So You're In Love With A Controversial Character...

Winter's Knight

I sometimes irrationally envision the golden-maned, purple-eyed lions that Kevan thinks about at the end of ADwD and really really hate Aerys for ruining everyone. I'm not sure if Rhaegar would have made Cersei happier, but I like to imagine an alternate universe in which Elia had married the Hightower? knight and is watching her children grow tall around her, Rhaegar and Cersei have a content marriage that gentles the lioness, and Robert, Lyanna, and Ned settle down to a comfortable menage a trois ...

I actually wondered once whether Tyrion is in the core of ASOIAF. If he wasn't born and Joanna didn't die, Martells would marry Lannisters, Elia wouldn't marry Rhaegar and other bride would most likely give him three children...

I'm in love with Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen (titles, titles). She's a pretty controversial and polarizing character.

I love her too.

More controversial characters that I like are Jaime and Cersei:

1. Being Lannisters who hate the Starks don't make them bad persons like being Starks who hate the Lannisters don't make them good persons.

2. Yep fucking your twin is so wrong but if the gods made them Targaryens it would have been a little bit more okay.

3. They both killed the kings (Aerys and Robert) but one is mad and the other one is just bad.

Now I'm :leaving: .

I sometimes irrationally envision the golden-maned, purple-eyed lions that Kevan thinks about at the end of ADwD and really really hate Aerys for ruining everyone. I'm not sure if Rhaegar would have made Cersei happier, but I like to imagine an alternate universe in which Elia had married the Hightower? knight and is watching her children grow tall around her, Rhaegar and Cersei have a content marriage that gentles the lioness, and Robert, Lyanna, and Ned settle down to a comfortable menage a trois ...

If there had been a man worthy of Cersei, it would have been Rhaegar. But it wouldn't be an easy life for her. The stress from Jon Con's constant stalking would have destroyed her health, just as Elia's.

Right? And no one (I hope) says Roose was a good guy.

I'll be "that person."

In much the same way Dany struggles with "mother" and "dragon," poor Roo Roo is contending with his conflicting destinies of "human" and "Other." Just as "the dragon" is something that "heroes slay," Roose's icy nature is at odds with "the heroes," but the intrinsic morality of such natural forces are pure neutrals. Besides, I thought I'd conclusively shown that the "bad things' Roose does is only a product of the murderous leeches that have been warging him. I also posit Roose is probably a true artist in the field of leather couture.

Anyway, Roose Bolton: good for the Others, enemy of man, the Alexander McQueen of Westeros.

I actually wondered once whether Tyrion is in the core of ASOIAF. If he wasn't born and Joanna didn't die, Martells would marry Lannisters, Elia wouldn't marry Rhaegar and other bride would most likely give him three children...

Hm~ That's also a thought. OberynxCersei - that could either have gone very well, or ended very very badly.

If there had been a man worthy of Cersei, it would have been Rhaegar. But it wouldn't be an easy life for her. The stress from Jon Con's constant stalking would have destroyed her health, just as Elia's.

LOL poor Jon Con :crying: He just watched too many kdramas

I'll be "that person."

In much the same way Dany struggles with "mother" and "dragon," poor Roo Roo is contending with his conflicting destinies of "human" and "Other." Just as "the dragon" is something that "heroes slay," Roose's icy nature is at odds with "the heroes," but the intrinsic morality of such natural forces are pure neutrals. Besides, I thought I'd conclusively shown that the "bad things' Roose does is only a product of the murderous leeches that have been warging him. I also posit Roose is probably a true artist in the field of leather couture.

Anyway, Roose Bolton: good for the Others, enemy of man, the Alexander McQueen of Westeros.

*Slow clap* Bravo Butterbumps, bravo. :bowdown:

Yeah, Theon Greyjoy qu'est ce c'est? :lol:.

Runrunrunrun, run run run awaaaaaay!!!!! :P

I also posit Roose is probably a true artist in the field of leather couture.

Oh my god...this is signature worthy...

Erm, not much to add to this excellent thread, I just want to congratulate WK for the great OP. And add that I like almost all the characters, which, yes, includes some polarising ones: Jaime, Cersei, Theon, Littlefinger, Dany etc. I must also say I will never understand why Sansa and Cat are so controversial around here, well, I love them both.

Do not minimise the crimes by assigning blame to the victim or arguing cultural relativism. The latter especially is a terrible argument as it not only takes away your character's agency by painting hir as a victim of society but also negates characters who have acted against said norms.

Sorry, but I think you have no idea on what you're talking about. The only way you can judge a character is by taking cultural relativism into account. Here are the consequences of not taking cultural relativism into account:

1. Ned didn't legalize gay marriage.

2. Ned didn't establish a democracy in the North.

3. Ned wanted to marry his daughters off to nobles.

4. Ned took Theon hostage.

5. Ned chopped the heads off people for breaking vows.

Conclusion: It is completely idiotic to judge Westerosi people by using our modern standards, because Westerosi people do not know nor do they understand our modern standards.

You highlighted an interesting problem by saying that it "negates characters who have acted against said norms." Here is a solution: Give them extra points! Simple, isn't it?

With cultural relativism: Ned is a good person.

Without cultural relativism: Ned is a horrible person.

But you agree that Ned is a good person, am I right?

Archived