Daario Naharis isn't so bad.

E-Ro

He's hated coz he got to bump uglies with the silver-haired bombshell. He is the badboy from high school who annoyingly got all the hot girls.

This is part of the reason, but the main reason is that he's a sack of sh*t and she could do much better. A man who truly loves her? Jorah. A man who could hand her one of the Seven kingdoms? Quentin. A man wealthy enough to finance her invasion of Westeros? Xaro. All these in addition to Victarion/Aeron/Tommen/Stannis/Jon/Tyrion or all the other major players who could potentially give her a huge advantage in conquering Westeros.

Daario does carry himself as an alpha-male, which is off-putting to a lot of readers. Especially because we know she has so many better options, both emotionally and pragmatically.

No one has any right at all to decide who is and isn't good enough for someone else. It's consensual, both parties are happy.

This is it in a nutshell.

Dany chose him, there can be no doubt about that. He's the one she wants. She brings him up nearly a dozen times whens she's wandering the grasslands, all positively. She thinks/hopes he'll come to her rescue. I hope he does.

Well, actually, no, have to add to that. I hope she comes to his rescue, she's the dragon lady, after all.

Daario is problematic on two levels.

1. He's written as a cartoon. Blue hair, triple-forked beard, he's impossible to take seriously. Except that Daenerys does take him seriously,which creates an unhealthy dissonance - cracks appear in the suspension of disbelief.

2. He's yet another boring Essos side-plot. Daenerys needs to get to Westeros as soon as possible for the sake of the story. Daario is holding her back.

1. He's written as a cartoon. Blue hair, triple-forked beard, he's impossible to take seriously. Except that Daenerys does take him seriously,which creates an unhealthy dissonance - cracks appear in the suspension of disbelief.

Not really, though. He's got a confidence that some women find appealing (ahem). She says he makes love to her really, really well (another plus). She says he's "beautiful". Step into her shoes, and he's written rather well.

This is it in a nutshell.

Dany chose him, there can be no doubt about that. He's the one she wants. She brings him up nearly a dozen times whens she's wandering the grasslands, all positively. She thinks/hopes he'll come to her rescue. I hope he does.

Well, actually, no, have to add to that. I hope she comes to his rescue, she's the dragon lady, after all.

Unfortunately for her, I don't think Daario thinks the same way. Let's be honest, if she didn't present herself as a queen, he wouldn't give two shits about her. Daario isn't a man to be trusted. Just ask his old friends. At the right price, he'll betray her.

Both parties yes, but unfortunately not the readers, who must endure Dany wasting her time with a worthless sellsword.

Finding this part if the story boring is one thing. Constantly railing over daario and complaining mindlessly over it is completely different.

Not really, though. He's got a confidence that some women find appealing (ahem). She says he makes love to her really, really well (another plus). She says he's "beautiful". Step into her shoes, and he's written rather well.

Haha! Well said brah brah.

Unfortunately for her, I don't think Daario thinks the same way. Let's be honest, if she didn't present herself as a queen, he wouldn't give two shits about her. Daario isn't a man to be trusted. Just ask his old friends. At the right price, he'll betray her.

I don't know about that. She reflects that he is turned on by her as the queen, but what a character thinks in a moment of doubt is not gospel. If that applied to real life, everything we think = gospel truth, the world would be chaos.

And about the queen thing, he's happy for HER to be HIS queen. She's the boss.

A man who truly loves her? Jorah. A man who could hand her one of the Seven kingdoms? Quentin. A man wealthy enough to finance her invasion of Westeros? Xaro. All these in addition to Victarion/Aeron/Tommen/Stannis/Jon/Tyrion or all the other major players who could potentially give her a huge advantage in conquering Westeros.

Yes. How dare she not sleep with the guy who could give her money and power.

He's not so bad. He is a sleezy Tyroshi sell-sword with some martial virtues and few moral failings. Danaerys' fixation on him lessens her. A lot. She has made herself ridiculous in this matter to the point that Daario is the responsible one in the relationship, with in one case literally having a "get out of bed and clear the docket, your honor (I've been bribed to give a plaintiff a good place in line)" moment. She has made herself publicly ridiculous in this matter.

How I hate him.

Personally, I don't see Daario's having turned on The Titan's Bastard and the other guy (whatever his zzzzzzzz name was, LOL), as the end of the world. Sellswords are known be quite fickle and The Titan's Bastard made Daario look like a school boy. Not to mention, it doesn't seem as if the rest of The Storm Crows are all that upset about it. The rest of the company seems to go along with the choice Daario made and I don't think it's because he's threatening to behead every other sellsword in the company.

As far as Daario's idea about how Dany should have handled the wedding and the Mereenese in general, he may have had a point. Look at the Harpy's Sons running rampant until Dany was just about blackmailed into marrying The Hiz and the little trouble with snacks that Belwas encountered in the Queen's box. While Daario's exact ideas about how to deal with the problems were not the most up and up, he was practically screaming at her to be herself, be the dragon, which seems to be the conclusion she came to out on The Dothraki Sea, anyway. He likes the dragon, Dany is the one who needs to learn to like herself, accept herself and her limitations.

Daario's ways and means may leave something to be desired, not to mention.......GRRM could have been more clear in giving him something in his personality to make any of this more acceptable, but I think he really wanted Dany to follow her destiny. He was pissed as hell at her getting married, I try to look at him more clearly on rereads, and I think......while there is a chance he may finally turn, I think the chance is greater that he won't, he'll do some amazing kickass for Dany, unless he's already dead.

Besides, I expect that chance that they will sit together and pick off slices of meat from a dragon charred ox or horse. Sounds romantic.

Eh, forgive me if I think "he might betray dany" is a weak argument.

I think that he might "betray" her in a way that is driven by his infatuation of her. Not a straight-up betrayal, but like killing someone that was politically needed but insulted Dany.

I don't know about that. She reflects that he is turned on by her as the queen, but what a character thinks in a moment of doubt is not gospel. If that applied to real life, everything we think = gospel truth, the world would be chaos.

And about the queen thing, he's happy for HER to be HIS queen. She's the boss.

I'm going by his past actions here. Look at what he did to his old friends. He's a sellsword, and thus can be bought.

Eh, forgive me if I think "he might betray dany" is a weak argument.

It's not just that he might betray Dany. He's already proven that he's untrustworthy. As far as I'm concerned, it's really only a matter of time before he gets a better offer. I hope I'm wrong, but given the type of man he is, I fully expect it. Plus, that's not the only reason I dislike him. He comes across as a caricature, which is a very unappealing trait in a character.

Wasn't that great? Seriously, he "got" her, he was the only one.

LOL, I like a little red meat, you do NOT want to see me with a rare steak. Yes, I think that little fantasy Dany had about sharing Drogon's leavings were quite telling about the basis of understanding between them. It makes clear that Daario not only 'gets' her, it's a simplicity, just like sharing an enjoyable meal.

Daario is problematic on two levels.

2. He's yet another boring Essos side-plot. Daenerys needs to get to Westeros as soon as possible for the sake of the story. Daario is holding her back.

I'm will Leech here. He just seems a bit over the top, maybe if he was introduced as looking like the guy who played him (just got cut out) from the show things would be a little different. I really think is almost purely on looks an maybe a bit of his "swag" if you will that turns most readers off of him. Maybe if we get to see him in action a bit more he will turn some more people to his side. But for now it seems like hes still a few steps below darkstar...

Archived