Tyrion/Arya: 938(each) :bang:

Daenerys/Sansa/Theon: 8

Cersei: 6

Jon/Arianne/Asha: 5

Bran/Barristan/Victarion/Samwell: 4

Jaime/Davos/Melisandre/Aeron/Connington: 3

Brienne: 2

Areo: 1

I think Tyrion and Arya are his two best POV's. Why you wouldn't want to read more of them is beyond me:)

I think Tyrion and Arya are his two best POV's. Why you wouldn't want to read more of them is beyond me:)

They are overused only because GRRM loves them(and it shows), Arya post-ACOK and Tyrion in ADWD are like Brienne in AFFC: 80% filler, 5% character development, 15% unnecessary world building.

Too much focus, no real relevance to the plot. Just pointless kidnappings, descriptions and dialogues or monologues that make me wanna sleep, besides, they don't do anything to advance the plot, actually, they do the opposite.

And honestly, I hate Arya's POV's since ever, they bore me to death. The only book in which they were cool was ACOK, and still... Not that great.

I really can't see why people love them so much. :crying:

Tyrion and Arya are not his two best POVs for everybody.Personally I find Tyrion the best written POV character but Arya was very hard for me to read in CoK and SoS.She had 22 chapters doing things that could be in 7-10 chapters.In FFC and DWD she was one of my favourites.

Tyrion and Arya are not his two best POVs for everybody.Personally I find Tyrion the best written POV character but Arya was very hard for me to read in CoK and SoS.She had 22 chapters doing things that could be in 7-10 chapters.In FFC and DWD she was one of my favourites.

:agree:

• 7 months later...

My best guess:

Jon Snow: 9 chapters (mostly in the second half of the book)

Tyrion Lannister: 7 chapters (mostly in the first half)

Daenerys Targaryen: 7 chapters

Arya Stark: 6 chapters

Sansa Stark: 6 chapters

Davos Seaworth: 5 chapters

Cersei Lannister: 5 chapters (dies at the end)

Arianne Martell: 5 chapters

Theon Greyjoy: 4 chapters

Samwell Tarly: 4 chapters

Brienne of Tarth: 4 chapters

Barristan Selmy: 4 chapters

Jon Connington: 4 chapters

Bran Stark: 3 chapters

Melisandre: 3 chapters

Jaime Lannister: 3 chapters

Victarion Greyjoy: 2 chapters (dies)

Aeron Greyjoy: 2 chapters

Areo Hotah: 1 chapter

Asha Greyjoy: 1 chapter (dies)

Prologue: Forley Prester

Eiplogue: Random Night's Watch guy

This makes a total of 87 chapters which is about the limit.

• 2 weeks later...

Samwell 2

Sure, everything at the Wall will be important between the Wildlings and the Others, but think about why Samwell was sent to Oldtown. He's obviously got loads of research ahead of him. U believe he had a major role to play, whether he discovers some secret magic that went into building the wall or the ultimate weapon to beat the Others. Between that and checking on Gilly, he deserves more than just 2 chapters, IMO.

Everyone is seeing a lot of death for POV characters, if I had to guess, I'd go with:

1) Jon Con (greyscale is already there, he can't afford to wait, that ma get him killed)

2) Victarion (that horn will get him killed somehow, though he is trying to be careful, Euron will do him in)

3) Cersei (probably near the end of the book)

4) Theon (after he does something heroic to redeem himself)

I think Barristan, Jaime, Brienne, and Asha all will make it through. Areo could bite the dust, I guess.

I think Tyrion, Dany, and Jon will have the most chapters. They are the main characters, after all.

Sansa, Arya, Cersei, and Bran will have a good amount as well. They are the only POV characters in their regions.

Sam and Davos are as well, but they'll have more minor roles in the story. Arianne and Jon Con will split the Egg chapters, but Arianne will have the lion's share. Asha and Theon the Stannis chapters. Jaime and Brienne the Riverlands.

Barristan and Victarion will fill in the Mereen stuff than Dany and Tyrion don't cover. Mel can cover for Jon at the Wall. Ditto for the Dorne stuff with Areo for Arianne (if he's even back at all as a POV). I don't know if we'll have more Aeron stuff or not.

