Were we supposed to blame Sansa for Lady?

WeirwoodTreeHugger

I give him credit for saying that. Still, I do not blame him for reaching the decisions he did that day.

That being said, and sorry for me being so petty :), but I want to hear you saying it, Sansa has no blame in Lady's death.

Here we go again, I never said that Joff was Ned's murderer at the time of trial, he later became Ned's murderer and LL sided with him. you can twist the facts as much as you want but you can't change them.

SS (not the Nazi one) never sided with Joffrey after her father's death. It is written in the great series called "A song of ice and fire" by an author George R.R. Martin. Splendid books, I recommend you to read them, there is even online forum where readers discuss the series.

LL is Lady Lannister by the way.

No one in the books, except of tragic Lord Stannis, called Sansa Lady Lannister. She is widely known as Sansa Stark, which just with Cersei, Lysa, Lynesse shows us how that marriage was fruitless business.

That being said, and sorry for me being so petty :), but I want to hear you saying it, Sansa has no blame in Lady's death.

Well, if I don't blame Robert then I certainly can't blame Sansa, can I?

Since it's an imperfect world, I have to add that a part of me still wishes she told the truth on that day.

Here we go again, I never said that Joff was Ned's murderer at the time of trial, he later became Ned's murderer and LL sided with him. you can twist the facts as much as you want but you can't change them.

Sansa hardly has prophetic abilities and was not to know Joff and LF planned her father's death.

Also as said previously . Sansa didn't side with Joff: she remained neutral.

Also what good would her testimony have done? Joff was in every position (whether we like it or not) to hurt Mycah if he wanted and Cersei would have argued that. Although terrible behaviour, the Crown Prince attacking a peasant is not something most are bothered about, especially the Lannisters. Hitting the Crown Prince however is a completely different matter. Again the Hedge Knight highlights that attacking a Crown Prince to rescue an assaulted peasant is likely to get you into trouble.

What Arya did was very brave and noble, but sadly also extremely stupid. Again I blame Ned, he should have been explained to Arya that the Crown Prince should be treated differently to her brothers. If anything this incident highlights the tropes that "brave and noble acts are recognised by a good and benevolent king " are not going to be rewarded as they would be in a standard fantasy tale.

I put the blame here on the adults: Cersei for insisting on it, Robert for ordering it and Ned for carrying it out. There is no scenario here where Lady isn't killed, nor any scenario where anyone is believed before Joffrey. If Sansa had backed up Arya's story, Cersei would have accused both of them of lying and had the animal killed anyway and Robert would have agreed to get her off his ass. The moral of the story, near as I can tell, is that Ned should have pushed back harder and been more insistent about not punishing an innocent animal. As Ned later explains to Arya, Sansa is more or less compelled to side with Joffrey, and wouldn't have had much success siding against him. The only person who might have had success — Ned — caved and later regretted it.

Did Ned explain to Arya in the books why Sansa felt compelled to side with Joffery? That happened on the show, but I looked for the scene in the book awhile back and couldn't find it. Sorry if someone else has already asked; I haven't read the entire thread.

It seems that many people blame Sansa for "lying," which she technically did by claiming to not remember what happened. However, because Joffery was bitten by a direwolf, Cersei wasn't going to back down, and Robert wasn't going to stand up to Cersei. Ned should have insisted that Lady be taken back to WF; she didn't bite anyone, and then she would not be a possible threat in KL. As it turns out, it's a good thing that Sansa didn't go against Joffery. She ends up being his prisoner, and given what a spiteful, sadistic little twerp he is things would have been even worse for her if he had a greater grudge against her.

Did Ned explain to Arya in the books why Sansa felt compelled to side with Joffery? That happened on the show, but I looked for the scene in the book awhile back and couldn't find it. Sorry if someone else has already asked; I haven't read the entire thread.

Saying that Apple Martini mixed books and TV show... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: . I have lived to see even that.

No, only in the show Ned explains Arya that Sansa had to side with Joffrey, and it is so logical that some of us indeed inserted that scene in the books (I did it). What I believe Apple wanted to say is that Ned showed Arya that people all lie, and that Sansa's lie wasn't, just like Arya's without honor. On some level he equalizes those two lies because they were said to protect the loved ones. That is the reason why Ned insists that Arya must be in good relationship with Sansa. Basically, it was unsaid that people lie to protect those they love, which was the point of Arya's lie about Nymeria.

The time Sansa spilled the beans is an issue for a different thread.

