Would Stannis kneel down for Dany?

ymaface

Renly was not known for his intelligence or learning. Quite the opposite. And he was trying to make a case for breaking the rules of inheritance.

Ned said Robert got the throne because of his blood, and I trust Ned over Renly anyday.

It's not only Renly. Jaime says it, Cersei says it, I think even Robert says it at some point... The ONLY one who says anything about Robert having a 'better claim' is Ned, who didn't want the throne and would find any excuse to have Robert sit it instead of himself.

It's not only Renly. Jaime says it, Cersei says it, I think even Robert says it at some point... The ONLY one who says anything about Robert having a 'better claim' is Ned, who didn't want the throne and would find any excuse to have Robert sit it instead of himself.

Actually Ned says "You had the better claim, Your Grace" but he never specifies what kind of claim he had. He may mean the claim he won with his warhammer.

Why would he? As far as he, and all of the realm at the time, is concerned, the Targaryen claim is long dead. That was settled at the Trident and the Sack. A few of their loyalists pined after Viserys but most accepted the new regime and won't move for Dany unless it looks like she has an overwhelming advantage. Which she may get. Which will be a problem for Stannis.

I believe Stannis will most likely fall to the Others before Dany arrives, but if he doesn't, and is still making a fighting retreat south, he will hear no talk of giving up his claim. He may go into exile and wait for Dany to fall, or try to assassinate her, perhaps with the help of the Faith. He is not the type to accept conquest.

The concept of "right of conquest" is a bit dodgy to me, as well. I don't think there is really such a right, in the sense of something that people will recognize at the time. It's more of a historical view, a precedent applied long after the fact. Conquest is conquest; it means all who are disgruntled with the new regime, all who doubt it, all who would keep resisting, are destroyed. Stannis would be he first obstacle to go, not a later one who one would think to appeal to on the basis of "It's over! You've lost! You must see that!"

2. Do you know what salic law is? Male descenands before any female. Females never inherit their children inherit. So Stannis before Dany.

I do think you are wrong about this. Salic law, or agnatic succession, follows the male line of a dynasty. Since the Baratheons descend from a female line of the Targaryen dynasty, Salic law actually disqualifies the Baratheons from any claims.

According to Encyclopaedia Britannica:

"Salic Law of Succession, the rule by which, in certain sovereign dynasties, persons descended from a previous sovereign only through a woman were excluded from succession to the throne."

According to Wikipedia:

"Under Salic law an agnatic successor to a throne or title can still be female, provided that the kinship is calculated patrilineally and there are no living men of male-line descent.[2]"

Being the only remaining descendant of the main male-line of the Targaryen dynasty, Daenerys have a stronger claim to the throne then Stannis.

ETA: That being said, Right of Conquest does apply for the Baratheon dynasty.

ETA2: Nevermind. Got my Baratheon history mixed up.

Even though, Aegon III descended the throne through the female line of his mother Rhaenyra after the Dance of the Dragons, even though there presumably were living male descendants of the male line, showing that Salic law isn't set in stone in Westeros.

Yet things change after the Dance.

Why would he? As far as he, and all of the realm at the time, is concerned, the Targaryen claim is long dead. That was settled at the Trident and the Sack. A few of their loyalists pined after Viserys but most accepted the new regime and won't move for Dany unless it looks like she has an overwhelming advantage. Which she may get. Which will be a problem for Stannis.

I believe Stannis will most likely fall to the Others before Dany arrives, but if he doesn't, and is still making a fighting retreat south, he will hear no talk of giving up his claim. He may go into exile and wait for Dany to fall, or try to assassinate her, perhaps with the help of the Faith. He is not the type to accept conquest.

The concept of "right of conquest" is a bit dodgy to me, as well. I don't think there is really such a right, in the sense of something that people will recognize at the time. It's more of a historical view, a precedent applied long after the fact. Conquest is conquest; it means all who are disgruntled with the new regime, all who doubt it, all who would keep resisting, are destroyed. Stannis would be he first obstacle to go, not a later one who one would think to appeal to on the basis of "It's over! You've lost! You must see that!"