8+ = Tyrion, Dany, Jon

5-7 = Sansa, Arya, Cersei, Bran

3-4 = Barristan, Sam, Arianne, Asha, Theon, Jaime, Victarion

1-2 = Davos, Brienne, JonCon, Mel

0-1 = Areo, Aeron

If we get a new POV, I think one from Highgarden's perspective would be interesting. Margaery or the Queen of Thorns for certain. We've had Starks and Lannisters aplenty. Targs. Dorne has been represented. Theon and Ahsa for the Ironborn. Tully's if one counts Cat (I do). The Arryn's are all gone save for SweetRobin, and the Vale is represented via Sansa's views of Littlefinger (though that would also be an interesting new POV). But nothing from inside the heads of the Tyrell's yet.

That would be 90 chapters if everone hits their max, I'd expect slightly less. But I'm also on board with the idea that there will be more chapters than most books, but they will be shorter for the most part. We need to start moving things along.

If we get a new POV, I think one from Highgarden's perspective would be interesting. Margaery or the Queen of Thorns for certain. We've had Starks and Lannisters aplenty. Targs. Dorne has been represented. Theon and Ahsa for the Ironborn. Tully's if one counts Cat (I do). The Arryn's are all gone save for SweetRobin, and the Vale is represented via Sansa's views of Littlefinger (though that would also be an interesting new POV). But nothing from inside the heads of the Tyrell's yet.

Samwell is in Oldtown, so he can serve as a Reach-POV,given that we probably won't have any new POV.

Daenerys: 10

Tyrion: 9

Sansa: 7

Jon: 6

Sam: 6

Cersei: 5

Arianne: 5

Jaime: 5

Arya: 4

Theon: 4

Davos: 4

Connington: 4

Bran: 3

Barristan: 3

Melisandre: 3

Victarion: 3

Damphair: 3

Asha: 2

Hotah: 2

Of these, I believe Barristan, Melisandre, Victarion and maaaybe Sam vill bite it.

Jon Snow: 1 chapter

JonGhost: 1 chapter

Tyrion Lannister: 8 chapters (mostly in the first half)

Daenerys Targaryen: 9 chapters

Arya Stark: 4 chapters

Sansa Stark: 6 chapters

Davos Seaworth: 6 chapters

Cersei Lannister: 5 chapters (dies at the end)

Arianne Martell: 5 chapters

Theon Greyjoy: 3 chapters (Dies)

Samwell Tarly: 6 chapters

Brienne of Tarth: 2 chapters (Dies)

Barristan Selmy: 5 chapters

Jon Connington: 2 chapters (Dies)

Bran Stark: 4 chapters

Melisandre: 2 chapters

Jaime Lannister: 4 chapters

Victarion Greyjoy: 2 chapters (dies)

Aeron Greyjoy: 2 chapters (dies)

Areo Hotah: 2 chapters

Asha Greyjoy: 4 chapters

Prologue: Forley Prester

Eiplogue: Ser Alisser Thorne (Killed while fighting the Great Other in order to Save Jon).

Daenerys: 10

Tyrion: 9

Jon: 8

Cersei: 6

Davos: 6

Arianne: 5

Sansa: 5
Samwell: 4

Arya: 4

Bran: 3

Theon: 3

Jaime: 3

Brienne: 3

Victarion: 3

Asha: 2

Aeron: 2

Connington: 2

Areo: 1

Melisandre: 1

Prologue: 1

Barristan will die early during the book.

Victarion will die as well.

Connington to.

And Areo.

I'm not going to bother with predictions because, let's be honest, the chances of anyone in here getting it right are slim to none. So instead I will settle on giving an overview on what I would like to see:

Less Tyrion and Jon. I would guess we'll get less Jon anyway, if he dies then he'll probably spend some time running around in Ghost and if not, he'll be out of commission for a while. Tyrion, has had more than his fair share of chapters to begin with, and now he's around a couple of other POV characters (Victarion, Ser Barristan) so I would like Martin to use their POV a little more before he kills them both.

