But fire,
Fire cannot ever kill a dragon...

Our standards will ever boldly fly
A three headed dragon, red on Black
Our heritage of Silver hair, and indigo eyes
Those who escaped the Doom of Valyria

The Conquerers of the Seven kingdoms!
Awake the Dragon!

Plus, anyone seen GOT crackpot videos on YT?Some I've seen are pretty funny.

I've always toyed with the idea of making one vid like that, but the metal version of it.

But I'm stuck.

Only had one idea for a scene thus far...The part where Stannis' fleet nearly arrives at KL and Davos commands the drummer of the ship to start playing wardrums...instead of wardrums suddenly the drum intro of "Sons of Northern Darkness" pops out of nowhere haha!

Only had one idea for a scene thus far...The part where Stannis' fleet nearly arrives at KL and Davos commands the drummer of the ship to start playing wardrums...instead of wardrums suddenly the drum intro of "Sons of Northern Darkness" pops out of nowhere haha!

Heh, I like it! The music in that scene is already great, but everything's better with Immortal.

An email from Yagathai reminded me that I haven't listened to my favorite Stargate metal band, Pagan's Mind, in a long time. Goddamn, I love that band. Makes me happy every time I listen to them.

Hell yes, great prog/power band!

This calls for linkage - Pagan's Mind - "Entrance: Stargate"

I don't remember seeing them mentioned in these recent threads. Only discovered them myself a couple years back during one of my 'prog metal-only' jags that strike every so often. :)

I'd love those guys for the music alone...Stargate themes are a bonus!

Slayer - "Raining Blood"

There was a lot of Slayer talk in the last thread, plus it's one of my favorite lines ever.

slayer are iconic. they are that which all thrash bands will always be measured against and they are the unwitting fathers of death metal.

season in the abyss, reign in blood and south of heaven are three of the finest metal albums...fuck it albums of all time.

they opened the doors for me to filthier, heavier, darker, faster and even more brutal forms of metal. even with these doors open slayer still reigns supreme.

slayer are iconic. they are that which all thrash bands will always be measured against and they are the unwitting fathers of death metal.

season in the abyss, reign in blood and south of heaven are three of the finest metal albums...fuck it albums of all time.

they opened the doors for me to filthier, heavier, darker, faster and even more brutal forms of metal. even with these doors open slayer still reigns supreme.

I had a similar experience with Slayer. In the late 80s, my exposure to metal had been limited primarily to Maiden, Megadeth and Metallica, all great bands in their own right and makers of classic albums that still rank among my favorites.

Then when I was a sophomore in high school ca. 1990, a friend needed to visit this dude's house to borrow something guitar-related (a tab book maybe) and I tagged along. Anyway, dude was showing off a new guitar he'd just bought. He was a total badass. He played a bunch of stuff I was familiar with, and then launched into "Angel of Death." I was blown the fuck away because I'd never heard anything like it. Sounds weird to say this about a random dude jamming on his guitar, but it was a moment I'll never forget and it absolutely paved the way for the expansion of my taste in metal.

Then when I was a sophomore in high school ca. 1990, a friend needed to visit this dude's house to borrow something guitar-related (a tab book maybe) and I tagged along. Anyway, dude was showing off a new guitar he'd just bought. He was a total badass. He played a bunch of stuff I was familiar with, and then launched into "Angel of Death." I was blown the fuck away because I'd never heard anything like it. Sounds weird to say this about a random dude jamming on his guitar, but it was a moment I'll never forget and it absolutely paved the way for the expansion of my taste in metal.

Pretty much the same thing happened with me. It was a friend of mine that played first "Ride the Lightning" and then followed up with "Angel of Death." Then followed that with several minutes of wimpering and hand rubbing. Before that I was listening to grunge/alt. rock (as that was the thing then). After that I listened to metal. Although it was many years later before I could really appreciate Slayer.

I always wanted to do a Dune inspired metal band.

Blind Guardian has at least one Dune-related song, "Traveler In Time." I'd link but I'm slacking at work on my phone. ;)

It also opens one of my favorite Blind Guardian albums.

Before that I was listening to grunge/alt. rock (as that was the thing then).

I got into grunge, particularly AIC and Soundgarden, when the first wave of it really hit around 1992. Great stuff that I still listen to today.

Never stopped listening to metal, although craptastic releases from a few of my favorite bands in the 90s dampened my enthusiasm, leading me to branch into death metal (Death and Carcass for starters, so tasty) and prog (Dream Theater). Then in the early 00s I discovered European power metal (starting with Blind Guardian) and black metal (Dimmu Borgir, Immortal) which opened up a whole new world.

Archived