Why did Hoster turn down Tyrion?

Malakai Kahn

Hey, long time viewer, first time poster.

As we know Hoster Tully found it difficult to arrange a marriage for Lysa after she'd slept with Littlefinger, if this is true then why did he turn down Tyrion Lannister. With Jaime in the Kingsguard Tyrion was heir to Casterly Rock and set to be the next Warden of the West. With Cat set to marry the heir to Winterfell and next Warden of the North Lysa's marriage to Tyrion would increase House Tully's influence greatly. You could argue that Lysa personally refused due to Tyrion being a dwarf, but it's hard to understand why she would turn down a young dwarf for an old, possibly infertile man (This has actually just made me wonder if Tyrion's infertile, considering his amount of whoring and lack of bastards). Perhaps Hoster Tully didn't want the embarrassment of a dwarf being linked to his family, but then what's a bit of embarrassment compared to the gold of the Westerlands...

First, welcome to the forum. May you have a nice and pleasent time here.

Second, are you joking? Tullys are on top of social ladder, wehn it comes to marriages. He could have married Lysa to almost anyone, not that Lysa's indiscretion was public knowledge. Also, arranged marriages are done with some consent. Marrying her to dwarf would be seen as humiliation to both Lysa and House Tully. There's a reason why every House rejected the marriage Tywin offered.

Welcome to the board, Malakai!

Didn't the offer came before Hoster discovered that Lysa slept with LF and got pregnant?

Anyway, I don't think it was a secret that Tyrion, even with Jaime in the KG, would have major trouble inheriting the Rock given the strong prejudice against dwarves, and that Tywin despised him. Hoster also wouldn't want to riks having dwarf grandchildren.

I think Tyrion my well have been lying about this offer, though, to make a point what an unique chance it was for Tyrion to get Sansa.

First welcome to the forums, I hope you have as much fun here as I do

As for the matter at hand, lysa's blunder was not common knowledge and I believe it never left the closest circle to hoster, thus lysa was considered a good match (they could always claim she lost her maiden head riding)

As for the lanister part, tyrion is basically the lowest of the lanisters and to marry lyasa to him is to say a tully is less then he lowest of the lanisters

Also, I too never got tyrions lack 9f bastards, something is missing

Also, I too never got tyrions lack 9f bastards, something is missing

Since the first part was already answered, I'll focus on Tyrion's lack of bastards: He didn't fuck as often as he jokes about and the show made him do. Before Shae, he hadn't fucked somebody for an entire year, maybe two. Tyrion talking about fucking oh so often is mostly empy talk.

Furthermore, he frequents whores. Whores, who aren't interested in a pregnancy and knew how to make sure of that. Far more than the young maidens Robert preferred.

Since the first part was already answered, I'll focus on Tyrion's lack of bastards: He didn't fuck as often as he jokes about and the show made him do. Before Shae, he hadn't fucked somebody for an entire year, maybe two. Tyrion talking about fucking oh so often is mostly empy talk.

Furthermore, he frequents whores. Whores, who aren't interested in a pregnancy and knew how to make sure of that. Far more than the young maidens Robert preferred.

True, but you'd think at least one would pop out

I find it so funny when people believe that this whole "maidenhead" thing is accurate. It is not. The hymen is a tricky thing. It's different on every woman, some are "damaged" during sex (not necessarily the first night), some are not. The whole bleeding thing is also way exaggerated and deeply varies between different woman, different experiences etc.

Everyone knows Tywin wouldn't give CR to Tyrion. So Tyrion is not a lord paramount.

And this is the whole point. If Tywin would have publicly named Tyrion his heir you'd have to beat off lords proposing marriages with a stick. Dwarf or not, being the heir to CR would have made Tyrion a very attractive match to anyone, minus a few of the more powerful houses, but you'd still have a ton of respectable choices. But since everyone knew that Tyrion would never be named heir, and Tywin did whatever he wanted to do, Tyrion was not a good match for the vast majority of noble families in Westeros.

Archived