So You're In Love With A Controversial Character...

Winter's Knight

Viserys is a character I love just because he's a Targaryen and I love the Targaryens and also cause I can sympathize with him more than any character besides Catelyn.

And I don't really blame Viserys for how he turned out, I think the world namely external forces caused him to be who we see in AGOT

I think that's certainly a part of it, but I also believe that as readers we need to remember that the characters certainly have some level of agency in how the respond to their circumstances and consequently some agency in how they are shaped by them. Let's take Dany for an example - she went through much of the same childhood as Viserys, yet instead of growing bitter, she responded by growing strong and (early in her arc) flexible/adaptable to Dothraki culture. Sansa similarly experiences the ruination of her house in addition to very public humiliation and abuse, but she still retains her ability to empathize and care about other people.

I'm not saying it's wrong to feel compassion or pity for Viserys, but I do think it's flawed to excuse him completely on the basis of "circumstances." (Ditto any characters - i.e. I don't excuse Cersei's behavior on the grounds of her abuse in the hands of Robert)

ETA: I think my contributions are so much more meaningful when I've had sleep =D Otherwise I usually just sound like an inane stream of consciousness mess

I love Jaime and he's a controversial character. I don't have any tips, though. (Hi, WK! :wub:)

I also adore Cat, but why the fuck she is even a controversial character to begin with is beyond me. For some reason the woman gets an incredible amount of hate. But I guess she doesn't fit on your list of rapists, child defenestrators, etc. ;)

I think that's certainly a part of it, but I also believe that as readers we need to remember that the characters certainly have some level of agency in how the respond to their circumstances and consequently some agency in how they are shaped by them. Let's take Dany for an example - she went through much of the same childhood as Viserys, yet instead of growing bitter, she responded by growing strong and (early in her arc) flexible/adaptable to Dothraki culture. Sansa similarly experiences the ruination of her house in addition to very public humiliation and abuse, but she still retains her ability to empathize and care about other people.

I'm not saying it's wrong to feel compassion or pity for Viserys, but I do think it's flawed to excuse him completely on the basis of "circumstances." (Ditto any characters - i.e. I don't excuse Cersei's behavior on the grounds of her abuse in the hands of Robert)

ETA: I think my contributions are so much more meaningful when I've had sleep =D Otherwise I usually just sound like an inane stream of consciousness mess

I agree and I certainly blame Viserys for his actions, I wasn't trying to give the impression that I wasn't. I just think that he had a weak mental state already and was prone to some mental illness but the stress, fear, fighting for his and his sister life at such a young age, and loneliness took a toil on him too early in life.

I also adore Cat, but why the fuck she is even a controversial character to begin with is beyond me. For some reason the woman gets an incredible amount of hate.

From what i can tell, Cat hate stems mostly from being mean to Jon once, and the whole Impnapping incident, which somehow means she started the War of the Five Kings.

I love Jaime and he's a controversial character. I don't have any tips, though. (Hi, WK! :wub:)

I also adore Cat, but why the fuck she is even a controversial character to begin with is beyond me. For some reason the woman gets an incredible amount of hate.

I feel you :(

I love Cat and Sansa and it always shocks me when I read comments like "I hate Sansa! She's as bad as Joffrey!" which make confused sad question marks pop up all over my head. And I can't believe people still believe Cat started the Wo5K.

I agree and I certainly blame Viserys for his actions, I wasn't trying to give the impression that I wasn't. I just think that he had a weak mental state already and was prone to some mental illness but the stress, fear, fighting for his and his sister life at such a young age, and loneliness took a toil on him too early in life.

I can certainly agree with you there :)

Tbh, I'm not sure how much better I would've done in his situation - it's very easy to judge as readers when we haven't lived a day of their lives.

I also like Rhaegar, and no one's going to stop me liking him as a character.

What character? :P

I kid~ I hope we learn more about him and that he surprises us with his depth and complexity.

I absolutely love Roose Bolton, I sometimes feel bad because he is absolutely horrid in so many ways, but you know what? I still think he's a fabulous, whispering, majestic bastard.

He's a cold psychopath with no empathy towards the women he has put in stocks to be raped. His fondness for a peaceful land and a quiet people is mostly selfish as he doesn't want any trouble, the desire doesn't stem from any well-wishing towards his people. I love him anyway.

I absolutely love Roose Bolton, I sometimes feel bad because he is absolutely horrid in so many ways, but you know what? I still think he's a fabulous, whispering, majestic bastard.

Now i'm imagining Roose Bolton strutting down a runway being fabulous. Thanks a lot Theda. :P

From what i can tell, Cat hate stems mostly from being mean to Jon once, and the whole Impnapping incident, which somehow means she started the War of the Five Kings.

Yeah, it is kind of astounding to me that people with crucify her character completely for what she said to Jon. As for starting the war... there are some other people who I'd rather point fingers at for that one.

I feel you :(

I love Cat and Sansa and it always shocks me when I read comments like "I hate Sansa! She's as bad as Joffrey!" which make confused sad question marks pop up all over my head. And I can't believe people still believe Cat started the Wo5K.

Cat and Sansa are two of my favorite characters. I was amazed to see how much hate they get when I started exploring the Internet world of ASOIAF, lol. I think one of the worst things to me, though, is when people outright dismiss their characters by saying Sansa is just a stupid, shallow teenage girl and that Cat is just a boring wife/horrible mother. Way to miss out on two of the best (imo) characters in the series. ;)

Daenerys

1) Only a girl who does not know the ways of War.

2) Her lover, Daario is the coolest and honorable(maybe only in the eyes of dany) man.

3) If she looks back, she is lost and it is known.

4) I agree with her calling Eddard, usurpur's dog, Ned stark was probably the dumbest guy and hardly honorable, he banged wyalla or ashara dayne whateever.

I love plenty of controversial characters, which is not much of an issue most of the time, because I'm hardly alone in my love. The most difficult thing to bear is the absolutistic black and white insanity those characters tend to ignite... But hey, more awesomeness for me.

However, one character I never quite dare to admire in these forums is Littlefinger. *peers around suspiciously* Now, I know he's horribly immoral human being who gets off causing damage and destruction and doesn't care much for anyone or anything, but... butbut! He makes the plot! Everything that happens in the books is thanks to LF! He's witty and unflappable and unwholesomely clever. People get loved for less! I blame the sheer amount of ambiguous characters in the book who get all the guilty love so there is nothing left for LF.

//Basing on the principle that only unforgivable thing a character can do is to be boring. :D

Archived