The Faith, and seemingly every other religious zealot, look at Stannis as a demon worshipping fool. No way the Faith helps him do anythinng as long as he supports the red god and has melissandre on his side. And when she realizes Stannis isn't AAR, she'll abandon him, but the stigma that most of Westeros attaches to R'Hollor worshippers will remain.

Even though, Aegon III descended the throne through the female line of his mother Rhaenyra after the Dance of the Dragons, even though there presumably were living male descendants of the male line, showing that Salic law isn't set in stone in Westeros.

It was after the Dance of the Dragons that Salic law was established. Doesn't really matter though, the Targ and Baratheon lines are separate.

Actually Ned says "You had the better claim, Your Grace" but he never specifies what kind of claim he had. He may mean the claim he won with his warhammer.

In which case then House Clegane has an equal claim to the throne. Robert didn't conquer any lands or depose any rulers with his warhammer, all he did was kill the next in line to the throne, which is the same thing Gregor did a few days later. You very well know what Ned meant, and it had nothing to do with a warhammer.

The whole Stannis-is-the-rightful-king argument is silly. Stannis bases his legitimacy on his brother usurping the Throne, but if usurping the throne gives you the right to it, then Tommen is the rightful king.

Jon has the best claim through blood, and Dany will probably have the best claim through conquest, but Stannis has nothing. If usurping gives you the right, then it's Tommen's throne. If usurping doesn't give you the right, then it never was Robert's.

In which case then House Clegane has an equal claim to the throne. Robert didn't conquer any lands or depose any rulers with his warhammer, all he did was kill the next in line to the throne, which is the same thing Gregor did a few days later. You very well know what Ned meant, and it had nothing to do with a warhammer.

any quote to prove it?

edit: I still waiting for the quote that states that Robert took the throne through his grandmother.

If Robert took the throne because of his Targaryen blood, why is it a BARATHEON dynasty?

Simply BS.

The only reason the Targ blood was ever brought is neither Ned or Jon wanting to do anything with the throne.

Robert took it by the right of conquest. Lannisters sacking KL has nothing to do with it, as they put no one on the throne and later supported Robert.

any quote to proof it?

edit: I still waiting for the quote that states that Robert took the throne through his grandmother.

You know very well that Ned doesn't explicitly spell it out, but you're being deliberately obtuse by refusing to admit what he clearly meant. It's okay. There aren't any reliable quotes about Robert taking the Throne by conquest either, just Renly trying to justify stealing the IT.

If Robert took the throne because of his Targaryen blood, why is it a BARATHEON dynasty?

Simply BS.

The only reason the Targ blood was ever brought is neither Ned or Jon wanting to do anything with the throne.

Robert took it by the right of conquest. Lannisters sacking KL has nothing to do with it, as they put no one on the throne and later supported Robert.

This. The goal of the Rebellion first and foremost was to remove Aerys. Once this was accomplished, a successor had to be found. Robert seemed to be the logical choice for two reasons: (1)his defeat of Rhaegar and the Targ host at the Ruby Ford; and (2) his familial connection to the Targs. IMO the latter consideration was more of a PR move because it was a way to connect the establishment of a new dynasty, House Baratheon, to the Targ dynasty it succeeded.

You know very well that Ned doesn't explicitly spell it out, but you're being deliberately obtuse by refusing to admit what he clearly meant. It's okay. There aren't any reliable quotes about Robert taking the Throne by conquest either, just Renly trying to justify stealing the IT.

Sorry, but it's you that is being obtuse. Why is it a Baratheon dynasty? Why did they not put Viserys on the throne? Why do they call Robert 'The Usurper'? All of these questions have the same answer. It's because Robert won the throne by conquest. The only person who even mentions Robert's 'claim' is Ned, who explicitly stated he never wanted the throne and is an unreliable source, even if there was a direct quote, which there isn't.

Archived