How Gay are You?

Weeping Sore

Strange that everyone has given their percentages and it's the one person who said 100pc straight that gets scrutinized. Is it not allowed or something? I feel 100pc straight, despite being a very open-minded and generally experimental person.

I was just asking how you can ever be absolutely sure unless you've seen and met all the guys.

I only like females, in the attraction sense. Is this not cool or something? Do people have a need to interpret this as repression, or as a sign that I'm wrong or don't know myself very well?

No one has said this. Again was just saying how can you ever be 100% sure?

Have you met all the sheep in the World? So how do you know there isn't one you'd be attracted to?

I haven't and to be totally honest I don't know. There well may be a sheep out there for me. It's unlikely, just like it's unlikely you or Andrew or myself will find a man we feel sexually attracted to. I was just positing that of all the possible men from all time ever, can you ever truly be certain you're incapable of finding one sexually attractive? (or sheep)

I was just asking how you can ever be absolutely sure unless you've seen and met all the guys.

I haven't and to be totally honest I don't know. There well may be a sheep out there for me. It's unlikely, just like it's unlikely you or Andrew or myself will find a man we feel sexually attracted to. I was just positing that of all the possible men from all time ever, can you ever truly be certain you're incapable of finding one sexually attractive? (or sheep)

Yes, but who the heck is really interested in the answer to that question? It's not a question that anyone can answer. Could I eventually, some day, find some guy who makes my willy perky? Maybe. Who the hell knows? Why is it relevant?

Or are you just saying it's relevant that one is open to the possibility? I admit I don't necessarily believe anyone who says with 100% certainty that they will never, ever, find a member of the same sex (if they identify as straight) that they will ever, ever be sexually attracted to. But, again, why should I care?

Yes, but who the heck is really interested in the answer to that question? It's not a question that anyone can answer. Could I eventually, some day, find some guy who makes my willy perky? Maybe. Who the hell knows? Why is it relevant?

Well what's the point of this thread then?

Or are you just saying it's relevant that one is open to the possibility? I admit I don't necessarily believe anyone who says with 100% certainty that they will never, ever, find a member of the same sex (if they identify as straight) that they will ever, ever be sexually attracted to. But, again, why should I care?

It's not relevant to anything really :P I suppose it can't hurt to help counter homophobia maybe :P

Wait, this is not a quiz? Someone make a quiz, please. It would help me ever so much to figure this out once and for all. (What, if an internet quiz says so, it be true.) Actually, it occurs to me Kinsey must have has some sort of questionnaire, back in the day. Maybe someone could upload that?

Well, I think that just like personal sexuality sits on a sliding scale, there are also different levels of attraction. You can have a certain level of appreciation for a particular human form with out a strong desire to engage in sexual acts with that person, regardless of gender or orientation. As a heterosexual man, I can absolutely find a very handsome guy more attractive or appealing than a woman who I might consider comely, or just flat out not my type. And that's not even getting into personal or emotional connections...

Well what's the point of this thread then?

I don't think the point was to gauge the possibility of our inevitable attraction to members of the same or opposite sex EVER. I understood it as gauging those feelings SO FAR. In any case, I clarified my problems with the point of this thread way in the beginning, in that quantifying it seemed pointless. Addressing the idea that most people exist along a sexuality spectrum can be better done without having to put a number next to it, regardless of how digestible it makes it. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that quantifying it causes problems. As it did when people in this thread claimed to be 100% one or the other and were scrutinized for it. "Well, it sounds like you're really 95%" and that sort of thing.

eta: This is coming from someone who tends to quantify everything. Even I know that some things are just better left to qualitative assessments.

Wait, this is not a quiz? Someone make a quiz, please. It would help me ever so much to figure this out once and for all. (What, if an internet quiz says so, it be true.) Actually, it occurs to me Kinsey must have has some sort of questionnaire, back in the day. Maybe someone could upload that?

http://vistriai.com/kinseyscaletest/

No idea if it's real, hopefully some psych majors can tell us?

I would put myself as about 70/30 towards being straight. I tend to be a lot more particular about which guys I find attractive then girls. Is it like that with other people?

I think it's perfectly valid to read yourself as currently 0/100 or 100/0. This is just present-tense, you can't be expected to make guarantees about the future.

I'd be curious about a straight man and his reaction to, for example, male model Andrej Pejic. (sorry no link, just do a google search for images.)

Would a straight man move any gay percentage points for accepting hypothetical sexual favors from him, or does he hew too close to the ideal for feminine beauty to "count"? (I don't know how he self-identifies gender-wise)

I'd be curious about a straight man and his reaction to, for example, male model Andrej Pejic. (sorry no link, just do a google search for images.)

Would a straight man move any gay percentage points for accepting hypothetical sexual favors from him [snip]

Speaking for this straight man: Nah, already took this situation into account in my "I'd eventually fuck somebody if all the women died" assessment.

Would a straight man move any gay percentage points for accepting hypothetical sexual favors from him, or does he hew too close to the ideal for feminine beauty to "count"? (I don't know how he self-identifies gender-wise)

I think this is a much better-phrased and more illuminating question than the percentage scale one. For me personally, I'd say that if a man looks so much like a(n attractive) woman that he sexually arouses me, then it kind of doesn't "count", as you say, because my mind would think that I would be having sex with a woman. I do think that there are men who'd be sexually attracted to such a person and would then be repulsed when they find out that he's a man (god knows the trope has been mined to death in tv/movie cliches). To me, that seems disingenuous, as it's a factor of self-perceptions vis a vis society and yes, borders on homophobia. But I think I'd have to think about that a little more.

I know I'm not attracted to this [his] "acting" ability.

But I can see why people find his face attractive.

See, I just can't think anything of Gosling is attractive...I just keep picturing him from his part in Remember the Titans and there's just nothing there, no matter how he has changed.

Speaking for this straight man: Nah, already took this situation into account in my "I'd eventually fuck somebody if all the women died" assessment.

But would you be thinking of women while you did this?

Or do you see yourself actually gaining new sexual appreciation for men as a way to cope with the loss of your sexually preferred gender?

Archived