The Food Code of Ice and Fire

On turnips...and beets.

A jack-o'-lantern is a carved pumkin, turnip or beet, associated chiefly with the holiday of Samhain and Halloween, and was named after the phenomenon of strange light flickering over peat bogs, called ignis fatuus or jack-o'-lantern. In a jack-o'-lantern, the top is cut off, and the inside flesh then scooped out; an image, usually a monstrous face, is carved out, and the lid replaced. It is typically seen during Halloween. In origin, in the British Isles, turnips and beets were used whereas, in North America, pumpkins are used almost exclusively.[...]

Samhain was a time when fairies and spirits were said to be active.The purpose of these lanterns may have been threefold. They may have been used to light one's way while outside on Samhain night; to represent the spirits and otherworldly beings; and/or to protect oneself and one's home from them.Bettina Arnold writes that they were sometimes set on windowsills to keep them out of one's home. However, others suggest that they originated with All Saint's Day (1 November)/All Soul's Day(2 November) and that they represented Christian souls in purgatory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack-o%27-lantern

How about onions? With Davos being the onion knight, I'm thinking Loyalty could be applicable, since onions don't spoil quickly like other foods. There's also the famous 'multi-layered' aspect of onions, and they've meant eternity in other literary references.

We discussed onions in Davos reread once, and there is certain simplicity about it. Davos is simple, loyal man, has a family, is a knight. Nothing special about him. Further more, onions are part of almost every meal in Westeros, they are ingridient that emphasize the flavour, but at the end, it's just that. It's not main course, it's ingridient of every bowl. Also, multi-layered aspect of onions is well-developed in Davos' storyline, especially when he talks with Melisandre about good and evil. And while Melisandre believes that if one half of onion is rotten, entire onion is rotten, Davos knows, based on experience, that man can be both good and bad. That man can be both knight and smuggler. When it comes to Davos, onions represent multi-layerness of his personality, as well as simplicity of his life.

Might be noteworthy that there is a tale from the brother Grimm about Turnips, IMO, this means, that there must be some deeper meaning for the turnip in folklore, even if google fails to come up with a proper answer.... http://www.gnuctt.net/from-the-past/949-the-turnip.html

The Turnip From Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, Household Tales, trans. Margaret Hunt (London: George Bell, 1884)

There were once two brothers who both served as soldiers; one of them was rich, and the other poor. Then the poor one, to escape from his poverty, put off his soldier's coat, and turned farmer. He dug and hoed his bit of land, and sowed it with turnip seed. The seed came up, and one turnip grew there which became large and vigorous, and visibly grew bigger and bigger, and seemed as if it would never stop growing, so that it might have been called the princess of turnips, for never was such an one seen before, and never will such an one be seen again.

At length it was so enormous that by itself it filled a whole cart, and two oxen were required to draw it, and the farmer had not the least idea what he was to do with the turnip, or whether it would be a fortune to him or a misfortune. At last he thought, "If thou sellest it, what wilt thou get for it that is of any importance, and if thou eatest it thyself, why the small turnips would do thee just as much good; it would be better to take it to the King, and make him a present of it."

So he placed it on a cart, harnessed two oxen, took it to the palace, and presented it to the King. "What strange thing is this?" said the King. "Many wonderful things have come before my eyes, but never such a monster as this! From what seed can this have sprung, or are you a luck-child and have met with it by chance?" "Ah, no!" said the farmer, "no luck-child am I. I am a poor soldier, who because he could no longer support himself hung his soldier's coat on a nail and took to farming land. I have a brother who is rich and well known to you, Lord King, but I, because I have nothing, am forgotten by every one."

Then the King felt compassion for him, and said, "Thou shalt be raised from thy poverty, and shalt have such gifts from me that thou shalt be equal to thy rich brother." Then he bestowed on him much gold, and lands, and meadows, and herds, and made him immensely rich, so that the wealth of the other brother could not be compared with his. When the rich brother heard what the poor one had gained for himself with one single turnip, he envied him, and thought in every way how he also could get hold of a similar piece of luck. He would, however, set about it in a much wiser way, and took gold and horses and carried them to the King, and made certain the King would give him a much larger present in return. If his brother had got so much for one turnip, what would he not carry away with him in return for such beautiful things as these? The King accepted his present, and said he had nothing to give him in return that was more rare and excellent than the great turnip. So the rich man was obliged to put his brother's turnip in a cart and have it taken to his home.[...]

