Jaime's pushing Bran out the window

Nephenee

These posts are getting old. What Jaime did was wrong. He tried to murder a child, even to safe his own (And that's something we don't know). Just that. Jaime is better now, he is an awesome character and one of the best written by George, but he was f******* mad.

If Jaime was concernd about his kids, he could have just stopped his affair with the queen, that would have kept their lives much more secure than killing off the witnesses.

He didn't stop though (not until he became one-handed Jaime), not even after his murder attempt on Bran, which removes any "justification" he might have had - if you willingly and repeatedly bring yourself in a situation where you will kill innocents when they appear, then you can't very well throw your hands in the air and profess your innocence.

As has been pointed out many times, perhaps best in the controversial characters thread, it's cool to like characters that have done bad things. Jaime being one of the most obvious examples of this.

But it just looks bad to try and justify their horrible deeds. It's far better to just accept that they have done bad things and point out why you like the character in spite of those things.

Jaime took a huge risk in having sex with Cersei at Winterfell. Hell, he took the risk of getting caught every time he did it. He put himself in a situation in which he would have to kill/attempt to kill anyone that happened to see him. This would be to save himself, Cersel, and their children. Yes, in Jaime's position most of us would've done the same thing. However, most of us wouldn't have been selfish enough to put ourselves in that situation in the first place. That's what the OP fails to take into account. His redemption, I think, is genuine. However, there's no getting around the fact that he started off the story as a selfish prick.

Look, I'm a big Jaime supporter, and he's one of my favorite characters. But I don't get why people try to justify his pushing a child out a window. You can't. And it actually devalues Jaime's character arc - his redemptive arc means nothing it he has nothing to be redeemed for. The fact is, even if he did want to try to cover it up, there are other things they could have tried to do, but Jaime doesn't even think, he just acts. They didn't even try to talk to Bran. I'm not saying they could have convinced him to keep quiet, but he didn't even try.

Jaime is becoming like Ned? No. Redemption arc? Maybe I will see it if he crawls in the mud apologising to Bran. If Bran accepts it maybe I can too, but you first have to feel remorse before you can be forgiven. Now your big fault is that you conveniently look passed the fact Jaime and Cersei deserve to die for what they did. And according to the law, the children did too. Killing an innocent child to try to cover up your crimes makes your crimes 1000x times worse. What Jaime did to Bran is unforgivable and I can't wait untill he gets what's coming from him. I hope it will be slow and painful, as it should be.

Even Cersei thought that Jaime was wrong:

Tyrion waited until he had been seated and served a cup of wine before thrusting the letter at her. He said not a word. Cersei blinked at him innocently and took the parchment from his hand.

"I trust you're pleased," he said as she read. "You wanted the Stark boy dead, I believe."

Cersei made a sour face. "It was Jaime who threw him from that window, not me. For love, he said, as if that would please me. It was a stupid thing to do, and dangerous besides, but when did our sweet brother ever stop to think?"

"The boy saw you," Tyrion pointed out.

"He was a child. I could have frightened him into silence." She looked at the letter thoughtfully.

This is Cersei we're talking about, a woman who is only a vague semantic quibble away from being a serial killer. If Cersei of all people thinks that your violent reaction on her behalf was wrong, then it was wrong.

It's possible, in other words, that Jaime once again saved the lives of thousands.

Seriously? Jamie helped bring about TWOt5Ks and yes him fucking his sister/queen and breeding with her, and putting his illegitimate bastards on a throne that steams from a true Baratheon bloodline did cause a war. Jamie prevented NOTHING, there was still a war fought because of him fucking his sister/queen and breeding. His house went to war, THOUSANDS DIED, His, his sister/lover, and his children look like they are all going to die(hopefully soon)all because he couldn't stop fucking his sister.

Jamie didn't save anything

Even Cersei thought that Jaime was wrong:

This is Cersei we're talking about, a woman who is only a vague semantic quibble away from being a serial killer. If Cersei of all people thinks that your violent reaction on her behalf was wrong, then it was wrong.

I don't think Cersei has any particular problem with killing children, as she has proven on more than one occasion. She thought it was wrong because it could have led to more trouble (which it did) whereas a simply bullying of Bran, who didn't even undertsand what he saw, would have been far more safer. Cersei did not have a problem with the act of killing Bran, just that it wasn't as effective for allowing the 2 to continue their crime.

Oh noes, not this again.

OP, I don't think you're going to find many takers for this fangirl nonsense this time.

Sheesh. Jamie's an interesting character but what he did to Bran is, in no universe other than the one OP has dreamed up, justifiable.

Thanks for that vid. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau used a similar argument to mine.

But it just looks bad to try and justify their horrible deeds. It's far better to just accept that they have done bad things and point out why you like the character in spite of those things.

Jaime isn't perfect. Jaime isn't a saint. Jaime could have handled the situation better; after all, the entire point of his redemption arc was to show that he was changing from an immature and troubled person to someone more like Ned! But Jaime's intentions for pushing Bran out the window were completely justified and understandable. If you wanted to save your family, I'm sure you would have done the same thing. Pushing Bran out the window to save his family was not one of his crimes. His crimes were needlessly killing Ned's men out of anger, and other things like that.

while i agree with the OP..what makes me judge Jaime is the fact that he dosent feel any guilt or remorse over that deed....yes,he saved his own life and the life of the queen and her children, but if I did kill a child, I'd feel guilty about it all my life. Jaime dosent seem to show such signs.

Agreed, as would I. Just because you kill a child to save your family doesn't mean it's 100% justified. It's still partially wrong even though it's mostly right, and it is tragic.

It may be possible that we haven't seen Jaime think of Bran yet, and we may in the future. We will see.

If it was your kid that Jaime threw out the window and less for this argument that your kid did die............and you were given every bit of information as to why and how easily Jaime did it......would you then say that what Jaime did was not a crime? Would you toast to Jaime for what he did to your own child?

There are actually plenty of valid reasons being given on these two pages, besides simply condemning the murder of a child which already is a valid reason.

Facepalm. Saying the murder of a child is just wrong is not a good explanation. Everything needs an explanation as to why it is the way it is. Why is the sky blue? Why not question it? Why say it's blue just because? Utter foolishness.

Let's go ahead and look at what people are saying. Your claim isn't true at all; I've never seen anyone give an explanation as to why murdering a child is sometimes justified. The argument that Jaime shouldn't have done it in the first place doesn't count, because it's Jaime specific and doesn't do anything about the general claim--that murdering a child, in extreme situations, can be justified.

Let's consider Jaime, though. Was he wrong to push Bran out of the window even though he brought it upon himself? Regardless of the fact that he brought it upon himself (I'd say this is only partially true, because it's nonsensical to expect a half monkey child to be a good climber, and to catch you in doing the act) he still has a duty to his family. So it doesn't matter if he brought it upon himself because regardless of that, his family is still at risk.

If it was your kid that Jaime threw out the window and less for this argument that your kid did die............and you were given every bit of information as to why and how easily Jaime did it......would you then say that what Jaime did was not a crime? Would you toast to Jaime for what he did to your own child?

If I had to murder a child to save my family, I'd regret it and feel horrible about it, just like Jaime. Even if I would have done it again if I had the chance.

Archived