Why do people think Tyrion riding a dragon is "absurd" ?

Really, it's not so much Targ blood as Valyrian. The Targs were the main Valyrian house in Westeros. Other Valyrian-descended people should have the same ability if blood is actually a deciding factor.

Yes. Since Dany is descended from Daeron II and Myriah Martell, she is at most 50% Targ. IMHO i don't believe that Targ/Valyrian blood is a prerequisite for being a dragon rider.

Because it would be the ultimate wish fulfillment and validation for him and I as a reader don't think that he deserves a bit of it. He's incredibly ill-suited to be a dragon rider not because of his physical features, but because he's a vengeful, petty, small-minded asshole who would revel in the power that bonding with the dragon would give him and unleash even more death, devastation and suffering on people for his own gain and satisfaction. I don't want either of Greyjoy brothers to bond with a dragon either and the idea of anyone using Dany's absence to tame any one of her dragons and then basically force themselves into her inner circle pisses me off, though I am far from being a fan of hers. I would be the happiest ASOIAF fan ever if Viserion and Rhaegal just set Tyrion's and Victarion's asses on fire, but since Tyrion has plot armour, I would be content with only Victarion becoming a dragon snack and Tyrion being rejected by both dragons and having to act as the dragon lore adviser/saddle designer while not being a rider.

I do not think Tyrion can be excluded as dragonrider simply because you do not like him. And so sad that you only like the books if they go your way.

I do not think Tyrion can be excluded as dragonrider simply because you do not like him. And so sad that you only like the books if they go your way.

Hahaha, basically. "[something happening] is absurd because I don't want it to happen" is the weakest argument to date in this thread.

Hahaha, basically. "[something happening] is absurd because I don't want it to happen" is the weakest argument to date in this thread.

Yep.. just like "[something happening] is totally possible because I would enjoy it to happen" :laugh:

When everybody resorts to personal preferences, it is just a sign that there are not enough clues in the books to sustain any of the two sides. :shocked:

Yes. Since Dany is descended from Daeron II and Myriah Martell, she is at most 50% Targ. IMHO i don't believe that Targ/Valyrian blood is a prerequisite for being a dragon rider.

Based on genetics you cant assume Dany is 50% targ blood.

During inbreeding, two 50% parents can give birth to a 100% offspring.

In other words 2 heterozygous parents can birth to a homozygous offspring.

Reference- I have done genetics before.

Based on genetics you cant assume Dany is 50% targ blood.

During inbreeding, two 50% parents can give birth to a 100% offspring.

In other words 2 heterozygous parents can birth to a homozygous offspring.

Reference- I have done genetics before.

Yeah.. in principle.

But the probability of such event? Something along 0.0000000000000000000000..........0000001%

Unless you want to restrict your view to a veeery limited number of genes.

Yeah.. in principle.

But the probability of such event? Something along 0.0000000000000000000000..........0000001%

Unless you want to restrict your view to a veeery limited number of genes.

You cant make such an assumption because we do not know which one is the dominant gene.

You cant make such an assumption because we do not know which one is the dominant gene.

Wait. One thing is to claim that two 50% produce a 100% pure individual - which means only the genes of the right line survive - the other one is talking about dominant genotypes and the resulting phenotypes. I thought you were talking about the former concept, not the latter one. In such a case one can not speak of purity, but dominance. I did not make any assumption, I simply thought you were giving another meaning to your words.. ..because you talked about homo-zygote and such, which does fall in the category of gene purity more than dominant gene expression in the case of repeated incest along a blood line.. I apologize, my fault. :-)

Wait. One thing is to claim that two 50% produce a 100% pure individual - which means only the genes of the right line survive - the other one is talking about dominant genotypes and the resulting phenotypes. I thought you were talking about the former concept, not the latter one. In such a case one can not speak of purity, but dominance. I did not make any assumption, I simply thought you were giving another meaning to your words. :-)

Yes

In terms of human blood it is all about dominance, like AO, BO, BB, AA, AB, OO,

Assuming Targ blood is type A which are AO or AA

And Dornish blood is type B which are BB or BO

Daeron II and Myriah have possible crosses

AA x BB would produce all offspring with AB blood type which are all mixed

Now let say targs do incest for a few generations.

AB x AB would give offspring of AA, AB, AB, BB

So only 25% of offspring having dornish blood in this generation and 50% chance of mixed blood and 25% chance targ blood.

Next generation targs do incest again due to them looking for valyrian looks

AA and AB cross producing, AA,AB,AA, AB

So now we have 50% offspring with targ blood and 50% with mixed blood.

Due to targs looking for incest again, valryian looks will marry the heir

So AA x AA which = AA, AA, AA, AA

Which means the whole generation has 100% targ blood.

My point is that targ incest does keep the bloodline pure, so Dany could still be 100% "blood of the dragon"

Yep.. just like "[something happening] is totally possible because I would enjoy it to happen" :laugh:

When everybody resorts to personal preferences, it is just a sign that there are not enough clues in the books to sustain any of the two sides. :shocked:

Hahaha, that's also true. It's one thing to say "I don't want X to happen because I would hate it." It's another thing entirely to say "X will never happen because I would hate it."

Hahaha, that's also true. It's one thing to say "I don't want X to happen because I would hate it." It's another thing entirely to say "X will never happen because I would hate it."

Yes thats true most peoples reason of Tyrion not being a targ is that it would ruin the Tywin and Tyrion complex(which is X will never happen because I would hate it) , what if GRRM knows what he is doing?

Yes thats true most peoples reason of Tyrion not being a targ is that it would ruin the Tywin and Tyrion complex(which is X will never happen because I would hate it) , what if GRRM knows what he is doing?

What?! You mean he is not writing the book using a couple of D&D dices and totally drunk?

Amazing! :laugh:

Yes

So only 25% of offspring having dornish blood in this generation and 50% chance of mixed blood and 25% chance targ blood.

My point is that targ incest does keep the bloodline pure, so Dany could still be 100% "blood of the dragon"

This is entirely plausible, however, we must also consider that Aegon V and Jaehaerys II refused arranged marriages and married for love. We currently dont know who they married and thats why IMO i believe that Dany is at most 50% Targ.

All Quentyn proves is that Targaryen blood isn't the only factor in being a dragon rider.

I think most will agree that Targ/Valyrian blood alone isn't sufficient. The only question is, is it necessary? The answer seems to be "Yes."

Yes

OTOH, blood in the sense used doesn't refer to actual blood any more than dragon refers to an actual dragon. Taking things exactly literally you'd need to be Type D (actual dragon blood) to be a dragon rider.

Archived