How do you think every current faction, region or character would deal with an Others invasion?

Jon of the Dead

*Assuming the Others make it as far as Dorne

There are 2 reactions that I'd love to see:

- Whoever is in Storm's End (I'm assuming JonCon): I've been wishing to see a siege in Storm's End since forever (Cortnay Penrose not withstanding), and what better siege than one with wights. Imagine the conditions inside Storm's End, the cold and hunger, plus greyscale as a wildcard. It would make for an awesome horror story.

- The Iron Islands and the Drowned God Priests: Ever since Cotter Pyke's letter revealed wights can be underwater, I've had these image of wights crawling from the low tides in the Iron Islands. Imagine Aeron's reaction as thousands literally rise again harder and stronger. Religious fanaticism and the undead make an amazing pairing.

So what regions/factions or characters you imagine will react interstingly to the Others and the wights and how?

IF the Others can either find a way to cross the magical barriers of the Wall or IF they find a way to break it down (which I'm not sure they can) then I think that there isn't much hope for the realm the way things have been set up until this point.

I kind of agree with Maester Aemon - the North is their best hope. The further south they go the more powerful they will become. Winter comes with them (Sam's reading that either they come when it's cold or it gets cold when they come and further confusing ramble). The Bolton's (as the New Wardens in the North) may or may not believe the stories of White Walkers and Wights (though if Roose is practicing some sort of blood magic to keep himself young/unblemished which I think he might be, then he might try to act). Others though must be preparing in some way (though no response was recieved in Castle Black) maybe by fortifing their defenses. But I think when it comes down to it, the Northmen have more to worry about at the moment with the Bolton's and Stannis's army.

As for the other 6 of the 7 Kingdoms, I don't think they will believe anything until the monsters are at their door. This goes double for any of the lands across the narrow sea. They won't bestirr themselves unnecessarily until it's too late. The only exception I think would be the other Red Priet- I've yet to hear the "Great Other" speach from anyone but Mel, but I don't doubt it's part of their doctorine, or the Faceless men who always seem to be a part of major events throughout history and who likely know more about magic workings then they let on about.

So either:

1. They don't make it that far (but are somehow defeated North of the Wall to prevent the Wall coming down)

2. They make it past and the North jumps into action to defend themselves, leaving their plans to destroy the Freys/Boltons undone for now

3. They slowly make their way South and get more powerful until a major event takes place to eradicate them (Possibly Dany's Dragons, as she had a vision of men made of ice attacking her on the Trident, Possibly some type of magic of the Red Priests or Faceless Men)

4. They win and conquer everything.

The only exception I think would be the other Red Priet- I've yet to hear the "Great Other" speach from anyone but Mel, but I don't doubt it's part of their doctorine

Moqorro tells Vic that the Drowned God is a demon in service of the Great Other, so it's definitively part of their doctrine.

I guess all regions at this moment are incapable of stopping an Other invasion, as none of them have the obsidian weapons that are needed. I gues only Dragonstone can hold its ground during an Other-invasion. The Wall may have gotten its hand on some obsidian by now, but the North itself is unaware and just as vulnerable as the other regions.

I guess all regions at this moment are incapable of stopping an Other invasion, as none of them have the obsidian weapons that are needed. I gues only Dragonstone can hold its ground during an Other-invasion. The Wall may have gotten its hand on some obsidian by now, but the North itself is unaware and just as vulnerable as the other regions.

Agree, whoever holds Dragonstone for now (the Tyrells, I guess) has a definite edge against the Others. The Tyrells are so schemy that it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they manage to make an agreement with a powerful ally in exchange for dragonglass.

I guess all regions at this moment are incapable of stopping an Other invasion, as none of them have the obsidian weapons that are needed.

Fire still works on at least the wights, and possibly Valyrian steel as well (though I personally wouldn't want to try and get close enough to use my hypothetical ancestral greatsword upon them to find out).

So potentially archers with fire arrows could make a dent in their ranks from behind the safety of some thick walls (too bad Westerosi archers can't ride and shoot from horseback like the Dothraki). Or if they get close enough to start scaling the walls, some cauldrons full of boiling oil and a few torches thrown down will at least keep the immediate surroundings wight-free.

If they got as far as King's Landing, then finally people will have a decent use for all that wildfire which has been lurking in wait since Aerys' reign.

As for other defenses, importing some warlocks, shadowbinders, and other magicians from the East to ward villages and castles and such might be do-able, since apparently their powers will increase closer to where the Others seem to be (as Mel notes in her POV in ADWD that her powers are so much stronger at the Wall, and all the mysterious disappearances and sightings of quasi-magical things seem to have started in the far North, even before Dany's dragons hatched).

I foresee most of the realm writing if off as just another wilding style invasion, until it becomes apparent it isnt, then I foresee relatively quick unification. Dragonsteel (Valarian) since we seem to be entering a new High Fantasy era is it time for a second age of Heroes and the major houses pulling together?

Dunno, I can't see them uniting unless it's to screw each other over mid-stream.

Man, what an ending that would be - the houses screwing each other and getting each other killed, and getting forced all the way to Dorne in the ensuing shitfight.

Dany arrives to see a bleak winter wasteland inhabited by shuffling frozen corpes and says 'fuck that - BACK TO MEREEN!'

The Lannisters would give them a sharp lesson.

The Freys would throw a wedding.

Doran would immediately plan revenge and then actually carry it out 15 years later.

Robert would go with his warhammer, Renly would negotiate with his peach, Boltons would flay them, Cat would take them for the trial, Arya would whisper their names before sleep, Joffrey would exercise how his crossbow works, Dontos would kick them with a melon, Highsepton would make them walk the penance walk, Mormont ladies would make them dance with bears, Sweetrobin would make them fly through MoonDoor...

And Sansa... Sansa would make them love her :)

The Lannisters would give them a sharp lesson.

The Freys would throw a wedding.

Doran would immediately plan revenge and then actually carry it out 15 years later.

:lmao:

Robert would go with his warhammer, Renly would negotiate with his peach, Boltons would flay them, Cat would take them for the trial, Arya would whisper their names before sleep, Joffrey would exercise how his crossbow works, Dontos would kick them with a melon, Highsepton would make them walk the penance walk, Mormont ladies would make them dance with bears, Sweetrobin would make them fly through MoonDoor...

And Sansa... Sansa would make them love her :)

Yes she would~ That is so our Sansabby.

Rhaegar would crown one the QoLaB and elope with it to the ToJ to try to make dragon heads~ it is the song of ice and fire after all.

House Tyrell would propose a marriage alliance between Margaery and the Great Other, which would more or less finish off the Great Other.

:bowdown:

On the other hand, Stannis would probably send them ravens demanding they bend the knee

Archived