More Sansa, Arya and Bran. The 11 chapters they had between them throughout the entirety of AFFC and ADWD when Arya alone had more than that in just ASOS is a little sad. Of the 3 I would like Bran to have the most, but I don't think that's very likely unless he moves from his cave. If not him, then Sansa, just purely on the basis that Bran has had the least chapters of the 3 and Arya has already had a 10+ chapter count.

I know I shouldn't do this kind of speculation because it only drives me crazy... but it's not like I can help it. *hysterical laugh*

Anyway, here's my take, with the assumption that there will be 80 chapters (not counting prologue or epilogue)

= death may be near

Slaver's Bay / Dothraki Sea (25 in total)
Barristan 3
Daenerys 9 (I'm expecting her to wield her ass back to Meereen within 5 chapters. Dany and Tyrion will probably meet roughly 2/3 into the book.)
Tyrion 9
Victarion 4

The Wall and beyond (12)

Bran 4
Jon 5 (There better be at least 1 chapter of Ghost!Jon since GRRM has promised we'll get to see more of the Winter Wonderland. I'm expecting his resurrection to take place quite soon after the midpoint actually. I think we'll see Jon back in the reins before the book ends.)

Melisandre 3 (I really hope I'm not stretching my hopes here. The more Mel chapters I get the happier I'll be.)

Winterfell (6)
Asha 3
Theon 3

Skagos / The North
Davos 3

King's Landing

Cersei 5

Vale
Sansa 6

Braavos
Arya 5

Storm's End (6)
Arianne 3
JonCon 3

The Riverlands
Jaime 4
Brienne ?

Oldtown / Reach
Samwell 4

Dorne
Areo 2

+ Aeron 2

I had posted this on the prior thread, before I reread the lugubrious monster,A Ball of Beasts (AFFC & ADWD combined)

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/95164-twow-character-pov-ratios/?p=6146467

below I updated my post from the earlier thread a bit as I don't really agree with the earlier predictions:

a while back I made this infographic to illustrate the "mission creep" problems of AFFC/ADWD. The graphic is ordered by when a character's POV first shows up, so Bran is first, Barristan last)

http://s715.photobucket.com/user/lockeender/media/ASOIAF/ASOIAFChapters.jpg.html

the point here is that all the 'appendages' of the AFFC/ADWD are probably an anomaly, and that the rest of the narrative--beginning with The Winds of Winter--will probably be much more compact. Narrative progress in the Winds of Winter will probably be much more akin to the narrative progress of the first three books, as seen in the clean Barriston-to-Tyrion handoff of the preview chapters, which recollect the clean Sansa-to-Tyrion handoff of A Clash of Kings, for example.

--In terms of death, I can only make these POV balance work by hoping for the best: Meaning, I think Barristan, Victarion, Connington, Arianne, Asha, Aeron and Brienne will all die in TWOW, and hopefully many of them relatively early on.

Here is how I see the TWOW character POV ratios playing out.

Dragons
12 Tyrion
8 Dany
2 Barristan
3 Victarion

The North
9 Jon
2 Melisandre
5 Theon
2 Asha

The Riverlands & Vale
5 Jaime
3 Sansa
1 Brienne

Kings Landing
9 Cersei
4 Arianne
1 Connington

Sequestered POVs not interacting with other POVs
1 Aeron
1 Areo
2 Bran
2 Davos
3 Sam
5 Arya

that's 80 chapters, which is right in line with the number of chapters ASOS and ADWD, ah but word count matters too!

unfortunately, I don't have word counts per chapter, but I do have pages per chapter, which gives us the following data, which indicates that GRRM is backing away from the novella chapters of AFFC and returning towards the direction of shorter more efficient chapters of the first three books.

average chapter length based on US hardcover first editions:
AGOT: 9.3 pages
ACOK: 10.4 pages
ASOS: 11.3 pages
AFFC: 14.9 pages
ADWD: 13.2 pages

So if GRRM writes somewhere between his ASOS and ADWD manner he can deliver a volume in the size of either of those, with the same amount of chapters (70-80) covering all the characters in the cast.

so, chapter size is falling, indicating isolated characters, mileau development and travelogue are on the way out for the coming book.

I have a feeling that WoW will feel much more narratively compact because it has three primary narrative threads with multiple characters in each thread but relatively little movement from thread to thread.

Archived