Another point about Arya, Sansa and the blood orange. Arya squeezes the orange when Sansa lies about Mycah attacking Joffrey and calls her a liar. Then when Sansa is going on about how she'll be married to Joffrey, Arya chucks the orange at her and tells she has juice on her face.

Basically, Sansa is trying to deny what happened and sweep it under the rug, lying about Mycah and being insistent that she's going to marry Joffrey and be queen. When Arya throws the orange at her and it stains her dress, a stain that can't be washed out, it's a physical reminder that Sansa can't deny the truth of what happened and that the Trident incident had consequences. Just as Sansa's beautiful ivory silk dress is ruined by the blood orange stain, so is her fantasy of queenship and happy married life with Joffrey ruined by the ugly reality of the truth of what happened at the Trident and what that revealed about Joffrey's character.

...and that's borne out later, of course, not only by Joffrey's subsequent cruelty to Sansa, but by Cersei telling Sansa that Joffrey would never forgive her for seeing him in a position of weakness (at Arya's mercy at the Trident).

Yes. Arya exposed the truth about Joffrey, and when Sansa is rattling away in denial mode about Mycah attacking Joffrey and becoming Joffrey's queen, Arya throws the blood orange at her and stains her dress, a stain that Sansa can't erase.

On the more sinister side of things, maybe there's a more straightforward blood oranges = death association. Arya's blood orange = dead Mycah. Littlefinger and Sansa's blood orange = the people who are dead because of Littlefinger's plotting (with the "juice" being the benefits from their deaths). Doran's blood oranges falling = Doran's family members predeceasing him.

Coppola uses oranges in the Godfather trilogy to symbolize death. Blood oranges in particular are apparently associated to the 'death of Jesus'. So character death seems an adequate interpretation...but IMO the blood orange symbolizes the death of someone in the family. It's not Mycah, it may be Ned, as the blood splatters against Sansa's dress...so it's her who is stained/ who betrayed her father...but maybe there is even more to the foreshadowing? Arya throws the orange; after all...the gesture could well be a metaphor/analogy for Arya ‘killing’ Sansa. Replace the blood orange with Needle, the juice with real blood etc.

I’m not saying Arya will ‘kill’ her sister in a direct manner, or that killing is to be taken literally...but it could work. Jeyne Poole has taken Arya’s place, Sansa has become Alayne...So Arya could become Sansa with her little face changing tricks. Just a thought.

I'm not sure what scene this is with Littlefinger and Sansa, but even then, it works - both had their hand, unwittingly/unwillingly in Sansa's case in Ned and Lysa's death. Sansa's family. Robert Arryn might be next in line.

There are several varieties of persimmon, which could contribute to your confusion. Here's a linkto a wiki article. There's a translation function to the left.

We discussed onions in Davos reread once, and there is certain simplicity about it. Davos is simple, loyal man, has a family, is a knight. Nothing special about him. Further more, onions are part of almost every meal in Westeros, they are ingridient that emphasize the flavour, but at the end, it's just that. It's not main course, it's ingridient of every bowl. Also, multi-layered aspect of onions is well-developed in Davos' storyline, especially when he talks with Melisandre about good and evil. And while Melisandre believes that if one half of onion is rotten, entire onion is rotten, Davos knows, based on experience, that man can be both good and bad. That man can be both knight and smuggler. When it comes to Davos, onions represent multi-layerness of his personality, as well as simplicity of his life.

In AFFC, Sam finds an onion on the ship that is half rotten, but unlike Melisandre, he simply cuts away the rotten part and eats the rest. That could symbolise that Sam is a thoroughly good person and can also see the good in others or something like that. Now that I think about it, Sam probably is the best character in the book ;)

I believe that the blood oranges in Sansa's chapters are really foreshadowing. She probably won't stay nearly as innocent as she is now...all the references to blood ("You have juice on your face", "Keep your hands clean") suggest that she (and Littlefinger) will kill someone (literally or figuratively) or maybe even that Sansa will kill Littlefinger. Of course, all these hints might also point to Marillion and Lysa, but I like to think there's more to it than that. After all, she will slay a giant in a snow castle (unless Robert's doll was meant, but I don''t believe that.)

