Daario Naharis isn't so bad.

E-Ro

I'm going to point out that Danaerys' has already betrayed Dario. Specifically to his enemies. The "hostages" deal was more of the same in her starting to pursue a "quiet" life in Mereen like an addict. (i.e. 'It's Dornish spears I need'- no, you already have all the military power you need to defeat Yunkai, Westerosi legitimacy is something you don't have and dearly want- if you intend to invade Westeros- you've become fixated on marrying Hizzar to solve all your problems and Quenten doesn't set you off.)

Daario Naharis is not a bad character, yet he is not a good one too. He's the symbol of Dany's power, as she was finally able to choose who she wants in her bed, and I like that for her. I don't necessarily like her choice, but I appreciate that she was able to make one in the first place. Dany should be allowed to sleep with whomever she wants. I just don't like him because I don't think he brings much to the table. He's too much of a cartoon character, and I think had he been described more as the version the show made of him, he wouldn't be so annoying.

I disagree with the argument that people dislike Daario because he represents the bad-boy of high school. I don't want to go deep into the psychological issue at hand, but then, couldn't everyone's likes and dislikes be justified by it?

She's not moral or strong (with Daario) because she lets Daario - this man who people have already compared to Walder Frey, who views women as objects and boasts of murder and treachery - use her as he will; ''every way a man can have a woman'' I believe the quote is. Especially since she is in a position of power, and he is her servant.

You do realize "every way a man can have a woman" was the author's way of saying mind blowingly good sex, right? That's hardly a thing to hold against the guy. Dany liked it just fine, she says so.

I don't like him because he's a douche and have had to deal with chapter after chapter of swooning over him, even though she knows he's a douche. That and the fucking gold tooth... If I have to hear about that stupid tooth again I'm gonna have to choke a bitch.

He's hated coz he got to bump uglies with the silver-haired bombshell. He is the badboy from high school who annoyingly got all the hot girls.

/thread. I didn't want to say it, but I suspect this is the biggest factor. Common people, get over it, your better then this.

Why do you keep saying "get over it"? Get over what? Dude, why do we have to like him?

No one has any right at all to decide who is and isn't good enough for someone else. It's consensual, both parties are happy.

I don't like him because he's disrespectful, cartoonish, obnoxious bastard. He's a peacock with a sword and gold tooth.

Dany has said it herself that he's bad for her. It's not just because he's low-born. He's volatile and infantile as well. Quentyn came to court to treat with Dany and Daario might as well have pissed on her while screaming, "Mine! Mine! She's mine!" Dany holds Barristan in great esteem and Daario openly mocks him. Bronn is a sellsword and somehow manages to not act like a complete vaginal irrigation device.

Looks like I struck gold with this thread. Who knew daario would get the people going Like this.

Don't be too proud of yourself. Taking a controversial character like Daario, Sansa, Victarion, Jaime, etc... and proclaiming them to be good or bad is one of the easiest ways to get replies. I should know.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/95404-victarions-destiny-badassery-beyond-belief/#entry4865184

I think it's just a case of people being irritated by a romance novel character intruding on a pseudo-historical high fantasy epic.

I don't hate him. He serves a purpose, which will be completed by his death in TWOW - he has to provide a boytoy for Dany, and a reason to turn her back on Slavers' Bay and vow never to return. I'm just taking it in stride.

I'm going to point out that Danaerys' has already betrayed Dario. Specifically to his enemies. The "hostages" deal was more of the same in her starting to pursue a "quiet" life in Mereen like an addict. (i.e. 'It's Dornish spears I need'- no, you already have all the military power you need to defeat Yunkai, Westerosi legitimacy is something you don't have and dearly want- if you intend to invade Westeros- you've become fixated on marrying Hizzar to solve all your problems and Quenten doesn't set you off.)

I do think she went about the whole Slaver's Bay situation in completely the wrong way, but that's for about 5,000 other threads. That said, exchanging hostages is a war time strategy that is meant to ensure peace. Granted, I think she was completely wrong to trust Hizdarh. And IIRC, she sent Daario because she saw him as a danger to the alliance as he was planning a RW type deal. I can very well see how Daario would see it as a betrayal. And if he does, his alliance with Dany is over.

I said ''abandoned'' because in this respect, Dany is no longer the ''good side'' heroine that readers traditionally root for.

When was she ever the traditional "good side" heroine? Compared to burning Mirri, the slaughter of everyone over 12 in Astapor, crucifying hundreds of people, Daario is small potatoes, isn't even in the same galaxy as those things.

So far from what we've seen on screen, Dany has been responsible for a lot more bad or at least questionable morally acts than Daario.

She's not moral or strong (with Daario) because she lets Daario - this man who people have already compared to Walder Frey, who views women as objects and boasts of murder and treachery - use her as he will; ''every way a man can have a woman'' I believe the quote is. Especially since she is in a position of power, and he is her servant.

So she's not moral or strong because she has a good and varied sex life with him and lets him take the lead in bed sometimes?

1. Jon Snow and Ygritte genuinely share feelings for each other, and throughout their relationship Jon knows it's wrong. Dany and Daario share little feelings beyond animal lust, and Dany shows little regret for her actions with him.

That's your opinion. IMO Dany's feelings are just as strong and genuine as Jon's were. And the only thing Jon regrets is breaking his vows.

When Ygritte murders and steals she speaks of necessity - that is the way of life beyond the Wall, but for Daario it is completely different.

Yeah, Slaver's Bay is a total paradise, no need to be ruthless there at all, especially when you are a sellsword, everyone knows this is a job perfect for the faint of hearts.

