his crimes are horrible. But it doesn't make him a scumbag 100%

I've always had a nagging feeling that it is Cersei that is Rheagar's half sister. Jaime is all Lannister. Besides I think there is a significant age difference between Rheagar and Jaime.

Personality aside, GRRM does give us some gossip (whether there is truth in it or not) that Aerys was very fond of Joanna Lannister and that he may have raped her. I could see Joanna not telling Tywin because Tywin would have started a war with Aerys over it - it was smarter to just leave KL and stay at CR.

Jaime's personality seems to reflect his mother and Tywin's brothers as his aunt hints towards. Jaime's problem is that he makes rash decisions that have ultimately caused him dishonor and hatred.

Not at all. Sorry for that misunderstanding, I thought the quote following my statement made it clear what I referred to. For the record:

I do not think you're a troll at all, nor did I want to imply otherwise.

Ah, thanks! :) My bad for misreading it, heheh. To the OP, no, I don't believe they were switched. Jaime shows Lannister traits, some of the good ones and even some of the bad.

At the beginning of the series, I think he is pure Lannister, described as lazy, overconfident, almost cruel (Bran, Ned's men). After he has his time with Brienne, I would say he gains a conscience and realizes how little he has actually accomplished in his life. Everything has always been handed to him on a silver platter. And someone did mention to me that after his return to KL, he starts growing a beard (though I haven't found any textual proof yet). Perhaps to differentiate himself from Cersei (i.e. he's not just a 'twin' anymore)

On a personal note, I absolutely hated Jaime at the beginning of the series. Then we got his POV chapters and I thought he wasn't so bad. I guess that's a testament to GRRM's writing :)

Even in Westeros Genetics do not define a person. They probably influence a person, such as Lannisters being generally cunning, smooth, etc. (After all they descend from Lann the Clever). Most of a person's personality derive from education, role models and other circumstances. Tytos, Tywin's father, was considered to be a kind man who gave money to people who were sure not to repay him. Sounds like quite the opposite of being greedy. Maybe he too was not a Lannister. Kevan, Tywin's brother, has also never been reported to be greedy. Also not a Lannister?

To the switching theory:

Also there is no way in this medieval time to permanently change a person's hair colour. At some point (especially when Jaime was captured by Robb) somebody would have noticed that his hair is more silver than golden. I bet some Northmen would be surprised. Not even discussing the difficulty of changing eye colours... Also most likely, Joanna would have noticed her firstborn son being replaced with another boy. And lastly, as it was said above, Rhaegar ist much older than Jaime. Therefore I do not think this theory should be taken seriously.

It's true that Jaime is different from some of the other Lannisters, but his aunt Genna said he was more like Tywin's brothers. Jaime does have other Lannister traits: courage, arrogance, physical beauty, romantic nature(Jaime, Tywin, and even Tyrion seem to be romantic about their lady loves) He did have the golden armour that was considered pretty fancy. Also, the timeline for switched babies doesn't work because Jaime and Cersei are 8-10 years younger than Rhaegar.

Switched babies?????????

Now you can start piling up the "switched baby" theories right next to the "Secret Targ" theories.

For the record:

Mance's and Gilly's babies have been switched. It is known.

Aegon and a random from Flea Bottom may have been switched - it is suspected.

Jon Snow?

We also have some adult switching that may/may not have happened:

Mance and Rattleshirt were glamored to switch (I have no idea how to properly say that). It is known.

Ashara Dayne might be posing as a Septa now.

Tyrions first wife might be posing as a whore in Braavos now.

etc.

But it just isn't possible that Jaime and Rheagar were switched. Ages don't match, and it would be impossible to actually keep up the physical charade over decades and wars, and deaths and shifting alliances. And what would be the point?

Jaime is a fascinating character, and completely morally ambiguous, precisely because he is a Lannister. He is driven by his identity as a Lannister, but also tortured by it. He cherishes the fact that he is closer than any other person to the love of his life, Cersei, but also cursed by the fact that he cant actually be with her. Same with his children.

No I don't think the babies were switched, but I am leaning towards Tywin and Joanna both being descendants of Aerion Brightflame. The prophecy did mention that there would be dragons both bright and dark.

There is definitely more to explore with this theory than anything involving Jaime being Rheagar. And yes, I think exploring Jaime and Rheagar's relationship has a lot to offer. A lot of what is shaping the events of Westeros today derives from the relationship between Tywin and Aerys II. It is natural that their sons have a unique perspective to what motivated their fathers rivalry.

Someone has a serious crush on Jaime if they say he's not evil or morally ambiguous but only good.

The Arya thing, well, in terms of law she should have been executed. But that is for another thread completely. :cool4:

The punishment for striking a royal was never death. We know this from D&E.

Jaime is such a cunt

I agree.

Archived