It would be interesting to see if Sansa eats Lemoncakes in her TWOW chapters. She promised Sweetrobin ridiculous amounts of them, IIRC, but will she want to eat some herself?

Hmm perhaps it's simply a sign of overindulgence.

On Lamprey :

While lampreys are well known for those species which bore into the flesh of other fish to suck their blood, most species of lamprey are not parasitic and never feed on other fish.[...]

They were highly appreciated by ancient Romans. During the Middle Ages, they were widely eaten by the upper classes throughout Europe, especially during fasting periods, since their taste is much meatier than that of most true fish. King Henry I of England is said to have died from eating "a surfeit of lampreys.[...]

In Britain, lampreys are commonly used as bait, normally as dead bait. Pike, perch and chub all can be caught on lampreys.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamprey

1) lamprey, a parasite that attaches itself to other fish and sucks their blood.

2) lamprey, a fish widely eaten by the upper class in the middle ages.

3) lamprey as bait.

Manderly serving lamprey can have three different motives. Manderly is a parasite. Manderly serves the fish because he is wealthy and lives on the coast - a motive for authencity. Manderly uses the fish as a bait for Davos...or the bait is Davos himself...or Rickon?

And as has been stated above, Lady Tanda serves lamprey to her suitors >> here again two motives: lamprey for authenticity, and lamprey as a bait.

Are there any other mentions of lamprey?

Oh, and in folklore lamprey has 'nine eyes' >> 'nine-eyed heels'.

I've quietly been reading this thread in awe. Brilliant job, everybody! :bowdown:

Re the Old Bear taking his beer with lemon, he also does not take his spiced wine with lemon. ACoK, Jon IV:

The Old Bear was particular about his hot spiced wine. So much cinnamon and so much nutmeg and so much honey, not a drop more. Raisins and nuts and dried berries, but no lemon, that was the rankest sort of southron heresy - which was queer, since he always took lemon in his morning beer.

Not sure what it might mean, though, if indeed it means anything.

I can't remember if it's in the books as well, but in the show Roose doesn't drink wine. So of the wine at the Red Wedding is Arbour red or gold could him refusing it mean something or not, or just him not drinking wine in general?

He drinks hippocras. There are instances of Cersei, among others drinking that, too.

This reminds me of Cersei's quote.

Mace Tyrell claimed his daughter was still virgin, but Cersei had her doubts. Joffrey had been murdered before he could bed the girl, but she had been wed to Renly first... A man may prefer the taste of hippocras, yet if you set a tankard of ale before him, he will quaff it quick enough.

Some of the animal symbolism from here would also apply to ASOIAF http://www.historyofpainters.com/animals.htm

Lannister - Lion - a symbol of power, majesty, wisdom, tyranny, viciousness, dignity, and leadership.

Vargo Hoat - Goat - symbol of Satan. Satan is often depicted as a horned and hoofed goat-like creature.

Varys - Spider - associated with betrayal, ill begotten schemes, and death... symbolizes a spinner of fate, intrigue in the court.

Dragonfly -symbol of free will (Prince Duncan who gave up his crown and married a woman he loved)

Unicorn a symbol of purity, harmony, the arrival of Spring. (Rickon Stark's return from Skagos?)

Might be noteworthy that there is a tale from the brother Grimm about Turnips, IMO, this means, that there must be some deeper meaning for the turnip in folklore, even if google fails to come up with a proper answer.... http://www.gnuctt.ne...the-turnip.html

I'm not really 'quoting' myself ;) just wanted to add that turnips, according to the tale of the brothers Grimm might signify a hidden wealth. So...we have at least three possible meaning of turnip in folklore and myth - though of course that tells us little as to GRRM reasoning behind it.

1) hidden wealth in German folklore - the giant turnip monster who brings wealth to the poor soldier

2) associated to Shamhain, used to carve lanterns to represent and/or protect from spirits according to Irish/Celtic traditions

3) representing love in ancient Scottland, (though I'm not sure about the source).

