Did Davos actually drown after the Battle of the Blackwater?

Lost Melnibonean

No, he survived. It's just that he got knocked unconscious for a while.

You cannot hold your breath whilst unconscious, unless he washed up pretty much immediately after loosing consciousness or managed to float around with his head above water, he should of been a goner.

I'm not saying he is UnDavos, because I dont think thats the case.

Should'nt have really happened like that though.

This leads to the larger question of whether the 7 are starting to assert themselves (or maybe have been working behind the scenes the whole time)

Davos asks the mother for help. Hears the mother. And says the mother burned the fleet then sent him a ship.

There seems to be a large group of 'the 7 are fake' supporters here but this at least could foreshadow a larger role by the 7 of working against the red god / for their own.

"the mother" never says that the seven had anything to do with burning the fleet:

Perhaps it was only wind blowing against the rock, or the sound of the sea on the shore, but for an instant Davos Seaworth heard her answer. “You called the fire,” she whispered, her voice as faint as the sound of waves in a seashell, sad and soft. “You burned us... burned us... burrrmed usssssss.”

Also, everyone seems to be forgetting, there was a giant boom on the Blackwater, how did Davos get out of the bay? He just magically washed up over it? Or he was unconscious for days in the bay, and only when the boom was lowered did he float to the Mireling Spears or whatever those islands were called?

Technically the island he was stranded on was still in the bay, but he did get past the chain. Presumably he went under it, not over it. Obviously it doesn't make sense for him to survive being unconscious for days in the water.

• 4 months later...

If anything "magical" had happened to Davos, wouldn't Melisandre have picked up on it?

She tells Jon Snow she can do a lot with only a man's finger bones.

I understand she has indeed picked up Davos's finger bones, "his luck" as he still calls them.

It may have been a slip of the tongue, it may be meant figuratively, but I don't think so.

Davos is just one of many characters who have been drowned and revived.

This has been the case for any godly man of Pike and I think you can assume that all Greyjoy POVs were drowned.

And the same has happened to a number of other characters as well--including Davos.

Dunk was drowned and revived in the Sworn Sword.

Sam was drowned and revived in Braavos.

Tyrion was drowned and revived in the Rhoyne..

And Patchface in Shipbreaker Bay.

And I think there may be others as well (perhaps Septon Chayle or Benfred Tallhart or Talbert Serry or __________).

But do they rise stronger and harder? Time will tell. There could be no magic involved. It could just be that when your lungs fill with water you black out and when you get the water out and air in you breath again. This could happen with help or by being washed up on the shore. Still, it is interesting to think about these characters pre and post drowning.

Also, everyone seems to be forgetting, there was a giant boom on the Blackwater, how did Davos get out of the bay? He just magically washed up over it? Or he was unconscious for days in the bay, and only when the boom was lowered did he float to the Mireling Spears or whatever those islands were called?

He swam underneath it didn’t he. Once he gets under the chain, he’s disoriented and starts drowning. At least that’s how I remember it.

I don't like the idea of a bunch of different gods having powers that will greatly affect the outcome of the story. I've always thought there was magic in their world and people/groups that know how to wield it, but that gods aren't behind it.

Perhaps when Davos washed up on the rocky island, he hit the rocks so hard it expelled the water from his lungs.

There are representatives of every major religion.

Mel, Thoros, Moqorro, Beric and LS are representing The Lord of Light.

We have Bran, Bloodraven, Jojen and the CotF for the Old Gods.

Aeron and perhaps Patchface are for the Drowned God.

We even have three Valyrian Gods; Dany's dragons.(Targaryen Dragons were named after Valyrian Gods)

We have Faceless men for the God of Mant Faces.

Why should the Seven lack a representative?

I just don't think so. Even if he died and was resurrected it doesn't add anything to the story.

In a literary sense, it does.

Davos bears many characteristics of the heroic archetype, those being the humble birth, the near death and resurrection, unhealable wound to the hand (stigmata), entering the Belly of the Whale, and meeting with the goddess (confrontation with Mel).

@Dragonroast: All of those characters were resuscitated. Who resuscitated Davos?

I don't know. It is possible that waves tossing on the shore/rocks could have force the water out and air in. Or there could be something more to story. And it is unclear if anybody revived the Damphair or Patchface when they came out of the sea as well.

• 4 weeks later...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/79948-mermaids-in-asoiaf/

I definitely think the dead things in the water might be more than what we're thinking...mermaid Others!?! Others connected to Mermaids?! who knows, but I'm pretty sure they exist in that universe.

This is a common theory that I've heard that the others are under the water and will come out of the water at some point. Its linked to the theory that patchface will lead people into the water to die and becomes wrights and will perhaps be a commander of the others army. I could see this happen.

Whatever happens I think there will be a great war between (wrights and white walkers) and humans which means the others have to get south of the wall so either the wall falls or they go around it like through the sea. It also could be that white walkers have been sleeping in the deep seas because we know north of the wall they slept under the ice for hundreds of years.

This leads to the larger question of whether the 7 are starting to assert themselves (or maybe have been working behind the scenes the whole time)

Davos asks the mother for help. Hears the mother. And says the mother burned the fleet then sent him a ship.

There seems to be a large group of 'the 7 are fake' supporters here but this at least could foreshadow a larger role by the 7 of working against the red god / for their own.

In Game of Thrones they use seven aspects to represent one god.

He is azor ahai, reborn amidst salt(the sea) , and smoke (the blackwater being wildfired)

While Davos was reborn in salt smoke he isn't Azor Ahai. I like him and would have no problem with him being Azor but he won't be. I seriously doubt it will be stannis. Would it is depends on whether the three prochephies are one or all seperate. There is Azor Ahai, the prince that was promised and the three headed dragon. The two most hinted characters are Dany and Jon snow so if these are all different then a bunch of people could be important but if all three point to only one person it hard to predict who it will be.

• 1 month later...

I was searching for a thread on this, because right before Davos begins to take in water this line appears:

"Something touched his leg...a snag or a fish or a drowning man, he could not tell."

It's not enough to go on by itself, but it seems odd to mention something is 'with' Davos right before this all starts happening.

Also, if he's unconscious, the rock he washes up on is a good ways out into the bay, presumably far enough away that the shoreline is no longer in sight. It's just hard to believe that he could have been unconscious and been swept that far out and lived without some kind of assistance.

Also in this chapter are a few blatant salt and smoke references.

And finally this is the chapter in which we first learn the fingerbones are missing. 4 of them actually, just like the 4 sons Ser Davos knows have perished at this time.

I was searching for a thread on this, because right before Davos begins to take in water this line appears:

"Something touched his leg...a snag or a fish or a drowning man, he could not tell."

It's not enough to go on by itself, but it seems odd to mention something is 'with' Davos right before this all starts happening.

Also, if he's unconscious, the rock he washes up on is a good ways out into the bay, presumably far enough away that the shoreline is no longer in sight. It's just hard to believe that he could have been unconscious and been swept that far out and lived without some kind of assistance.

Also in this chapter are a few blatant salt and smoke references.

And finally this is the chapter in which we first learn the fingerbones are missing. 4 of them actually, just like the 4 sons Ser Davos knows have perished at this time.

You've come to the right place. Now if we could solve this mystery...

Archived