Did Davos actually drown after the Battle of the Blackwater?

Lost Melnibonean

• 4 months later...

In my mind it is fairly certain that Davos received aid and/or was brought back to life...

i mean we seem him self professed as drowning... Then alive on the shore... And it's pretty clear there is some power under the sea, given patchface's experience and mythology surrounding the drowned God and sisterton and such.

especially with the sacrifice of his "luck" aka fingerbones, not to mention all the death about (including his sons)...

why save Davos? is a great question... As it might tell us something about the power behind his survival...

Compare this...

Something touched his leg … a snag or a fish or a drowning man, he could not tell.
Davos I, Storm 5

To this...

A fish flashed past his face, long and white and slender. What’s that? he wondered. What’s that? What’s that?"
The Sworn Sword

This is interesting, and certainly possible based on your analysis. I was surprised when he was found alive. I must say kudos as it is really hard to find a new theory that has support

On 8/1/2013 at 0:43 PM, Groat said:

You mock, but are mermaids really so hard do comprehend with dragons, direwolves, Weirwoods, and magic?

Also, everyone seems to be forgetting, there was a giant boom on the Blackwater, how did Davos get out of the bay? He just magically washed up over it? Or he was unconscious for days in the bay, and only when the boom was lowered did he float to the Mireling Spears or whatever those islands were called?

Just to be clear on my actualy opinion. All religions seem to derive from magic in some way, with the exception of the 7, who have no real magical affects. I don't believe there is an actual Drowned God, but I do believe his religion is based off of some form of magic. This is expressed with Aeron, who we learn never loses a victim when he drowns them. It's common for a priest to lose someone every now and then, but the Damphair always brings them back. Also, we have several examples of unexplainable survivals from wrecked ships, most notably Aeron, Patchface, and Davos. I don't think it's that hard to believe there is something magical going on there.

You do realize that the "boom" was a chain that crossed over top of the water and didn't allow ships to pass, but a person could easily swim under it, right?

Archived