Can you provide convincing evidence that Cersei would not have ordered Lady dead if Sansa had told the truth? Do you really think she was ever going to take anybody's side over Joffrey. She wanted revenge for Joffrey's boo boo and Robert was the only one who had the power to stop her.

You would be right, about Sansa spilling the beans...belonging on another thread, if it wasn't for the fact that Sansa betrayed her family for the 2nd time by doing so...and lost someone that she loved as result of betraying her family. Spilling the beans to the Queen is just as much a betrayal to her family as lying about what happened with Joff herself and Arya....so I'll drop it on this thread after this. (but I kinda really think the two go hand in hand and show a pattern in Sansa)

I think the Queen would have found a way to get back at the Starks because Joff had a little boo boo, but I absolutely would say that had both the Stark girls told the same story (the truth btw) It was only because his daughters were telling different stories and 1 was defending the little shit of a prince and the other one wasn't that gave any kind of opening for Lady to die.

Had both girls told the same story (both Ned and Robert already knew Joff and Sansa were lying anyway) there is no way Lady would have been killed. It was because Sansa lied in front of the King that forced Ned to even consider it, let alone allow it. How not? Had both Stark girls told the same story, both Ned and Robert would have told Cersei to sit on a spike and spin.

Sansa lying in front of the King and traveling court that gave Ned no other recourse...since Sansa supported Joff's story, there had to be some kind of punishment.

remember that Jaimie was already out hunting for Arya so that he could kill her, if I recall correctly (Jamie recalls that night when traveling to Riverrun in AFfC....it was sheer luck that Jaimie and the Lannisters didn't find her first.

How can you say that Lady DIDN'T die because Sansa straight up lied? That's exactly why she died. What proof is there to offer? The ONLY reason Lady died was because Sansa lied and supported Joff-going against her sister, so it was 2 against 1. Because Sansa lies to the king, straight to his face (again both Ned and Robert know she is lying) but because Sansa lies, neither Robert or Ned have any recourse to support 1) Lady NOT dying when the Queen asks for it 2) Joff's "assault" going unpunished

Seriously, had both Stark girls told the truth then it is two against one.... and 1) Sansa does not get caught in a lie in front of the King 2) Both Robert and Ned (since neither much likes the queen) have no reason to allow Cersei to call for Lady's death. Had Sana not lied there is no way Robert or Ned allow Cersei and Joff to get what they want.

I don't understand how someone can't see that it was because Sansa lied that allowed Lady's death to even be possible??? Had she not lied, then neither Ned's nor Robert's hands are tied...it was ONLY because Sansa lies that there is no recourse for them to tell the Queen no, which Cersei knows.

As far as what the Queen would have done if Lady wasn't killed is moot...Cersei already had Jaimie out looking for Arya so that Jaimie could freaking kill her!!! This was all before they were all taken in front of the King. Cersei from the start wanted a Stark dead because her son is a little shit.

100%, if Sansa doesn't lie, Lady is NOT killed. (It is only because Sansa lies, that allows for the Queen to demand Lady's death in the first place)

But all this is pointless anyway, both wolves were doomed the instant they left Winterfell for Kingslanding. There is no way dire wolves would be allowed in the capital, let alone at court.

How can you say that Lady DIDN'T die because Sansa straight up lied? That's exactly why she died.

But Sansa didn't tell any lie about Lady. Nor did she keep silence about anything related to Lady. Nobody in the room had any doubt that Lady did nothing wrong whatsoever.

Hmm, let's see.

Me: Hannibal just broke forum rules!

Mladen: No, he did not!

Rapsie: I... don't know, don't remember...

Forum Guru: Okay, let's ban Apple Martini then.

Would you say it's Rapsie's fault that AM was banned? I'd say, Forum Guru is completely insane.

I can see that the LL fans have moved from blaming Cersei to Ned to Joffrey and now it's Robert's fault apparently. All this fumbling from one character to another to avoid blaming the real person responsible, LL.

Actually, no.

At first pass the reader is led to think this hinges on Sansa, focusing on the lie, as well as the fact that readers tend to have built more sympathy for Ned and Arya at this point in the story, which obfuscates how fucked up and irresponsible the situation and adults are in this scene.

Looking at what's actually in the scene, and the fact that this scene even exists at all, shows quite plainly that Cersei, Ned and Robert have a monopoly on culpability in Lady's death. Robert's role is most alarming, because-- wait for it-- he's the fucking king.

