Mark Gatiss the Banker

Westeros

As far as race/colour goes, i expected something along the lines of (show)Syrio. Hes the only Bravosi we've met thats not a FM.

From the books we know Braavos was founded by 'refugees' from the Valyrian Freehold. So that could mean escapees from Valyrian conquest , escaped Valyrian slaves ... later apparently, after the doom, even fleeing Valyrians...after the Doom , apparently emigrees from all over Essos. After all Jaqen is Lorathi. So a melting pot of many people.

He will be fine! This is a great cast... Don't forget that in Sherlock he played Sherlock's older brother, Mycroft, who is by all accounts a mandarin (a high ranking British civil servant, probably involved in intelligence) so he already has the mold.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Seems to me it was stated in season 1 , I think it's in GOT , that , somehow Robert (and maybe the court) had already run up such a debt , before the war , that somebody was owed a ton of money. Seems we don't find out until later that it is the IB.

Also , methinks, that long meeting in Santa Fe of Dave, Dan and Bryan with George revealed something of the future story... which involves the Braavos and the Iron Bank ... which I think may not be hard to deduce.

Two times in the series we've heard the crown's financial situation. With ned and with Tryion.

When Ned talks about it Robert/LF have racked up a debt of six million. Three of it to Tywin. The rest undisclosed.

When Tyrion becomes Master of Coin the crown has been in a cival war for over a year and over half the the seven kingdoms were in rebellion and not paying taxes.

so the debt to Tywin is not disclosed but the Iron Bank debt is "tens of millions"

It's not hard to see why the Iron Bank is showing up

• 2 months later...

I hope they have him dress really eccentrically like in the book, but from what we've seen so far in the show I doubt it. It's reassuring to know that somewhat minor but cool characters like Tycho haven't been cut though. He'll have a pretty big season with season 5

going to the Wall and negotiating with Jon, then rescuing Theon outside Winterfell, then giving him to Yara and meeting Stannis. I can't wait.

Archived