What Would Be the Cruelest Karmic Punishment Given to Characters?

Some characters have already got their comeuppance ala Jaime needs a hand but alot of characters havent.

Cersei- while yes she is gaining weight and aging I think it would be superb if she somehow gets a huge facial scar.

Dany- she is constantly said to e the worlds most beautiful women what if she gets a huge facial scar as well?

Facial scars for everyone!

The fact some character got their comeuppance and some who did far worse things haven't speaks a lot about GRRM's belief of karmic justice. The world isn't just place and guilty shall not always pay for their crimes...

The fact some character got their comeuppance and some who did far worse things haven't speaks a lot about GRRM's belief of karmic justice. The world isn't just place and guilty shall not always pay for their crimes...

im not sayin they would happen, I'm asking what would be their cruelest comeuppance

im not sayin they would happen, I'm asking what would be their cruelest comeuppance

Implying that we should expect some sort of karmic comeuppance is simply wrong. Bad things would happen to some good guys and to some bad guys. Martin's world was never about justice. It is the cruel world where justice is the last worry, and although we can expect some great punishment for Freys and Boltons for RW, some characters will never pay for their crimes...

Some characters have already got their comeuppance ala Jaime needs a hand but alot of characters havent.

Cersei- while yes she is gaining weight and aging I think it would be superb if she somehow gets a huge facial scar.

Dany- she is constantly said to e the worlds most beautiful women what if she gets a huge facial scar as well?

Facial scars for everyone!

You might be on to something there, although ugly characters aren't spared facial scars, either (Tyrion, Brienne, Jorah, etc.).

Jeyne Poole mocked Arya for her looks, and according to the TWOW chapter it looks like she'll lose at least part of her nose to frostbite.

Eh, I dunno. The Boltons and Littlefingers of the series aren't out of the woods yet. The guilty may not always pay for their crimes, but they do pay, one way or another. In fact, an ongoing theme is that characters escape punishment for things that they did do while being punished for things of which they are completely innocent. Margaery got away with murdering Joffrey, but she may go belly-up at her trial on the basis of transparently false accusations. The Hound was never punished for Mycah's murder (or any number of the other people he's killed), but he is blamed for the atrocities at Saltpans. And so on.

Implying that we should expect some sort of karmic comeuppance is simply wrong. Bad things would happen to some good guys and to some bad guys. Martin's world was never about justice. It is the cruel world where justice is the last worry, and although we can expect some great punishment for Freys and Boltons for RW, some characters will never pay for their crimes...

Hahaha, but you've admitted that there is karmic comeuppance in GRRM's ASOIAF universe, since "we can expect some great punishment" for the Freys and the Boltons. What is that if not karmic comeuppance?

You're absolutely right that bad things happen to good people in the series (although I doubt anyone would seriously dispute the point). However, GRRM absolutely metes out a big helping of karmic comeuppance to characters who do evil in this series, as you seem to have intuited by predicting that there's some great punishment in store for the Freys and the Boltons. Let's run down the list, shall we?

Lysa Tully: murders others for love, murdered by the one man she ever loved

Gregor Clegane: murders and brutalizes others, dies slowly in agonizing pain, his corpse used as a death-dealing machine

Vargo Hoat: cuts off limbs for fun, has his own limbs cut off and eaten

Tywin Lannister: obsessed with family legacy and dignity and dismissive of Tyrion, suffers the most indignified of deaths at Tyrion's hands

Jaime Lannister: casually cripples an innocent boy, is crippled himself in an equally casual way

Theon Greyjoy: ...speaks for itself, pretty much

Jorah Mormont: sells people into slavery, is himself sold into slavery

Viserys Targaryen: abuses Dany indiscriminately, is killed for doing so (well, drawing his sword to threaten Dany)

Joffrey Baratheon: abuses Sansa indiscriminately, is murdered as a result of that abuse making him an unfit husband for Margaery

...And so on.

Well, there's always more comeuppance, isn't there? Does anyone think Jaime abandoning Cersei and Cersei's naked walk represent the end of her comeuppance? Judging by the prophecy, her troubles have barely begun.

Still, taking a stab at this, if you're looking for karmic punishments, I think you have to ask yourself "What does the character value most?" and then take it away from them--Jaime's sword hand, Cersei's vanity in her appearance, etc.--or ask yourself "What has the character done to other characters?" and then do it to that character.

Dany's never really struck me as a vain person, so giving her a badass facial scar wouldn't really be much in the way of karmic punishment. For a character who has taken pride in their appearance, on the other hand, facial disfigurement would be a much worse karmic blow.

Jamie visits the Wall and while on top he leans over for a better look, losing his balance he reaches out with the wrong hand and plunges 700 feet, only to awaken a month later paralyzed from the neck down while Bran and Bloodraven play "who can make the most hellish nightmare" in his head. :devil:

Jamie visits the Wall and while on top he leans over for a better look, losing his balance he reaches out with the wrong hand and plunges 700 feet, only to awaken a month later paralyzed from the neck down while Bran and Bloodraven play "who can make the most hellish nightmare" in his head. :devil:

haha I would enjoy that chapter

are you Satan?.....

Hahaha, but you've admitted that there is karmic comeuppance in GRRM's ASOIAF universe, since "we can expect some great punishment" for the Freys and the Boltons. What is that if not karmic comeuppance?

Actually, I expect Boltons and Freys to pay due to existence of Rat Cook story, general Northern dislike of Boltons, and the fact that Freys are now damaged goods. No one wants them as allies but Lannisters... That's not karma, as simple situation at the ground...

Actually, I expect Boltons and Freys to pay due to existence of Rat Cook story, general Northern dislike of Boltons, and the fact that Freys are now damaged goods. No one wants them as allies but Lannisters... That's not karma, as simple situation at the ground...

the Lannisters don't even WANT them as allies they accept them because they need allies

Archived