So You're In Love With A Controversial Character...

Winter's Knight

LOL. Who? Point me towards these apparent Roose champions.

She wasn't even a prostitute, she was a sex slave.

Check out r/gameofthrones sometimes, hell there's a sub reddit specifically dedicated to Roose Bolton that is pretty active called r/dreadfort. You people are making me feel like im taking crazy pills.

I think you're misunderstanding the idea of cultural relativism and why it shouldn't be applied. The idea of refusing to utilize cultural relativism in making moral judgement is founded in the idea that humans do have innate morality about certain things - i.e. rape and murder hurt other human beings and are consequently no good - and that these actions can never be justified by a social context. So while we're not judging Ned (per se) for ingrained sexism and his belief that Arya will one day be a perfect little lady and be happy in that role, we are judging characters like Robert for raping, because the morality of the issue is very easy to see, even if your culture "condones" it.

Which is not accepted by everyone - but anyway, I still think we can use our common sense. Those exambles are actually some things that most cultures don't tolerate, and for good reason.

But let's invert this: Almost all, if not all, the Dothraki males are actually culpable of these things. We can either suppose that it's a cultural thing, which makes their culture a horrible one (and please don't tell me that this stance condones their behavior), or we can suppose that they are innately immoral, and following this line of thought to the bitter end, lesser human beings that it might be better to be put to death as babies because, well, they'll grow up to be Dothraki...

Anyway, I still think we can all use common sense and seperate the notions of liking a character = the character is good, disliking a character = the character is evil.

Oh, and a tip (to add to WK's list):

-If you recognise a flaw in a character that you don't like, admit it's also a flaw for the character you like, in case he/she has it.

-If you excuse something in your favorite, under certain conditions, be prepared to excuse it as well in the character you don't like, under the same conditions.

Check out r/gameofthrones sometimes, hell there's a sub reddit specifically dedicated to Roose Bolton that is pretty active called r/dreadfort. You people are making me feel like im taking crazy pills.

Oh. Reddit. Well, no surprises there then. I don't visit that site at all.

I don't think there's any culture that could exist, for example, which advocates the destruction of all cultures, or advocates the killing of all living creatures. A culture like that could just not exist. It's impossible.

Some moral beliefs can be held universally, I guess. But I wouldn't say that rape is universal.

She wasn't even a prostitute, she was a sex slave.

Exactly.

As to the uncritical admirers of Roose, Ramsay, Tyson, Cersei, Joffrey or even Gregor Clegane on the internet, that's what you get if you look deep enough on the web. Unless you're new, you'd expect to find a lot of horrific content online anyway. Not much one can do about it.

I really like Randyll Tarly, the man is capable, productive fair and a man who tries to fix things to he best of his ability and perception, he tried everything to "fix" Sam and let's face it, sam would've made a horrific leader for a house like Tarly

I'd just really like to see what people perceive him as since he does get a lot of hate

Still though, you can't judge all of Reddit by r/Men'sRights or r/AdviceAnimals.

Or r/creepshots?

Anywho, we're getting off-topic. StanBamf, it isn't fair to judge this group with the more casual crowd in reddit or tumblr.

I really like Randyll Tarly, the man is capable, productive fair and a man who tries to fix things to he best of his ability and perception, he tried everything to "fix" Sam and let's face it, sam would've made a horrific leader for a house like Tarly

I'd just really like to see what people perceive him as since he does get a lot of hate

He's an awful person. He is a horrible misogynist, even for that society and one of the worst dads around.

Or r/creepshots?

Anywho, we're getting off-topic. StanBamf, it isn't fair to judge this group with the more casual crowd in reddit or tumblr.

That too, but thankfully r/creepshots got shut down.

And yes, i dont' really think too highly of anyone in r/gameofthrones myself.

That too, but thankfully r/creepshots got shut down.

And yes, i dont' really think too highly of anyone in r/gameofthrones myself.

Come on Walrus, let's steer the chat back to the topic. :)

I never understand the love for Tywin myself, I don't even see him as being that great of a leader, he can't even competently lead his own family.

Archived