I find it interesting that turnips and beets are both associated to Shamhain...also found two idioms on turnips from accross the atlantic: Squeeze blood out of a turnip; Fall off the turnip truck...so...must we read all the books to find mentions of beets and turnips, or are there some very meaningful ones, at the top of your heads?

On another note, I've just found a passage, apple/onion, and the choice between the onion or the apple is repeated 4 times by Hairy Hal. p.271-274. Not sure it means anything, but anyway. In the same chapter apple is wanted by a wildling woman for her sick son to 'set him right'. Apple is mentioned a lot, in that chapter. Jon thinks they might run out of apples...

I can't help but think, apple = forbidden fruit...though at the same time as the idiom suggest "an apple a day, keeps the doctor away"...This is the first instance where Jon invites the Wildlings to serve at the Wall...I wonder if there's anything behind the choice between onion or apple. Why not onion or turnip?

The black brothers began to pass out food. They'd brought slabs of hard salt beef, dried cod, dried beans, turnips, carrots, sacks of barley meal and wheaten flour, pickled eggs, barrels of onions and apples. "You can have an onion or an apple," Jon heard Hairy Hal tell one woman,"but not both. You got to pick." [...]

"Hal, what was it that you told this woman?"

Hal looked confused. "About the food, you mean? An apple or an onion? that's all I said. They got to pick."

"You have to pick," Jon Snow repeated. "All of you.[...]those who want to help us hold the Wall, return to Castle Black with me and I'll see you armed and fed. The rest of you, get your turnips and your onions and crawl back inside your holes."

Well there is certainly a strong theme of sacrifice in Dany's story so far, that would tie in with this notion somewhat.

(And I'm still really really really not sure if there is a Dany/lamb connection, but if there is, the idea of the sacrificial lamb might be interesting. Personally I've gone very cold on this idea, but again, just throwing it out there.)

I've just noticed that while there is neither pig/boar served at the Frey wedding, there is lamb. so, that's another potential hint that GRRM does use the trope of the sacrificial lamb. Has this been mentioned before?

I've only found one mention of hippocras, and it's quite clearly in a context of hypocrisy, on Cersei's part. p. 511 paperback, AFFC

I've just noticed that while there is neither pig/boar served at the Frey wedding, there is lamb. so, that's another potential hint that GRRM does use the trope of the sacrificial lamb. Has this been mentioned before?

I've only found one mention of hippocras, and it's quite clearly in a context of hypocrisy, on Cersei's part. p. 511 paperback, AFFC

Maybe Robb had to be sacrificed in order to make the North an independent kingdom? It's definitely not one yet, but maybe it will be.

I believe that the blood oranges in Sansa's chapters are really foreshadowing. She probably won't stay nearly as innocent as she is now...all the references to blood ("You have juice on your face", "Keep your hands clean") suggest that she (and Littlefinger) will kill someone (literally or figuratively) or maybe even that Sansa will kill Littlefinger. Of course, all these hints might also point to Marillion and Lysa, but I like to think there's more to it than that. After all, she will slay a giant in a snow castle (unless Robert's doll was meant, but I don''t believe that.)

It would be interesting to see if Sansa eats Lemoncakes in her TWOW chapters. She promised Sweetrobin ridiculous amounts of them, IIRC, but will she want to eat some herself?

Maybe. "Alayne" currently likes lemoncakes--in fact, that might be why Sweetrobin is so mad about them, as Alayne speculates in her POV--but if the lemon = innocence metaphor holds, she might lose her taste for them.

Interesting thread. I'm no expert on symbolism, but I do try to note when recurring items like food pop up in PoVs.

As for the lemons-Arya must bathe in lemonwater every time she comes back to the HoBaW during her Cat of the Canals days in order to wash off the smell of fish. I suppose the cleansing theme with lemons is there. But, lemons also make me think of Lem Lemoncloak and how soured he's been by his tragedies.

Apples

Littlefinger eats an apple and throws the apple into some water before he asks Ned if he'd like to know where Catelyn is staying at in King's Landing.

Arya, Hot Pie, and Gendry come across dead men hanging from apple trees after their escape from Harrenhal. Arya remembers her list and thinks of Jaqen before eats a wormy apple.

The inn of the Kneeling Man had apple trees growing in the back, and Lady Smallwood serves the BWB meals with apples during their stay at Acorn Hall.