This isn't about transferring blame. It's about taking a step back, looking at what's actually going on in this scene, and realizing A. Robert is an irresponsible king, who caves to nagging merely to avoid the hassle, which means Cersei is the one here holding the most power, B. Cersei is monstrously vindictive and out for Stark blood, C. Ned-- who is Hand-- has very little power, D. Ned is willing to side with the king over even his family by carrying out "justice" to an innocent, E. the fact that 2 kids almost died without trial (Jaime was hunting Arya, and the Hound ran down Mycah), F. Why the hell did Robert allow this to become an actual trial and not simply handled in his solar with Ned privately

Yes, yes, she was a scared kid and whatnot, but that doesn't change the fact that she sided with her father's muderer over her own blood.

Sansa stayed neutral and did not take either side. Ned's the one who carried out the sentence, despite ample opportunity to merely send Lady north alive. If anyone sided against their family here, it's Ned.

Also, we can't say for sure that there was no scenario imaginable were LL can say something to save Lady, making that claim with any certainty is absurd.

We can, though. Jaime tells us later that Cersei wanted Arya dead. Barring this, that wolf was going to be killed. To add, the wolf was sentenced to death after the trial had ended. What's more, in a room full of adults, why place this imperative on Sansa? Her father is the Hand of the King. Isn't his inability to actually sway anything what's alarming here?

How can you say that Lady DIDN'T die because Sansa straight up lied? That's exactly why she died.

Because it's truth and you're wrong... This is what happens when reason abandons debate...

But Sansa didn't tell any lie about Lady. Nor did she keep silence about anything related to Lady. Nobody in the room had any doubt that Lady did nothing wrong whatsoever.

Hmm, let's see.

Would you say it's Rapsie's fault that AM was banned? I'd say, Forum Guru is completely insane.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: ... Perfect.

You would be right, about Sansa spilling the beans...belonging on another thread, if it wasn't for the fact that Sansa betrayed her family for the 2nd time by doing so...and lost someone that she loved as result of betraying her family. Spilling the beans to the Queen is just as much a betrayal to her family as lying about what happened with Joff herself and Arya....so I'll drop it on this thread after this. (but I kinda really think the two go hand in hand and show a pattern in Sansa)

I think the Queen would have found a way to get back at the Starks because Joff had a little boo boo, but I absolutely would say that had both the Stark girls told the same story (the truth btw) It was only because his daughters were telling different stories and 1 was defending the little shit of a prince and the other one wasn't that gave any kind of opening for Lady to die.

Had both girls told the same story (both Ned and Robert already knew Joff and Sansa were lying anyway) there is no way Lady would have been killed. It was because Sansa lied in front of the King that forced Ned to even consider it, let alone allow it. How not? Had both Stark girls told the same story, both Ned and Robert would have told Cersei to sit on a spike and spin.

Sansa lying in front of the King and traveling court that gave Ned no other recourse...since Sansa supported Joff's story, there had to be some kind of punishment.

remember that Jaimie was already out hunting for Arya so that he could kill her, if I recall correctly (Jamie recalls that night when traveling to Riverrun in AFfC....it was sheer luck that Jaimie and the Lannisters didn't find her first.

I put the blame here on the adults: Cersei for insisting on it, Robert for ordering it and Ned for carrying it out. There is no scenario here where Lady isn't killed, nor any scenario where anyone is believed before Joffrey. If Sansa had backed up Arya's story, Cersei would have accused both of them of lying and had the animal killed anyway and Robert would have agreed to get her off his ass. The moral of the story, near as I can tell, is that Ned should have pushed back harder and been more insistent about not punishing an innocent animal. As Ned later explains to Arya, Sansa is more or less compelled to side with Joffrey, and wouldn't have had much success siding against him. The only person who might have had success — Ned — caved and later regretted it.

Cersei Lannister: The original helicopter parent.

I agree that the chapter was about Robert most of all, not about Sansa. I've never understood why so many denigrate Sansa for what happened in this scene. She was between a rock and a hard place, forced to lie on behalf of Joffrey or risk angering and alienating the boy she was betrothed to and his mother. Instead she chose the middle ground, feigning that she couldn't remember.

In any case, it's Joffrey's bullying behavior that started this and his petulance afterwards, Cersei's overprotectiveness and sense of entitlement and Robert's indulgence and acquiescence that led to Lady's death.

I agree that the chapter was about Robert most of all, not about Sansa. I've never understood why so many denigrate Sansa for what happened in this scene. She was between a rock and a hard place, forced to lie on behalf of Joffrey or risk angering and alienating the boy she was betrothed to and his mother. Instead she chose the middle ground, feigning that she couldn't remember.

