Mark Gatiss the Banker

Westeros

Though HBO has officially refused to comment on the role that writer/actor Mark Gatiss will play, the Curtis Brown Agency website’s CV for their client now includes the name of his role: Tycho Nestoris, an emissary from the Iron Bank of Braavos.

What’s interestingx is that this character is introduced in A Dance with Dragons, well after some key events that have yet to play out in the show and may well not take place until late in the forthcoming fourth season. This may portend that his role will be somewhat different, or at least expanded, from what it is in the novel.

Some speculation below.read on >>>

Visit the Site!

They may consolidate his role with the bankers who show up in AFFC or just go right ahead and have the banking issue come up earlier than it did. They have already hinted about the financial subplot in earlier scenes (the small council complaining about the tournament spending, Tyrion begging Olenna for cash, Stannis having issues with that pirate) so they could have Tycho around much earlier.

I put forward my theory on the news post already so I'll paste it here:

Have you considered that Nestoris and Tywin may come to a financial agreement in season 4, which, upon Tywin's death, is rebuffed by Cersei (either in this season or the next)? This paves the way for things to play out as normal, albeit with one Iron Bank representative rather than two or three.

Hey, if they want to bring in book 4-5 stuff in earlier to help with continuity and to fill some gaps, I am cool with that. I am having a hard time picturing him in that role, but will look forward to watching him steadfastly following the money on his trusty steed.

Tho Braavos has been mentioned in each season so far , not sure the unsullied have any idea how important it is.

So I am expecting to see it turn up on the opening credits 'map'.

There might even be a short interior scene , on Braavos, with Nestoris getting his marching orders.

All this makes me think Arya is going to get to Braavos season 4, she may run into him , not sure.

It does pull forward a plot element early in a logical way.

Has implications for season 5.

This supports my theory about the Iron Bank having a much larger role in future books

My speculation is that the Iron Bank is scared the Others invasion of Westeros is gonna trash things so badly they don't get their money back! Which seems to be quite a sum.

I have had this feeling, that the Iron Bank is in cahoots with the Varys-Illyrio conspiracy , plus from the books there seems kind of connection between the IB and the Faceless Men.

I have always conjectured that when finally push comes to shove the IB uses the FM as it's enforcers.

Have you considered that Nestoris and Tywin may come to a financial agreement in season 4, which, upon Tywin's death, is rebuffed by Cersei (either in this season or the next)? This paves the way for things to play out as normal, albeit with one Iron Bank representative rather than two or three.

That would be nice, but frankly, it's just too smart. They don't usually think that far ahead.

Yeah, I think it's a given we can expect that Tcho Nestoris and Noho Dimittis (the Iron Bank representative who is rebuffed by Cersei in AFfC) will be one and the same.

What Tycho is going to do in season 4 is hard to determine right now. He may be a guest at the wedding, and/or interact/be on the verge of brokering a deal with Tyrion when he is arrested. The reason why he is there may be to put pressure on the Iron Throne to consolidate Lannister power in Westeros. I always suspected that debts of the Crown exploded upon Robert's death since most of the kingdoms did not recognize nor pay any taxes to King Joffrey (the North, the Riverlands, the Stormlands, the Reach, Dragonstone, and the Vale, possibly even Dorne). This changed over time, but the Crown had to pay it's soldiers and administration all the same, which may have resulted in Cersei boring much more money from the Iron Bank than one might suspect.

Tycho may start to wonder whether the Iron Bank is going to get its due, after all...

The other option is that Tycho is going to visit Stannis, putting his ADwD deal with the Iron Bank at the beginning of his campaign in the North. That could mean that Davos is going to Braavos in season 4 to hire sellswords who end up fighting for Stannis beyond the Wall. That could make sense since the showrunners apparently decided to make Mance much more of a threat than he was in the show. Perhaps it would need more men than Stannis has right now to defeat him.

From what I've heard, Mark Gattiss' role will be rather small next season, so my guess Tycho and the Iron Bank will be merely introduced next season. It may be that they will expand his role in the downfall of Cersei in seasons 5-6 much bigger. He may be crucial there, along with Margaery, Taena, the new High Septon, and Qyburn.

Have you considered that Nestoris and Tywin may come to a financial agreement in season 4, which, upon .....for things to play out as normal, albeit with one Iron Bank representative rather than two or three.

Might want to spoiler tag there...

What Tycho is going to do in season 4 is hard to determine right now. He may be a guest at the wedding, and/or interact/be on the verge of brokering a deal with Tyrion when he is arrested. The reason why he is there may be to put pressure on the Iron Throne to consolidate Lannister power in Westeros. I always suspected that debts of the Crown exploded upon Robert's death since most of the kingdoms did not recognize nor pay any taxes to King Joffrey (the North, the Riverlands, the Stormlands, the Reach, Dragonstone, and the Vale, possibly even Dorne). This changed over time, but the Crown had to pay it's soldiers and administration all the same, which may have resulted in Cersei boring much more money from the Iron Bank than one might suspect.

Seems to me it was stated in season 1 , I think it's in GOT , that , somehow Robert (and maybe the court) had already run up such a debt , before the war , that somebody was owed a ton of money. Seems we don't find out until later that it is the IB.

Also , methinks, that long meeting in Santa Fe of Dave, Dan and Bryan with George revealed something of the future story... which involves the Braavos and the Iron Bank ... which I think may not be hard to deduce.

Archived