At one point, Arya throws crabapples at Gendry when she gets angry at him. She later recalls this again, including once in her Red Wedding chapter.

The prologue of AFFC starts off with Pate and his group of friends talking and playing around with apples. Alleras is especially keen in shooting down apples thrown by Mollander. Alleras shoots down a wormy apple, but he doesn't shoot down the one that Mollander throws to get Alleras' opinions on the dragons.

Cersei serves some apples to the supper she shares with Falyse and Qyburn before she sends Falyse with Qyburn.

Jaime tells Devan that Addam Marbrand's scouts have come across men in the Riverlands hanged on crabapple trees with crabapples trapped in their mouths. The murders were likely done by the BWB.

When Davos is first in White Harbor, he buys a dry and mealy apple from a vendor.

Davos felt a pang of guilt. They came here for refuge, to a city untouched by the fighting, and here I turn up to drag them back into the war. He took a bite of the apple and felt guilty about that as well.

The vendor gives him information about the Manderlys and the city, and while Davos doesn't think the apple was worth a half a penny, he thinks the information he received was worth the payment.

Jaime eats a meal with dried apples before Brienne comes back to tell him about Sansa and the Hound in ADWD.

While we all know Sansa loves her lemoncakes, it seems as though Tommen is a big fan of applecakes. He eats some during meals with Margaery and he's noted as a great lover of applecakes by Jaime.

I'm sorry, I think I described it wrong. Maybe the lemon refers to Jon.

AGOT, page 781:

Being half-asleep, I can't quite figure out what this might mean. Any ideas?

Oh, there are also plums in here. Coincidence, or do they mean something?

I think the plums are almost certainly a symbol for duplicity or a sign of danger to the character who is mentioned. So I'm not sure what they may mean in that Mormont/Jon scene... I was re-reading ASOS yesterday, however, and found, p. 510-511, the description of dinner shared by Roose Bolton, Jaime Lannister and Brienne of Tarth. Guess what Roose is eating in between two sentences? PRUNES. PRUNES = PLUMS

The northman helped himself to a prune and ate it with small sharp bites. "Do try these Ser, Jaime. They are most sweet and help move the bowels as well."[...]
"[...]Alys Karstark would be all that remains of Lord Rickard's progeny." He chose another prune.[...]
"[...]His Grace King Robb is wed." Bolton spit a prune pit into his hand and put it aside.[...]
"It would be unconscionable of me to deprive Lord Vargo of both his prizes."The Lord of the Dreafort reached out to pick another prune. "Were I you, my lady, I should worry less about Starks and rather more about sapphire."

Also in this chapter two mentions of 'bowels', once from Botlon, once from Jaime, foreshadowing?

Maybe Robb had to be sacrificed in order to make the North an independent kingdom? It's definitely not one yet, but maybe it will be.

I noticed a nice parallel between the RW and the Tyrion chapter, where Sansa and Tyrion are being told of the events. p. 712-713 ASOS, paperback. Tyrion and Sansa dine on 'overcooked pease' and mutton.

On Bolton again, dinner with Jaime and Brienne p.510 ASOS, paperback. Bolton does drink hippocras with his prunes...I think the prunes are for his duplicity/omitting of truths concerning the things he talks about; the hippocras for falsness concerning his behavior/his treatment of Jaime and Brienne.

There's something about lamprey. Can't quite figure it out. It's such a disgusting creature.

Some things of interest.

Manderly love lamprey and he's rich enough to eat a lot, but he also shares it readily, especially at feasts. LF loves his lamprey pie, but he takes it from others (like Tanda).

Ser Balon Swann shuns the lamprey pie that he's served when meeting with the Martells in Dorne.

I'm really curious who was sending Davos the lamprey while he was jailed at Dragonstone.

On Lamprey :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamprey

1) lamprey, a parasite that attaches itself to other fish and sucks their blood.

2) lamprey, a fish widely eaten by the upper class in the middle ages.

3) lamprey as bait.

Manderly serving lamprey can have three different motives. Manderly is a parasite. Manderly serves the fish because he is wealthy and lives on the coast - a motive for authencity. Manderly uses the fish as a bait for Davos...or the bait is Davos himself...or Rickon?