In any case, it's Joffrey's bullying behavior that started this and his petulance afterwards, Cersei's overprotectiveness and sense of entitlement and Robert's indulgence and acquiescence that led to Lady's death.

Aye. The denigration of Sansa is perpetuated by those who have a bias against her and the dreams she has of chivalry and grandeur. A lot of people who hate her happen to love Arya, and they judge the scene as an Arya vs Sansa view. Which is cheap, really.

Hmm, let's see.

(huh? What are you even talking about now? This makes no sense to me)

No one was talking about Lady...so how can anyone lie or not lie about Lady?

1) Sansa lies in front of Robert and Cersei supporting Joffrey (can this be debated? again, there is no talk about Lady)

2) Both Stark girls are telling different stories (can this be argued?)

3) Both Ned and Robert know Joff and Sansa are lying (can this be argue? Robert says straight up, I knew my shit of a son was lying-and Ned tells Arya Sansa lied to protect her betrothed)

4) Sansa is caught lying (which the King just told her not to do)

Can any of these be disputed?

Lady is only killed, after Sansa tells a different story from what her sister tells and LIES TO THE KING and her father

Now this is very simple...because Sansa is caught lying (Cersei, Robert, Ned all KNOW she is lying) Cersei knows she can make a demand (i.e. killing Lady) that will not only infuriate the Starks, but also, thanks to Sansa just lying, one that she knows can not be refused.

NONE of this would be possible if Sansa had not just lied...

If Sansa does not lie about what happened, Lady doesn't die as a result. (no one is lying about Lady- no one in the books is talking about Lady until the Queen brings it up after Sansa lies as a big F-U to both Robert and Ned.

1) Sansa lies in front of Robert and Cersei supporting Joffrey (can this be debated? again, there is no talk about Lady)

3) Both Ned and Robert know Joff and Sansa are lying (can this be argue? Robert says straight up, I knew my shit of a son was lying-and Ned tells Arya Sansa lied to protect her betrothed)

Can any of these be disputed?

Lady is only killed, after Sansa tells a different story from what her sister tells and LIES TO THE KING and her father

Now this is very simple...because Sansa is caught lying (Cersei, Robert, Ned all KNOW she is lying) Cersei knows she can make a demand (i.e. killing Lady) that will not only infuriate the Starks, but also, thanks to Sansa just lying, one that she knows can not be refused.

NONE of this would be possible if Sansa had not just lied...

If Sansa does not lie about what happened, Lady doesn't die as a result. (no one is lying about Lady- no one in the books is talking about Lady until the Queen brings it up after Sansa lies as a big F-U to both Robert and Ned.

What are you talkig about? This entire post is nonsensical by definition...

1. Sansa doesn't lie, she ommits the truth. She just didn't want to side with anyone, knowingly that the other party would hate her.

2. Sansa isn't telling any story... It can be argued.

3. Robert knew Joffrey was lying and Ned knew about Sansa.

4. Sansa isn't caught lying, because, she did not lie. She didn't corraborate Joffrey's version.

All of your claims can easily be disputed...

Wrong, if Sansa sides with Arya, Arya is now guilty of hittingthe Crown Prince (no matter what the cause is), plus in the truth there is a fact that Nymeria bit Joffrey, and that is something even Arya couldn't deny, and the main reason why Arya chased her away. Lady would die no matter what because Robert didn't want to punish children, Cersei wanted blood, and Ned was too obedient.

What's the connection between Sansa "lying" and Lady's murder? It makes no sense. Certainly not the way you presented it.

Neither does this:

Sansa is "caught lying"? When?! What does that even mean? Why can't a demand to kill innocent party be refused? Why would anyone kill random wolf because Sansa is "caught lying", which she isn't?

I am sorry, you're not making any sense whatsoever.

That's what happens, in my opinion.

Cersei is pissed, regardless of what actually happened. She's enraged because Joffrey is bit - one can even say it's an understandable reaction, certainly compared to some. She wants revenge on Starks, to hurt someone, anyone. She shrieks at Robert and compares him unfavorably to Rhaegar. Robert is weak, lazy, and just wants to go take another drink. Wolf is nothing to him. So he says "Ok, whatever, kill the wolf, just shut up and leave me alone".

It has nothing to do with justice, certainly isn't punishment for Sansa's silence, and entire thing happens because people with power lack moral core.

