I doubt i'd do any differently than Randyll Tarly regarding Sam

The Frosted King

I apologize for not contributing properly. :( I can sense the disappointment and sarcasm in your words and that wounds me. I shall make up for it with my next post - perhaps with my next OP? I have a good feeling about that for some reason.

Its ok, this time, but dont let it happen again brah. And that next post or op had better be really good.

Eh all the Sam love really only comes from a woman's instinct to "nurture." Kinda the lost puppy syndrome. He's such a bumbling goob.

I agree. Hes very whiney and annoying.

Eh all the Sam love really only comes from a woman's instinct to "nurture." Kinda the lost puppy syndrome. He's such a bumbling goob.

My theory as to why some male readers dislike Sam is because they see themselves in him and don't know how to deal with that. While Sam is a great person, he is not masculine, and perhaps insecure men don't like to see their own "failings" reflected so vividly before them. ;)

My theory as to why some male readers dislike Sam is because they see themselves in him and don't know how to deal with that. While Sam is a great person, he is not masculine, and perhaps insecure men don't like to see their own "failings" reflected so vividly before them. ;)

yeah i feel like such a fail for not leading armies and being amazing at swordplay :bawl:

I apologize for not contributing properly. :( I can sense the disappointment and sarcasm in your words and that wounds me. I shall make up for it with my next post - perhaps with my next OP? I have a good feeling about that for some reason.

Eadie! :grouphug:

Yeah I weigh 900 pounds and cringe in fear at the sight of a dusty floorboard. YA GOT ME.

Well we all know this isn't true in my case, I cant speak for anyone else, but I dislike sam because he annoys me allot and i don't like listening to him complain about being a coward. He is not useless, just annoying.

Also

Eadie! :grouphug:

you just got slimed

What bugs me about him is that even though he's done a few amazing things (how many men have killed an Other and a wight?) he continues to beat himself up and basically self-reinforces his feelings of inadequacy. We all have insecurities, but Sam magnifies his in his head to the extent that they paralyze him. OK, he's growing out of that, but the process is soooooo slow.

Easy, teach the boy to listen to his brother and to rely on him in martial matters. let them bond, encourage them working as a team. As doran and Oberyn or Willas and Garlan. You dont need your kid to be rambo and there is to much in "goverment" besides war.

Yes. According to Randyll logic, I suppose fat Wyman Manderly could never be a competent lord or dangerous enemy. What's the use in smarts that let you serve delicious Frey pie to your foes even as your plot to crush them is unfolding in secret if you can't ride a horse like a manly manly man?

Randyll is good on the battlefield, but the difference between him and Tywin in the horrible fathers contest is that Tywin, however much he despised his dwarf son, was able to recognise Tyrion's alternative abilities and the contribution to stable rule that can be made outside the battlefield. But Tywin's fear of being laughed at won over his intelligence and he lost a great Lannister asset and his life for it. Likewise, what Sam has been able to accomplish away from Randyll even after a lifetime of physical and emotional abuse suggests that he could have been an asset to the Tarlys if Randyll hadn't been so incapable of comprehending that macho warfare isn't the only way to win power and influence.

What bugs me about him is that even though he's done a few amazing things (how many men have killed an Other and a wight?) he continues to beat himself up and basically self-reinforces his feelings of inadequacy. We all have insecurities, but Sam magnifies his in his head to the extent that they paralyze him. OK, he's growing out of that, but the process is soooooo slow.

Considering how brutally he was abused by his father, it's hardly a surprise that Sam has trouble feeling confident in his self-worth and in the skills he's discovered or developed away from Randyll's lifelong reinforcement of the idea of his absolute worthlessness. Randyll's unforgiving treatment of Sam led to Sam's tendency to see his flaws as greater than they are.

Oh, good. I've been waiting for a thread defending Randyll. Here's my take.

He's not a good father.

He's not a reasonable man.

He's a douchebag (Brienne's encounters included.)

But coming from his POV I can understand why he'd want Sam disinherited. The best defense for Randyll though?

At least he didn't really kill him...

Tarly went too far, certainly. I mean its understandable why a man such as him would want Sam to be more like himself, sure its a narrow minded way of thinking but that's hardly surprising. I mean Tarly is hardly the man to respect book learning, sadly. So no, I cant support the Tarly's way of raising Sam. It's especially unfortunate that such a man, with connections to the Hightowers and Oldtown in general, can't understand the advantage his house might get by having Sam as a maester.

I feel the exact opposite. That's why I like Sam. He's not the least bit macho and quite vocal about it. I'd befriend a million Samwell Tarlys before I'd befriend a Daemon Blackfyre/Daario Naharis type (though don't get me wrong, I find nothing wrong with Daario.)

Not at all, I just despise weakness be it physical or of will. Seeing such people mocked, humiliated and beaten on a regular basis teaches you to not want to be one of them.

I think if Tywin just beat Tyrion enough, he might not end up being a dwarf. All he needed was proper stimulation. Also, now I understand where Joffrey was going with Sansa.))) She's more badass now, and it's all thanks to him. So misunderstood!

I agree. Hes very whiney and annoying.

No wonder y'all love Stannis that much. Maybe Tarly should have had burned Sam while he was at it. For the realm.

As a lord with people looking to me for security and peace, a son like Sam is an anomaly and dangerous, at that.

I wouldn't enjoy it, but I'd do everything in my power to get him to be the man Horn Hill needs him to be.

A good lord is not necessarily someone who is strong and fierce.

Gregor Clegane is probably one of the most strong men in the Kingdoms, but this doesn't make him a good lord.

I believe that Randyll was motivated by vanity rather than actual concern for the people of Horn Hill. He was ashamed that Sam was not born a soldier.

The worst part is that Randyll's attempts focused on sadism rather than actual education.

• He had Sam wearing women's clothing-this is ridiculous, pointless and just mean
  • He forced Sam to sleep in chainmail-Jaime Lannister, Barristan Selmy, Jon Snow, Sandor Clegane, Robert Baratheon apparently skipped that lesson in their training as warriors. It wasn't meant to make Sam strong, it simply meant to harm him.
  • Have warlocks from Qarth to prepare a bath for Sam in aurochs blood....Ok, this clear;y shows how desperate Randyll was and ignorant. Auroch's blood? Really?

Archived