And as has been stated above, Lady Tanda serves lamprey to her suitors >> here again two motives: lamprey for authenticity, and lamprey as a bait.

Are there any other mentions of lamprey?

Oh, and in folklore lamprey has 'nine eyes' >> 'nine-eyed heels'.

Well it seems the lamprey pie in ASOIAF is associated with trying to butter someone up, or buy their favor. Offering/feeding someone lamprey pie means they want something from you. Manderly consumes his fair share is a sign of decadent self-indulgence, which creates a particular impression to outsiders (a man too overfed and pampered to be a threat, perhaps) but he shares his lamprey pie strategically, or so it seems.

Manderly feeds Davos lamprey to send him a message about his real intent, and to soften him up for an arduous mission to Cannibal Island. Lady Tanda offers lamprey pie to entice a husband for Lollys; a hard sell, that one.

ETA:

One of the freshest threads I have had the pleasure of reading in a long time. You know as a reader that there must be hidden meaning in all the food descriptions but pulling it all together is a hugh task. Bravo to the OP. Have a glass of Arbor Gold on me :leer:

I find my mind wandering and my eyes glazing over - and sometimes feel a little queasy when I read one of GRRM's food fetish chapters (except the Sister's Stew - yum!!). I love to eat good food but I don't love reading about it ad nauseum, apparently, or maybe it's reading about people eating food that I find unappetizing...

Now on the other hand, THIS food code thread makes me think I should give the food descriptions more attention for symbolic reasons. Still, larks tongue? Bleargh.

I think the plums are almost certainly a symbol for duplicity or a sign of danger to the character who is mentioned. So I'm not sure what they may mean in that Mormont/Jon scene... I was re-reading ASOS yesterday, however, and found, p. 510-511, the description of dinner shared by Roose Bolton, Jaime Lannister and Brienne of Tarth. Guess what Roose is eating in between two sentences? PRUNES. PRUNES = PLUMS

Also in this chapter two mentions of 'bowels', once from Botlon, once from Jaime, foreshadowing?

I always assumed that Bolton's obsession with prunes was the same as his obsession with leaches. He is obsessed with purging in general - excrement and bad blood, respectively. It's interesting to see the prune references laid out like that. Bolton makes a comment about some unpleasant or irritating reality and then eats a cleansing prune.

First off...props to OP. Awesome connections. GRRM has mentioned in interviews that his love of food is expressed in the books, you made an excellent analysis of recurring items.

The talk of pies, listed here.....

And no one discussed pies till now? Hmmm...

First, has anyone noticed how pies in ASOIAF are almost always meat pies? And that unlike in our world, the term "wedding cake" has been exchanged with "wedding pie"? On Dany's wedding to Drogo, there are Dothraki blood pies, on Joffrey's is famous pigeon pie, there are no pies on RW, but the pies served by Manderly in Winterfell on Ramsay/Jeyne's wedding are deeply rooted in RW. I believe this exchange of cake with pies also serves as derision of weddings in ASOIAF. The perverse way to show us that weddings in ASOIAf are not about love and happiness.

I will continue digging this hole of mine... :). We all know what wedding is supposed to be. Nice ceremony, music, lots of food, and then the cake. It is one of those familiar images we as readers know. So, when it comes to medieval weddings in ASOIAF, everything is there - ceremony, food, music all adapted to fit the time setting. And then there is cake. Or, in ASOIAF universe - pie. Pies become related to weddings in most occasions, and most vivid images of pies are those at weddings, especially the one on PW, and those Manderly served to Boltons. Only, while eating the pie Joffrey starts choking (not from pie, but nevertheless), and Manderly's pies are well-known for their ingridients. So, there is quite macarbe symbolism behind something that is supposed to have very positive imagery. What I want to say, it's not about having the cakes, it's about parallels we as readers make between imagery we are familiar with and the imagery of ASOIAF.

.....made me think of pork. How, and where it is mentioned in the story. Pork is, of course, a cousin to boar, and is insinuated to be.....gulp....you know...shudder....human. I need to think on your logic of boar, and the scenes in which we see pork as well, also where it is unmentionably human. Not that it will unlock a huge mystery, but just to see if there is a pattern. Have you spoken of this? If it was in the thread I missed it.

Archived