Ned's decision to actually carry out an order is an action for separate debate, IMO. Basically, we have two people with actual power. One is malicious and wants wolf dead no matter what. Certainly Cersei doesn't care that Sansa lies. Another can stop her, but has no motivation. So it is Cersei's decision and responsibility, and Robert is responsible also because he has power to stop it, and chooses not to.

What are you talkig about? This entire post is nonsensical by definition...

1. Sansa doesn't lie, she ommits the truth. She just didn't want to side with anyone, knowingly that the other party would hate her.

2. Sansa isn't telling any story... It can be argued.

3. Robert knew Joffrey was lying and Ned knew about Sansa.

4. Sansa isn't caught lying, because, she did not lie. She didn't corraborate Joffrey's version.

All of your claims can easily be disputed...

Wrong, if Sansa sides with Arya, Arya is now guilty of hittingthe Crown Prince (no matter what the cause is), plus in the truth there is a fact that Nymeria bit Joffrey, and that is something even Arya couldn't deny, and the main reason why Arya chased her away. Lady would die no matter what because Robert didn't want to punish children, Cersei wanted blood, and Ned was too obedient.

wow.. really? ok

Sansa lies about not remembering, so point to you sir, if you want to say that she doesn't lie but omits the truth, that is fine. You are correct.

As far as the rest of this nonsense.

The Queen was already out for Arya's blood from the very beginning, which she was denied.

This thread is talking about blaming Sansa for Lady's death, right? yes, no, maybe? Ok then.

The ONLY reason Lady dies is BECAUSE Sansa "omits the truth" and doesn't support her sister. Had Sansa and Arya told the same story Lady doesn't die...this is simple. It was only because Sansa declines to tell what happens and lies about not remembering that Lady's death is able to be called for in the first place.

Ned, Robert and Cersei all know what happened and know that Joff is lying about what happened.

The thread asks about placing blame on Sansa for Lady's death? This is 100% what happened. It was because of what Sansa does in front of the King and Queen that allows Cersei to call for Lady's death and prevents Ned and Robert from being able to argue with it.

Do you want to start a new thread saying that Sansa actually saves her sister's life answering how she did? Go ahead. Or that Cersei raised a horrible shit of a son? again, by all means go ahead.

But if Sansa had told the same story that Ayra does (meaning both Stark girls are calling the crown prince a liar) would there have been other repercussions? I am sure there would have been, but the Queen is only allowed to demand Lady's death without anyone denying it because of what Sansa says and doesn't say.

Yes it can. Sansa lies to stay NEUTRAL. She lies about remembering, so that she doesn't have to pick a side. She DID NOT "support" Joffrey.

Yes it can. Sansa doesn't tell any story. That's what the lie is about-- not saying anything.

Yes it can. Ned does not tell Arya that Sansa "lied to protect her betrothed." He tells her to forgive Sansa, and that Cersei is truly the one to blame.

You do know that Sansa's lie was merely about remembering. She didn't give testimony.

Sansa doesn't tell ANY story. I think you really need to reread this chapter. Her lie is about not telling a story at all.

Now, this is very simple. Robert had already made a ruling-- "you punish yours and I'll see to mine." AFTER this, Cersei asks for the wolf. AFTER the trial is over.

The one everyone knew was lying is Joff. He's the one who gave false testimony. By your logic, Ned could have called for Joff to be put down since everyone knew he was lying.

How in holy hell do you reconcile your belief that Sansa "lied to protect Joff, siding with him," with the idea that "Cersei felt vindictive about Sansa's lie and wanted to punish her"? Think about this-- does this really make sense? If Sansa truly did side with Joff, why the fuck would Cersei want to punish Sansa for that?

A direwolf bit Joffery. Cersei isn' t going to care if Sansa corroborated Arya or Joffery's version of events, a direwolf was going to die if Cersei gets her way. Sansa did lie by saying that she didn't remember because we all know that she did. She had already told Ned the truth. Thank goodness she did lie though, or Joffery would have really tortured her, and possibly killed her, when she was his prisoner after he killed her father. Maybe she's not as stupid as some people seem to suggest. For whatever reason, Sansa had the foresight to realize that it behooves her not to tell the truth in this situation. She should lauded here instead of criticized. Cersei would have Lady killed no matter what. Ned' s best chance would have been to argue for sending Lady back up North because direwolves are potentially dangerous animals, as evidenced by the fact the Nymeria bit the crown prince, but Lady didn't actually bite anyone. Robert would have probably agreed, and if not Lady dies anyway.

Archived