This is part of the reason, but the main reason is that he's a sack of sh*t and she could do much better. A man who truly loves her? Jorah. A man who could hand her one of the Seven kingdoms? Quentin. A man wealthy enough to finance her invasion of Westeros? Xaro. All these in addition to Victarion/Aeron/Tommen/Stannis/Jon/Tyrion or all the other major players who could potentially give her a huge advantage in conquering Westeros.

Daario does carry himself as an alpha-male, which is off-putting to a lot of readers. Especially because we know she has so many better options, both emotionally and pragmatically.

Wow, as a woman close to Dany's age, lemme tell you, Daario IS the best she could do in Meereen.

In what UNIVERSE does Jorah love her?? He betrayed her secrets to the man she hated the most, endangering Dany. He has a creepy fixation with Dany even though she's like a third of his age and CLEARLY not interested in him. He's trying to get a "do-over" with his first wife, who also didn't care for him. Plus he's an asshole, remember when he sold PEOPLE into SLAVERY and got mad that Ned was going to punish him? And then called the people he sold "lice-ridden poachers"?

Quentyn proposed to her almost on her wedding day. She couldn't break it off. And she was already getting married to a guy she didn't like for the sake of Meereen.

Xaro is a snake and clearly not interested in women anyway. He just wanted her dragons. I'm pretty sure she dodged a bullet there!

All the other people you mentioned: Victarion/Aeron/Tommen/Stannis/Jon/Tyrion. She doesn't even know them. And: 1) killed his first wife; 2) is a religious freak; 3) is 8 and married; 4) is married and also a religious freak and fought against her father; 5) is celibate; 6) is a woman-hating alcoholic asshole probably riddled with STDs/raped his first wife/killed his latest lover

Daario sure is looking pretty good right now!

Personally, I don't see Daario's having turned on The Titan's Bastard and the other guy (whatever his zzzzzzzz name was, LOL), as the end of the world. Sellswords are known be quite fickle and The Titan's Bastard made Daario look like a school boy. Not to mention, it doesn't seem as if the rest of The Storm Crows are all that upset about it. The rest of the company seems to go along with the choice Daario made and I don't think it's because he's threatening to behead every other sellsword in the company.

As far as Daario's idea about how Dany should have handled the wedding and the Mereenese in general, he may have had a point. Look at the Harpy's Sons running rampant until Dany was just about blackmailed into marrying The Hiz and the little trouble with snacks that Belwas encountered in the Queen's box. While Daario's exact ideas about how to deal with the problems were not the most up and up, he was practically screaming at her to be herself, be the dragon, which seems to be the conclusion she came to out on The Dothraki Sea, anyway. He likes the dragon, Dany is the one who needs to learn to like herself, accept herself and her limitations.

Exactly.

He comes across as a caricature, which is a very unappealing trait in a character.

If he were a flat cariacture, as a few posters have complained, how would different readers have such wildly different takes on his character? One dimensional characters don't usually leave room for debate.

I certainly wouldn't date Daario, and I can't see him and Dany living happily ever after, but he seems pretty good for her right now. (If he's still alive.)

Why do you keep saying "get over it"? Get over what? Dude, why do we have to like him?

I said get over it twice, it's not like I'm repeating myself over and over. You don't have to like him, I just think you should have better reasons then "the girl I liked in hs ignored me because of someone just like daario." Daario is being blamed for nonsense that isn't his fault, stuff that happened irl, not in the novels. No other character is treated this way.

Don't be too proud of yourself. Taking a controversial character like Daario, Sansa, Victarion, Jaime, etc... and proclaiming them to be good or bad is one of the easiest ways to get replies. I should know.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/95404-victarions-destiny-badassery-beyond-belief/#entry4865184

It's too late, I'm already super proud.

If he were a flat cariacture, as a few posters have complained, how would different readers have such wildly different takes on his character? One dimensional characters don't usually leave room for debate.

I certainly wouldn't date Daario, and I can't see him and Dany living happily ever after, but he seems pretty good for her right now. (If he's still alive.)

He doesn't have any real depth to him. The reason for the debate is that some people don't mind the way he behaves and others do. He's not given many traits, but those he has are polarizing. I'll grant that he might not be as one-dimensional as possible, but compared to a lot of other non-POV characters, he has no real depth as a character. He's a brutal sell-sword with some swag (seven hells I can't believe I just used that word). That's literally the only thing we know about him and it's the only side we see.

I said get over it twice, it's not like I'm repeating myself over and over. You don't have to like him, I just think you should have better reasons then "the girl I liked in hs ignored me because of someone just like daario." Daario is being blamed for nonsense that isn't his fault, stuff that happened irl, not in the novels. No other character is treated this way.

It's too late, I'm already super proud.

Oh, I see.

He doesn't have any real depth to him. The reason for the debate is that some people don't mind the way he behaves and others do. He's not given many traits, but those he has are polarizing. I'll grant that he might not be as one-dimensional as possible, but compared to a lot of other non-POV characters, he has no real depth as a character. He's a brutal sell-sword with some swag (seven hells I can't believe I just used that word). That's literally the only thing we know about him and it's the only side we see.

He's got lots of personality. He's confident, he's beautiful, he's a good kisser, he's a good lover, he's romantic (he gave her flowers!), he's funny (Ser Grandfather, come on, that was good), he's loyal to Dany, he encourages Dany to be herself, he's fine with her being boss (in fact, it's a turn on for him), he's brave, he's a good fighter, ...

Not sure what you're looking for in terms of characterization, but that seems like a lot to go on...

Archived