Why the hate for Robb Stark?

AegonTargaryen

Of course they're not at the same level. Jon is a man of the night's watch, not the head of a 20.000 men army.

Yes. But the real point I was trying to make pertained to personal wants and duty. Jon made the choice to continue his duty and his responsibility to his people over his relationship with Ygritte, and it saved the Wall. Robb chose Jeyne and it lost the North. That should balance things out.

The only real problem I have with him is accepting the whole King of the North thing, and running with it. Marrying Jeyne is a teenage mistake, the King thing is really, really, really stupid. I know some short sighted Northerners thrust it on him, but it does not mean he had to accept it. He could have totally had a Stannis or Renly alliance if he just dropped the King nonsense.

Having said all that, he was a pretty nice kid in the books, I am not a hater, but the King thing is a monumentally stupid thing that continues to bug me. He'd probably still be dead no matter what though, because he was always going to marry Jeyne.

The only real problem I have with him is accepting the whole King of the North thing, and running with it. Marrying Jeyne is a teenage mistake, the King thing is really, really, really stupid. I know some short sighted Northerners thrust it on him, but it does not mean he had to accept it. He could have totally had a Stannis or Renly alliance if he just dropped the King nonsense.

Having said all that, he was a pretty nice kid in the books, I am not a hater, but the King thing is a monumentally stupid thing that continues to bug me. He'd probably still be dead no matter what though, because he was always going to marry Jeyne.

Yes, he could've had an alliance with Stannis if only he hadn't taken the crown! Or maybe STANNIS could've compromised and agreed to let the North and Riverlands go, ever consider that? What did Stannis have to offer him, anyways?

Genuinely asking, seems like a bunch of people really don't like him.

Guess I was sort of annoyed he didn't honour his oath to marry a Frey girl, but he was 16, injured, and depressed (thought his bros were dead) so I didn't judge him too harshly for that.

Other than that I think he did as good as a 16 year old kid in his position could do.

He died. We all believed in him, he had to succeed. The other Starks believed in him he was their only hope, no losses on the battlefied he was GOING to do it. He was there, he had it.

Then just like that. (snaps) he was gone. The world shocked us back into "reality" with a harsh "Heroes don't always win" reminder. Then for even more cruelty GRRM shows how it's all been building up based on what we thought were totes good decisions at the time.

So GRRM not only takes away a decent and good character, he kinda makes you feel like a dumb-ass for believing in that character to begin with.

• 2 months later...

Robb Stark is one of the worst characters and is THE most overrated character in A Song of Ice and Fire. First of all, he is a HUGE oath-breaker. Cat thinks he is all great and stuff, but Ned would've HATED him. He promises to marry someone in a few minutes, and then breaks the vow in less than a year. Not only is he an oath-breaker, but he is an enormous idiot who thinks he knows everything.

Also I HATE the king in the north. He could've supported Stannis or someone else but instead he chooses to be extremely stupid

He should have supported Renly, like most of his bannermen advocated before crowning him.

What lives? Renly was sitting on his butt watching tourneys while the country bled.

Renly was sitting on his butt to ensure that his two enemies bleed each other out.

Should Robb side with him, he has no reason to delay his actions anymore, and the priority automatically becomes taking the Lannisters out before Tywin and his famous Lannister gold are put to use.

Renly was sitting on his butt to ensure that his two enemies bleed each other out.

Should Robb side with him, he has no reason to delay his actions anymore, and the priority automatically becomes taking the Lannisters out before Tywin and his famous Lannister gold are put to use.

Which doesn't change the point. Joining up with Reny wouldn't limit the bloodshed. Renly wanted the Lannisters and Starks to weaken each other. He wasn't out for any moral reasons. He was also starving Kings Landing so he could come in and "save them". That's the smart thing to do, but not the nice thing.

The honorable thing to do would be to side with Stannis.

Which doesn't change the point. Joining up with Reny wouldn't limit the bloodshed. Renly wanted the Lannisters and Starks to weaken each other. He wasn't out for any moral reasons. He was also starving Kings Landing so he could come in and "save them". That's the smart thing to do, but not the nice thing.

The honorable thing to do would be to side with Stannis.

I think it's more honourable to side with the strongest side, and thus ensure a quick and rapid victory, limiting the bloodshed to a minimum on at the very least on side and making the chances of desertion and surrender on the other more likely.

Supporting Renly is putting an end to the War faster, and thus saves lives that would have otherwise been lost.

Supporting Stannis means putting all the sides of the conflicts on an equal standing, thus optimizing the bloodshed that is consequent of two relatively equal forces in conflict with one another.

I think honour lies in doing what is for the good of most, siding with Renly.

I think it's more honourable to side with the strongest side, and thus ensure a quick and rapid victory, limiting the bloodshed to a minimum on at the very least on side and making the chances of desertion and surrender on the other more likely.

Supporting Renly is putting an end to the War faster, and thus saves lives that would have otherwise been lost.

Supporting Stannis means putting all the sides of the conflicts on an equal standing, thus optimizing the bloodshed that is consequent of two relatively equal forces in conflict with one another.

I think honour lies in doing what is for the good of most, siding with Renly.

Allying with the strongest side is smarter, but not more honorable. By that logic, it would have been more honorable for Robb, Stannis and Renly to sit on their hands and let the Lannisters rule to spare the realm more bloodshed.

Allying with the strongest side is smarter, but not more honorable. By that logic, it would have been more honorable for Robb, Stannis and Renly to sit on their hands and let the Lannisters rule to spare the realm more bloodshed.

By my definition of honour, yes, it would have been. Hence why Renly's plan to take the Baratheon children into custody was pretty much the best/most honourable thing that could have happened from my point of view.

Robb Stark is one of the worst characters and is THE most overrated character in A Song of Ice and Fire. First of all, he is a HUGE oath-breaker. Cat thinks he is all great and stuff, but Ned would've HATED him. He promises to marry someone in a few minutes, and then breaks the vow in less than a year. Not only is he an oath-breaker, but he is an enormous idiot who thinks he knows everything.

Ned was no stranger to oathbreaking himself...

fathered a bastard--Wedding vows or betrayed Robert--Fealty take your pick.

Neither lasted a year..

Show Robb made a choice. Book Rob made a mistake and tried to make it right.

Show Robb was an idiot and know-it-all. Book Robb was a competent commander.

Ned was no stranger to oathbreaking himself...

fathered a bastard--Wedding vows or betrayed Robert--Fealty take your pick.

Neither lasted a year..

Show Robb made a choice. Book Rob made a mistake and tried to make it right.

Show Robb was an idiot and know-it-all. Book Robb was a competent commander.

And an incompetent ruler and politician.

Archived